Login
Welcome to Motorcycle Thailand
Tuesday, August 19 2014 @ 12:13 PM ICT
 Forum Index >  Motorcycle Accessories >  Motorcycle Tires New Topic Post Reply
 Mixing tires on motorcycles
   |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Jules ()  Wednesday, February 16 2011 @ 09:39 AM ICT (Read 2116 times)  
Anonymous: Jules

The tire debate frequently pops its head up on another forum I'm on, with a few guys stating that under no circumstances should you mix tire brands. When I question what export told them this, and where's the reason behind that statement, I'm met with: “I don't know”. Can someone give me an explanation why I should stop mixing tires? Although, after 45 years I ´ need some convincing.

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, February 16 2011 @ 11:42 AM ICT  
ThaiDesign

Mixing motorcycle tires is a yes-and-no answer, but mostly a yes. As long as you lean to the side of safety, you shouldn't get into trouble. That is, stay within the recommended tire sizes, opt for the same or a softer compound for the front, watch the tire pressures and don't hook into a straight away. Get a feel first for the combo you choose. Most problems occur when one tire is half worn and a new one is added to the mix There is nothing quite like two new tires.

The thing about mixing up and trying different tires is that it is expensive. If you make a mistake, it takes a long time to wear it out. The only other option is take a hit in the wallet and buy something else.Big Grin

Forum Active Member

Group Comfort
Level:
: +26

Profile Email    
By: Anonymous: MotardBen ()  Thursday, February 17 2011 @ 11:38 PM ICT  
Anonymous: MotardBen

I have mixed tires for years, but I specialize in the 100 x 18 and 120 x 18 sizes and have settled on the trusty ME3 on the front wheel and only mix on the back. On the race bikes, we use whatever everyone else is using because we are just not that competitive. At work, we use whatever the customer wants and whatever the spares guys are selling, and we never end up with much of a problem at all because we have a good pressure gauge.

By: monoguy (offline)  Saturday, February 19 2011 @ 02:46 AM ICT  
monoguy

Quote by: MotardBen

I have mixed tires for years, but I specialize in the 100 x 18 and 120 x 18 sizes and have settled on the trusty ME3 on the front wheel and only mix on the back. On the race bikes, we use whatever everyone else is using because we are just not that competitive. At work, we use whatever the customer wants and whatever the spares guys are selling, and we never end up with much of a problem at all because we have a good pressure gauge.

Hi MotardBen,

can u recommend the Pressure Gauge that u know? cause i had problem getting a good one....

thanks alot

Jeffrey

Forum Junior
Junior

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

Profile Email    
By: Anonymous: MotardBen ()  Saturday, February 19 2011 @ 11:21 AM ICT  
Anonymous: MotardBen

Quote by: monoguy

Quote by: MotardBen

Hi MotardBen,

can u recommend the Pressure Gauge that u know? cause i had problem getting a good one....

thanks alot

I have a small battery powered pressure gauge which I bought at one of the big supermarkets, cannot clearly remember if it was BigC, Carrefour or Lotus.

New Topic Post Reply

All times are ICT. The time is now 12:13 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic w/ New Post Sticky Topic w/ New Post
Locked Topic w/ New Post Locked Topic w/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Advertising

Poll

How many times have you crashed your motorcycle in the last three years?

•  Never
  •  Once
  •  Twice
  •  Three times
  •  Four times
  •  Five times
  •  More than 6 times
  •  More than 10 times
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 3,385 votes | 13 comments

TMEA MEMBER