By: Anonymous: BobT ()  Monday, 08 July 2013 @ 08:52 AM ICT (Read 3508 times)  

Hello

I am and American and live in Thailand for the last 4-year and own a Honda CBR150R, it's sad to say that I have to go back home to New Jersey.

I will miss my CBR150R when I go home and was wondering if its possible to take it back to the US and get it legally registered. Anybody knows anything about this?

Rgrd,

Bob

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Monday, 08 July 2013 @ 01:10 PM ICT  

Bob,

Firstly It would probably need to be EPA certified. Then there are things like turn signals which on some bikes are different in the USA, don't know why but they are .For instance does the Thai/EU CBR250 have the same turn signals. Speedo would have to show MPH.

If you have lots of time, don't care what you spend and want to give it a go, why not. At least do some surfing and find out what the exact requirements are.
Much less hassle to sell it here and buy a CBR250 when back the US . OR take it back, wait until it is 20-25 years old whatever the law is there, and then register it as a classic?

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: news (offline)  Monday, 08 July 2013 @ 02:37 PM ICT  

The first thing I want to explain is that taking your Honda CBR150R to the USA would probably cost you more than a good secondhand 250cc available in the USA.

For registration of your CBR150R you not have to worry, motorcycles from Honda Thailand can be registered in New Jersey state (see attached document).

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Monday, 08 July 2013 @ 03:33 PM ICT  

..and therein lies the rub?

Technically there is nothing wrong with Hondas made here. But bureaucracy is bureaucracy.

"All motorcycles must have permanently affixed NHTSA and EPA (2) labels before New Jersey can issue a title and registration"

If the bike as is in Thailand does not have the correct stickers then it will have to go to the nearest NHTSA for inspection. Same goes for EPA.

The basic bike will be OK as far as Honda guaranteeing frame structural stability but the CBR150 may not be on Hondas list of type approved motorcycles. So it could get time consuming and....

I investigated this a few years ago to import a Cagiva into Canada having previously owned a Cagiva there. Similar hoop jumping would have been required, although the speedo was already in kph.

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:

By: news (offline)  Monday, 08 July 2013 @ 04:28 PM ICT  

Quote by: Flying Squirrel

..and therein lies the rub?

Technically there is nothing wrong with Hondas made here. But bureaucracy is bureaucracy.

"All motorcycles must have permanently affixed NHTSA and EPA (2) labels before New Jersey can issue a title and registration"

If the bike as is in Thailand does not have the correct stickers then it will have to go to the nearest NHTSA for inspection. Same goes for EPA.

The basic bike will be OK as far as Honda guaranteeing frame structural stability but the CBR150 may not be on Hondas list of type approved motorcycles. So it could get time consuming and....

I investigated this a few years ago to import a Cagiva into Canada having previously owned a Cagiva there. Similar hoop jumping would have been required, although the speedo was already in kph.

Of course you 100% correct that “All motorcycles must have permanently affixed NHTSA and EPA (2) labels before New Jersey can issue a title and registration”

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Monday, 08 July 2013 @ 08:35 PM ICT  

Just that I tried to do it before and also have read about guys with PCX, I think, or it maybe Vespa who complain about silly unstylish turn signals in the US.

If the bike is paid for an there is a container already planned to go to the USA , I might be inclined to bung it in and have a go. One never know is at 150 it maybe below some magic guideline?

It could always be mounted on a rec. room wall?

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Sunday, 14 July 2013 @ 07:22 AM ICT  

Some people have taken then back to the states and it is not that hard

My friend had a sticker made that went over the speedo to say in MPH cost under $1

He was shipping things over anyways so at the port, had to turn in the plate as well as book so it would be removed from the system here
Got some paper at the port.

When it arrived at the Hilo port in Hawaii, a quick inspection, got a paper, took it to DMV got a new title and plate, rides it all over Hawaii now

No kick backs, no greased palms, no tea money

quick simple easy

They also sell the 125 version in Canada

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association