10 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: kikou57 (offline)  Sunday, 06 October 2013 @ 03:34 PM ICT (Read 6861 times)  

Hi,

I am very interested to buy a Yamaha MT-O9 here in Thailand. I saw them in Yamaha motorcycle french office.
I read on some forums that the bike have been built here in Thailand. It is 40kg lighter than the kawasaki Z800 and 1200 euros cheaper, once sold later on this month in Europe. it would be the best deal in mid-range motorbike on the market. But sadly the infos on forums were wrong and the MT-09 is built in Japan.
This mean it would cost more than the Kawasaki Z800 if even one day sold here due to the crazy import taxes.

Anybody got info about a possible sell of this new bike on the growing thai Motorcycle market ?

Thanks

Frederic

Click on image to openClick on image to openClick on image to openClick on image to open

kikou57

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: fred (offline)  Monday, 07 October 2013 @ 07:57 AM ICT  

If imported it will be so expensive that it's not worth even considering. The taxes for an imported 800c bike is very high, regardless of cylinders count.
The imported FZ8 which is a 4-cyl 800cc, costs 499,000 Baht. and still have to pay insurance and small tax. a few 10K baht.
www.yamaha-motor.co.th/ridersclub/Spec_FZ8.aspx

The MT-09 will cost around that price if imported.

But, If manufactured locally, which I doubt, it should cost circa 360-380K Baht. in the price ranges of the Z800. otherwise they will have no market.

Edit: after some research, many sites claim it's made in Thailand, but will not be sold in Thailand. As usual...
I think maybe Yamaha is ready to give support for this bike in Thailand. it required qualified engineers to provide support for such an advanced bike.

fred

Group Comfort
Level:
: +5

By: news (offline)  Monday, 07 October 2013 @ 08:02 AM ICT  

The Yamaha MT-09 is only partly assembled in Thailand, it's possible that Yamaha will move the complete production of the Yamaha MT-09 to Thailand as they are still expending the manufacturing facilities in Thailand.

Yamaha is planning to expend the small-bike and big bike operation in Southeast Asia, and have increased the business at Bangna-Trad Road, Samutprakarn.

I would not try to import a Yamaha MT-09, as it's possible that Yamaha will start selling the new 847cc triple cylinder motorcycle in Thailand. You not want to have a expensive privately imported motorcycle which you can buy at the Yamaha dealer down the street... for 100K THB less....

Yamaha initially have set the production for the MT-09 to 11,000 units for worldwide distribution, which can be seen as an indication that Yamaha is checking the market for the new 3-cylinder engine.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: kikou57 ()  Monday, 07 October 2013 @ 12:27 PM ICT  

Yamaha Motor France told me only scooters are built in Thailand so far and that their big bikes are still made in Japan as far as they know there is no changes planned. But they are not aware of everything maybe. We know that Japonese manufacturers for many reasons are moving out of Japan and Thailand would be a good destination for set up complete units of production for high end motorcycle.
Would be great to have the knowledge of an insider.
11000 units only of MT09 seem very low for a first batch. Lets see what first european orders this month will show.
Between that I will head for a Z800 as it is still the best value for money mid-engine on the thai market so far.

)------------------------(

Quote by: news

The Yamaha MT-09 is only partly assembled in Thailand, it's possible that Yamaha will move the complete production of the Yamaha MT-09 to Thailand as they are still expending the manufacturing facilities in Thailand.

Yamaha is planning to expend the small-bike and big bike operation in Southeast Asia, and have increased the business at Bangna-Trad Road, Samutprakarn.

I would not try to import a Yamaha MT-09, as it's possible that Yamaha will start selling the new 847cc triple cylinder motorcycle in Thailand. You not want to have a expensive privately imported motorcycle which you can buy at the Yamaha dealer down the street... for 100K THB less....

Yamaha initially have set the production for the MT-09 to 11,000 units for worldwide distribution, which can be seen as an indication that Yamaha is checking the market for the new 3-cylinder engine.

By: Max (offline)  Wednesday, 09 October 2013 @ 01:32 PM ICT  

The MT-09 won`t necessarily be very expensive. Suzuki are selling the Japanese made DL650 V-Strom for the same price as it sells for in Europe. If Yamaha have the same aspirations as Suzuki to be a player in the big bike market here you may well see it sell for reasonable money, especially as it`s retail price in the UK and Europe is already low. If it was priced here the same as the Kawasaki Z800 I could see it taking many sales from Kawasaki. I`d certainly be interested in buying one myself. We can but hope.

