By: Anonymous: Kawasaki_Tracker ()  Thursday, 19 December 2013 @ 05:33 PM ICT (Read 1873 times)  

The blue plastic on the used 2007 250 D-Tracker was in very bad shape when I got it with less than 5000km on it.

The guy that owned it before me said the blue had bubbled up or something like that.

When I got the bike the only good blue was the back of the front fender which showed minor fading and the 2pc headlight bezel which looked PERECT somehow

Japanese plastic vs Thai plastic?

I am reading that plastic parts (side covers, shrouds etc) are much cheaper in Thailand.than the USA etc

Is the plastic available at Thai Kawasaki shops inferior? I know here in the Philippines genuine Kawasaki and Honda parts are not cheap just because it's Asia

By: Anonymous: Red Ride ()  Thursday, 26 December 2013 @ 08:51 AM ICT  

All D tracker 250's are made in Thailand regardless of where you are in the world

All the plastic parts are made here too. Out side of Thailand they cost more due to shipping and import tax and fees

2007 is a very old bike. was it left out in the sun that is more harsh here ? Not well taken care of ?

Getting new ones on a bike that is in less than ideal condition is cheep and easy to make your bike look new again

By: news (offline)  Thursday, 26 December 2013 @ 09:39 AM ICT  

It will probably sound weird, but plastic made with the same formula is the same quality everywhere it's made, regardless if it's made in Thailand, Japan or China.

I have some, or I should say “had”, nice plastic garden chairs made in Germany. And even for German standards this chairs where not from the cheapest brand name. But the plastic chairs did not last that long, they turn brittle and when I tried to sit on one the plastic turned into all small little pieces... similar as you get with old fashion car safety glass.

The problem with plastic and rubber in Thailand is the constant temperature and the daily overwhelming amount of UV-light.

Many natural and synthetic polymers are attacked by ultra-violet radiation and products made using these materials may crack or disintegrate (if they're not UV-stable). The problem is known as UV degradation, and is a common problem in products exposed to sunlight. Continuous exposure is a more serious problem than intermittent exposure, since attack is dependent on the extent and degree of exposure.
Many pigments and dyes can also be affected, when the problem is known as phototendering.

UV attack by sunlight can be ameliorated or prevented by adding anti-UV chemicals to the polymer when mixing the ingredients, prior to shaping the product by injection moulding for example. UV Stabilizers in plastics usually act by absorbing the UV radiation preferentially, and dissipating the energy as low level heat. The chemicals used are similar to those used in sunscreen cosmetic products, which protect skin from UV attack.

Downside is adding UV protection chemicals to the polymer when mixing the ingredients will also change the desired properties of the plastic.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association