Login
Welcome to Motorcycle Thailand
Friday, August 22 2014 @ 09:02 AM ICT
 Forum Index >  Motorcycle Accessories >  Motorcycle Tires New Topic Post Reply
 Question about the difference in tire wear
   |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Jason ()  Tuesday, July 20 2010 @ 12:07 PM ICT (Read 1301 times)  
Anonymous: Jason

I ride a Yamaha FRJ1300, a friend of mine a Yamaha FZ1 and we have another friend who, of the life of us we don't know why, rides a BMW R1150GS. We tend to ride together a lot and most of the time we go on a bike tours together. We ride at the same speed as each other most of the time and from what we can gather we get the same kind of use out of our bikes.

Now the thing is, despite the comparative workloads, I'm getting about 6500 kilometers maximum from my tires, my friend on the Yamaha FZ1 about the same, while the BMW GS-man, who uses these chunky dirt-style tires, has gone at least 12,000 kilometers on his tires. Twice what what we get!

Can you tell us why that is? And us there a tire that us Yamaha riders can opt for what will give us the usages as the BMW GS-man is getting while not totally compromising everyday grip.

Thanks

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Tuesday, July 20 2010 @ 01:11 PM ICT  
ThaiDesign

From what you write the two Yamaha's are fitted with sports tires while the BMW is most likely to be on a dual-sport tire. Although you ride together and maintain the same kind of speeds, the two tires will be functioning quite differently.

Under road touring conditions, it is unlikely that the sports tires will use more than 50 to 75 percent of their performance potential, while the Dual-sport tire will be using rather more. In other words, the BMW is running a tire which is more suited to the job whereas the two Yamaha's are wasting some of their tires' potential.

A sports tire has gripper compound and a more aggressive profile, which means it will wear more quickly than a tire with more of a sportstouring orientation, especially in the center. I would recommend you look at sportstouring tires for the Yamaha FJR and the FZ1. These should be more than adequate for your needs.

The will return significantly higher kilometer count before need to replaced and it is unlikely that you'll find the limits of their performance on normal roads in Thailand.

Forum Active Member

Group Comfort
Level:
: +26

Profile Email    
New Topic Post Reply

All times are ICT. The time is now 09:02 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic w/ New Post Sticky Topic w/ New Post
Locked Topic w/ New Post Locked Topic w/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Advertising

Poll

How many times have you crashed your motorcycle in the last three years?

•  Never
  •  Once
  •  Twice
  •  Three times
  •  Four times
  •  Five times
  •  More than 6 times
  •  More than 10 times
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 3,442 votes | 13 comments

TMEA MEMBER