Max

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: kikou57 ()  Saturday, 12 October 2013 @ 11:34 AM ICT  

Quote : "The MT-09 won`t necessarily be very expensive. Suzuki are selling the Japanese made DL650 V-Strom for the same price as it sells for in Europe."

As the MT-09 is built in Japan, Yamaha motorcycle Thailand have to pay more than 100 % taxes to import them here in Thailand.
Same goes for all imported motorcycle, even the ones built in Thai factory if there is not a MOU with the BOI to avoid taxes.

I personally never saw any DL650 V storm in Bangkok but there is plenty of Ducatis all around town. Some imported from Italy and some localy built and sold for the local market at a reasonable price.
I just noticed that the Ducati hypermotard is sold at the same price here in Thailand as in Europe, around 499 900 baht, which would mean it is built here in Thailand. Otherwise if imported it should cost no less than 700 k ++.

There may have chance in imported duties but so far I am not aware of them.

So far the import duties are still 80 % plus excise tax and VAT which more than double the price of the bike at the end on the local market.
If you never saw the official gouverment papers here it is : www2.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/PersonalVehiclesPermanent/PermanentImport.jsp?menuNme=PersonalPer

Wish his crazy rules not exist but they do exist....

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 12 October 2013 @ 02:00 PM ICT  

The import duties and taxes specified on the customs website are for the import of a personal vehicle. Companies who have an official import license pay much less import duty and taxes.

If the motorcycle is manufactured in Japan as the Yamaha MT-09, the import duty of parts for assembling the motorcycle in Thailand is even less than what a company with a import license would pay.

For example the Suzuki V-Strom DL650 is a 100% import from Japan, it is sold in Thailand for 350,000 THB (8,535 Euro) the same make and model cost in Europe around 9,000 Euro what is about the same price and even a bit cheaper. The Suzuki V-Strom DL650 is imported by Suzuki Thailand as a Complete Knock Down. A knock-down kit is a kit containing the parts needed to assemble a product. The Suzuki DL650 is manufactured in Japan and exported to Thailand for final assembly.

As we can assume that Yamaha Thailand and Yamaha Asia (which also has its office in Thailand) has similar licenses as Suzuki Thailand. We can expect that a Yamaha MT-09 would be not that much more expensive as the same model sold in Europe.

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: kikou57 ()  Saturday, 12 October 2013 @ 06:25 PM ICT  

But Suzuki manage to sell cheaper than in Europe its Vstorm model when Ducati cannot do the same on some of its model (monster) but can on some other (hypermotard) ?

Why Triumph that have production line here too not bring its street triple and speed triple and reassemble them on their production line and sold them at the same price we know in Europe ?

Some motorbikes have same price than in Europe but some are double. It doesn't make sense to me.

All bikes should be same price or double but no double standard as we got use for everything in Thailand...

All of this is so confusing.

By: Anonymous: Kikou57 ()  Saturday, 12 October 2013 @ 07:04 PM ICT  

You are right that import duties must be low for official import entities as manufacturers. Suzuki been a good example.
But checking yamaha big bikes price tag here in Thailand its still 30 to 40 % more expensive than european prices. Which makes me thing that if they import theMT09 one day here it wont be the good deal it is actually in Europe.

Anyway due to all this confusions regarding prices i made the choice to buy a kawasaki Z800 which wont be my choice back in Europe but here its the cheaper mid range bike we can find in the roadster segment.

Thanks again to share your knowledge on local market and thai business industry.

Hope one day everything will be more clear and all prices will be fair for the thai local riders.

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 12 October 2013 @ 08:28 PM ICT  

Hello Kikou57,

You will not be the first expat motorcyclist in Thailand who rides a motorcycle which he probably would never have bought back in his home country.

The Kawasaki Z800 is a great value for what you get, it has the right power, it's the right size for Thai traffic and it looks good... I'm sure you would be very happy with it.

Also waiting for the Yamaha MT-09 to come maybe to Thailand, and maybe is not that much fun....

news

Group Comfort
Level:

10 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association