Login
Welcome to Motorcycle Thailand
Wednesday, August 20 2014 @ 08:42 AM ICT
 Forum Index >  General Discussion >  Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance New Topic Post Reply
 Honda VFR 750 power troubles
   |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Willy ()  Sunday, January 27 2008 @ 04:29 PM ICT (Read 2344 times)  
Anonymous: Willy

I have a problem on my Honda VFR 750. The bike is of 1996 vintage and has done 45,000 kilometers. I keep it plugged into an Optimate when not in use as I don get out on it much as I would like to. The problem started when I came back from Koh Chang last year, stopped when getting off the ferry and the engine cut out and wouldn't start on the starter.

However a bump start got her going and I didn't have any more trouble going home, even though I stopped a couple of times for petrol etc.

Out a couple of weeks ago and I noticed the speedo started flicking back and forwards then stopped working all together, When I stopped to investigate the bike cut out again and wouldn't start on the starter, no a click or a whirr, although the idiot lights dimmed when the starter was operated.

Once the bike was bumped again is started OK and when I tried to start it at home when I got back everything appeared to be operating normally and has since. Any ideas what it could be?

By: news (offline)  Monday, January 28 2008 @ 05:54 PM ICT  
news

Providing the battery and starter connections are secure this does sound like a failing battery. You can easily test the resistance of the heavy duty wiring between the battery and the starter motor with a multimeter or even simpler just feel to if any of the wires or connections are getting hot when in use.

If all is OK with the wiring on the bike then a competent mechanic will have a drop tester to really put the battery though its paces.

Forum Active Member

Group Comfort
Level:
: +32

Profile Email Website  
New Topic Post Reply

All times are ICT. The time is now 08:42 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic w/ New Post Sticky Topic w/ New Post
Locked Topic w/ New Post Locked Topic w/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Advertising

Poll

How many times have you crashed your motorcycle in the last three years?

•  Never
  •  Once
  •  Twice
  •  Three times
  •  Four times
  •  Five times
  •  More than 6 times
  •  More than 10 times
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 3,403 votes | 13 comments

TMEA MEMBER