16 posts :: Page 2 of 2
By: davidstipek (offline)  Monday, 01 February 2016 @ 05:23 PM ICT  

Quote by: ChangNoi

Here an update of getting a legal Green Book for my motorbike. About a year ago I bought a Yamaha XT250x for a reasonable price knowing that this price did not include a Green Book. Of course I also knew that this was a “spare-part imported motorbike”. But if came with full import-papers and import-duties were paid and the shop-owner promised me to arrange a legal Green Book for me for a price of about 35k (which later changed to 50-60k). Well after a half year he still not had even tested the bike, and as I did not pay him anything it was easy to forget him. Reminder to myself : Never do business with him again!

Via internet I did meet Mark who represented himself as “Big Bike Cycles” but in reality was working together with a motorbike shop in Lam Lukha in Bangkok named “On Road Bike”. A shop where I had been before and altogether it looks to me like a trustful straight forward business. They are selling mainly chopper bikes. They offered me to take care of obtaining a legal Green Book for my motorbike for 75k excluding the to be paid excise tax.

Mid November 2009 I decided to business with them and they promised me that all together it would take about 3 months before I would receive my Green Book.

With a legal Green Book I mean a real Green Book (not a copy or a recycled one) where is mentioned at page 18 that the excise tax has been paid and that the bike has been tested and approved.

There would be 5 steps within about 3 months
1 Doing the emission test that would costs about 28k
2 Apply for setting the value of the motorbike
3 Paying the excise tax (3% of the value of the motorbike)
4 Apply for the Green Book (which actually costs about 1500,- thb?)
5 After 1 month : Receiving the number/license-plate
6 Two (2) weeks later : Receiving the Green Book

Although steps 1 to 4 seems to be processed (although on a bit different time-frame) step 5 & 6 are still in the pipe-line. It took a bit longer but the bike was finally tested end of December 2009 and begin January 2010 I received proof of the fact that the bike has been tested and approved.

In the meanwhile Mark left Thailand and at end of March I did receive proof of setting the value of my motorbike at 215.000,- thb over what I have to pay 3% tax (plus VAT over the tax and duty stamp). One (1) week later I did receive proof of paying the excise tax of 7.124,- thb.

Now all the papers are ready to apply for the Green Book and within 5 weeks I would receive my new license-plate and 2 weeks after that I would receive my Green Book.

Well at 8 may 2010 the date for receiving my new license-plate has been delayed due to “slow working of the government” and is now set for “before 20 May 2010”.

As it was scheduled that I would receive about 20 May 2010 my license-plate a mini-civil-war in BKK & upcountry made that all DLT office's were closed so no license-plate yet at the moment.

So today I was just wondering what was happening as I received a call that my "Certificate of Address" was expired (yeah it's about 6 months old now) so they needed a new one. Well that indicated that at least something might be happening. I did send them a copy of my Yellow-House-Book which should be OK (but I heard that some DLT's are not accepting a house-book for foreigners). Was told that I would hear Monday 31 May 2010 when I will receive my License-plate & Green-Book. Keep you updated next week again.

Nevertheless how this story end I think I will not go this route again for getting a motorbike with a legal Green Book. Nowadays there other options, although I think that BMW or KTM are too expensive in Thailand and big bike Kawasaki’s are not really very well build. And I am not into racing bikes like Yamaha or Suzuki. It is too bad that due to a tax system (of which some Thai family clan’s benefit mostly) people living in Thailand have a very poor choice of cars & motorbikes. And that Thai clan’s benefit so much that they can effort themselves easily to privately import whatever they like to ride.

Chang Noi

Chang Noi...
Can you help me get green book in my name. I bought Motorcycle from Police Auction via motorcycle shop here in Chiang Mai. It has original green book. Previous Owner was killed in accident and bike sat at police in-pound yard for many years. No one wanted to buy because needed to be rebuilt. I have original Headpost with serial #, and original Motor. I bought because low miles and had electric start. I completely rebuilt bike added front and rear disc brakes and HD rear forks front and rear, Wider tires front (3.00x1Cool and rear (120x60x17) I have Bill of sale from Motorcycle shop showing my Name, Address and serial numbers both frame and motor.

I need to address this to keep from getting large fines for riding or having them take Motorcycle. Last registration was in 2543 and then it sit in Police yard. I buy in 2558 (2015). It turned out to be an excellent Motorcycle topspeed 100-110 (not bad for an RC110 - 110cc engine)
David
***You can PM me, I will give you my email. I am in Chiang Mai (Nong Hoi)

David

davidstipek

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

16 posts :: Page 2 of 2