By: Anonymous: Paul ()  Tuesday, 02 August 2016 @ 01:21 PM ICT (Read 373 times)  

I have a 2016 Honda PCX150 that calls for 10W-30 motorcycle oil, which I am having a hard time finding. My local shop sold me 10W-40 motorcycle oil – will that work? Since this is a dry clutch, will full synthetic for cars work? I think I should sat with 10W-30, but even online search has way too many different options.

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 03 August 2016 @ 12:42 AM ICT  

Hello Paul,

First thing is that we would never recommend car oil for any motorcycle or scooter... and it is not only about the friction modifiers that are or aren’t an ingredient.

If you have a Honda PCX150 in Thailand I doubt that the owners manual says 10W-30, very likely you somehow downloaded the North American version of the Honda PCX150 and they indeed specify 10W-30, while in Thailand any decent motorcycle/scooter specific 10W-40 engine oil will work perfectly in the temperatures you may encounter.

About car and motorcycle/scooter engine oils, we always advice motorcycle/scooter specific engine oils, not only are they designed for wet clutches but also with better shear properties for engines that share the oil with transmission gears. Just imagine a 2000cc car having the same size bearings as 150 to 250cc engine… in engine and oil design and properties that is a world of difference….

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association