Login
Welcome to Motorcycle Thailand
Thursday, August 21 2014 @ 02:43 AM ICT
 Forum Index >  General Discussion >  Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance New Topic Post Reply
 My Ducati's Battery Blowup?
   |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Hall ()  Wednesday, June 23 2010 @ 10:04 AM ICT (Read 1526 times)  
Anonymous: Hall

The battery on my Ducati 916 blew up. I was riding and I noticed an acid smell when I was waiting at a traffic light. I stopped and took the side panel off and the battery had cracked near one of the filler holes and was throwing out acid. It was a complete mess. I got the motorcycle home and replaced the battery. The rectifier has cone wrong which must be what caused it so I replaced that too.

Is there anyway I can prevent this happening again? It could have damaged my motorcycle completely, lucky for the Ducati's quick-remove fairings, the damage was limited.

By: Anonymous: Wallace ()  Thursday, June 24 2010 @ 11:10 AM ICT  
Anonymous: Wallace

I've heard of this happening a couple of times so it's not a freak occurrence. Both times the cause was blockages in the fuel pump. This meant it was hard to turn and drew more current, putting a strain on the electrics which resulted into the battery problem. Check that – it may well need some cleaning.

By: Warp Racer (offline)  Saturday, June 26 2010 @ 06:37 PM ICT  
Warp Racer

Quote by: Hall

The battery on my Ducati 916 blew up. I was riding and I noticed an acid smell when I was waiting at a traffic light. I stopped and took the side panel off and the battery had cracked near one of the filler holes and was throwing out acid. It was a complete mess. I got the motorcycle home and replaced the battery. The rectifier has cone wrong which must be what caused it so I replaced that too.

Is there anyway I can prevent this happening again? It could have damaged my motorcycle completely, lucky for the Ducati's quick-remove fairings, the damage was limited.

Thank Ducati for fast removable fairings. and you got to it time to avoid a major mess of acid on fairings and metal. Good to see you did the obvious check and changes plus Wallace has a good point about current draw and a blocked pump. My question is what battery did you have in it and what do you have now?

If you haven't done this, I personally would go for a gel cell, maintenance free type of battery eg: Yuasa YTZ-12S or YTZ-14S. I am a huge fan of these batteries and can't say enough about how robust they are.

Yuasa YTZ-12S http://store.yuasabatteries.com/product ... 1717.0.1.1
Yuasa YTZ-14S http://store.yuasabatteries.com/product ... 4514.54515

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN
OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM

Forum Newbie

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

Profile Email Website  
New Topic Post Reply

All times are ICT. The time is now 02:43 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic w/ New Post Sticky Topic w/ New Post
Locked Topic w/ New Post Locked Topic w/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Advertising

Poll

How many times have you crashed your motorcycle in the last three years?

•  Never
  •  Once
  •  Twice
  •  Three times
  •  Four times
  •  Five times
  •  More than 6 times
  •  More than 10 times
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 3,422 votes | 13 comments

TMEA MEMBER