By: Anonymous: Fonda Honda ()  Saturday, 20 September 2014 @ 05:23 PM ICT (Read 3470 times)  

Chiang Rai Saddlebags has the Givi E21 hard panniers with a "universal rack" that they say "so far, these have easily mounted up to the Kawasaki Versys, ER6N and Ninja sport bikes, the Honda Phantom and the Kawasaki Boss". They have no experience trying to mount them on a CTX. Has any one tried to mount the Givi panniers onto a CTX 700n? Any success? Are modifications to the rack required? If "yes", and "yes", can you please explain or show pictures of what is required. Thanks.

By: Anonymous: David ()  Saturday, 20 September 2014 @ 09:45 PM ICT  

This belongs in 'Classifieds' Marty.

By: Anonymous: Fonda Honda ()  Sunday, 21 September 2014 @ 08:05 AM ICT  

This is not an "ad". I have a CTX and I want to buy the panniers if I can make them fit on my bike. The post belongs in "Honda" or "accessories", not classifieds. Thanks.

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Sunday, 21 September 2014 @ 09:00 AM ICT  

Some people have made custom brackets to mount the Givi Monokey E21 Cruiser panniers. I you lived in Bangkok I could give you some directions to a shop who is specialized in making stainless steel brackets to transport anything from gas bottles to iceboxes and who knows what... I'm sure a shop like this would be capable to make brackets to fit the Givi Monokey E21 luggage on the Honda CTX700N.

Also, I would be surprised if the shop I know in Bangkok is the only one, so surely you can find a shop like this in Chiang Mai... (just ask the guy who delivers the gas bottles, that is how I found the shop I know).

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: Fonda Honda ()  Saturday, 27 September 2014 @ 08:19 PM ICT  

Quote by: ThaiDesign

Some people have made custom brackets to mount the Givi Monokey E21 Cruiser panniers. I you lived in Bangkok I could give you some directions to a shop who is specialized in making stainless steel brackets to transport anything from gas bottles to iceboxes and who knows what... I'm sure a shop like this would be capable to make brackets to fit the Givi Monokey E21 luggage on the Honda CTX700N.

Also, I would be surprised if the shop I know in Bangkok is the only one, so surely you can find a shop like this in Chiang Mai... (just ask the guy who delivers the gas bottles, that is how I found the shop I know).

Thanks. I am in Pattaya. I expect that you are right that someone could fashion racks for the Givi boxes to fit my bike. In fact, the CTX 700 web site has a post from a guy in the US who had some racks made and is offering them for sale in the US. They look like folded black sheet metal with some holes drilled in them to attach the boxes. If I had better pictures, I would take them to an iron monger here and see if he can make a pair. Still hoping that someone can tell me what is required to make the universal racks work on a CTX, but I may go the "racks from scratch" route if no one yells.

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 27 September 2014 @ 09:16 PM ICT  

I'm pretty sure that you can do it in Thailand much cheaper and I would not use regular steel, my advice is use stainless steel for stuff like this...

Stainless steel is maybe a few hundred THB more expensive, but after some time you really start to appreciate you selected stainless steel.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Fonda Honda ()  Tuesday, 30 September 2014 @ 12:09 PM ICT  

Quote by: news

I'm pretty sure that you can do it in Thailand much cheaper and I would not use regular steel, my advice is use stainless steel for stuff like this...

Stainless steel is maybe a few hundred THB more expensive, but after some time you really start to appreciate you selected stainless steel.

I am sure that you are right about getting them made in Thailand, someone can do it. My bike is 100% black, so black racks and black side cases/panniers is IMO required. I would use good quality and pretty thick steel, but they need to be paintable. Can stainless steel be painted black? I have some pictures of what others have done to make racks for the Givi side boxes, which I will post if I can figure out how to upload them to this site.

By: Fonda Honda (offline)  Tuesday, 30 September 2014 @ 12:50 PM ICT  

Quote by: Fonda Honda

Quote by: news

I am sure that you are right about getting them made in Thailand, someone can do it. My bike is 100% black, so black racks and black side cases/panniers is IMO required. I would use good quality and pretty thick steel, but they need to be paintable. Can stainless steel be painted black? I have some pictures of what others have done to make racks for the Givi side boxes, which I will post if I can figure out how to upload them to this site.

Here are some pictures of what others have done in the US. The first picture is a complete new rack, and the Givi boxes are bolted onto it. The second picture uses the Givi rack with a metal bracket welded to the top/sides of the rack to bolt it to the bike.

Click on image to openClick on image to open

Fonda Honda

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

8 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association