By: Anonymous: Jules ()  Wednesday, 16 February 2011 @ 09:39 AM ICT (Read 3255 times)  

The tire debate frequently pops its head up on another forum I'm on, with a few guys stating that under no circumstances should you mix tire brands. When I question what export told them this, and where's the reason behind that statement, I'm met with: “I don't know”. Can someone give me an explanation why I should stop mixing tires? Although, after 45 years I ´ need some convincing.

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 16 February 2011 @ 11:42 AM ICT  

Mixing motorcycle tires is a yes-and-no answer, but mostly a yes. As long as you lean to the side of safety, you shouldn't get into trouble. That is, stay within the recommended tire sizes, opt for the same or a softer compound for the front, watch the tire pressures and don't hook into a straight away. Get a feel first for the combo you choose. Most problems occur when one tire is half worn and a new one is added to the mix There is nothing quite like two new tires.

The thing about mixing up and trying different tires is that it is expensive. If you make a mistake, it takes a long time to wear it out. The only other option is take a hit in the wallet and buy something else.Big Grin

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: MotardBen ()  Thursday, 17 February 2011 @ 11:38 PM ICT  

I have mixed tires for years, but I specialize in the 100 x 18 and 120 x 18 sizes and have settled on the trusty ME3 on the front wheel and only mix on the back. On the race bikes, we use whatever everyone else is using because we are just not that competitive. At work, we use whatever the customer wants and whatever the spares guys are selling, and we never end up with much of a problem at all because we have a good pressure gauge.

By: monoguy (offline)  Saturday, 19 February 2011 @ 02:46 AM ICT  

Quote by: MotardBen

I have mixed tires for years, but I specialize in the 100 x 18 and 120 x 18 sizes and have settled on the trusty ME3 on the front wheel and only mix on the back. On the race bikes, we use whatever everyone else is using because we are just not that competitive. At work, we use whatever the customer wants and whatever the spares guys are selling, and we never end up with much of a problem at all because we have a good pressure gauge.

Hi MotardBen,

can u recommend the Pressure Gauge that u know? cause i had problem getting a good one....

thanks alot

Jeffrey

monoguy

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Anonymous: MotardBen ()  Saturday, 19 February 2011 @ 11:21 AM ICT  

Quote by: monoguy

Quote by: MotardBen

Hi MotardBen,

can u recommend the Pressure Gauge that u know? cause i had problem getting a good one....

thanks alot

I have a small battery powered pressure gauge which I bought at one of the big supermarkets, cannot clearly remember if it was BigC, Carrefour or Lotus.

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association