By: Richard (offline)  Thursday, 19 February 2009 @ 11:56 AM ICT (Read 23827 times)  

For some very amazing reasons I'm the owner of a Honda Sonic 125, basically we sold it a year ago and never received payment. And because it was somewhat in our benefit that the person had the motorcycle, we tolerated it. But now the bike is back, mainly because it makes ticking sounds from the cylinder head and seems not performing that well. We expect that there is something wrong with a valve. The ticking sound has a really metallic undertone.

This morning I had the "intelligent" idea to visit the Honda dealer and wanted to swap the bike for a new one. But was serious not impressed by what Honda was offering; the now 3-year-old Sonic 125 had a return value of 7,000 Baht… if I bought a new Sonic or Wave.

So, I now start thinking what the cost would be to repair the Sonic. And maybe if somebody has experience with metallic ticking sounds coming from a Honda Sonic 125 cylinder head I would like to know how much they paid for repairs.

Second, if there is somebody who has recently or is thinking of up-grading his Honda CBR-150R with a bore-up kit, I would be interested in the 150cc set.

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: offer fox ache ()  Sunday, 22 February 2009 @ 09:18 PM ICT  

take the money - it's a good deal for a trade-in. After all the dealer will be stuck with your junk.

By: Richard (offline)  Monday, 23 February 2009 @ 03:32 PM ICT  

I'm pretty sure that taking the 7,000 Baht dealer refund is not a good idea, the repairs to the Honda Sonic are about 4,000 to 6,000 Baht and selling a secondhand Honda Sonic 125 it is good for somewhere over 23,000 Baht.

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: julius ()  Tuesday, 31 March 2009 @ 02:18 PM ICT  

im from the philippines, i bought two honda sonic 125 and experience the same as you. i just replaced the tensioner of timing chain and the tickling sound was removed. Your pretty lucky because all of parts are available in your country unlike us that we will order and import it from your country.

By: Anonymous: VIETNAM-MEMBER ()  Thursday, 14 May 2009 @ 10:12 AM ICT  

Hi every body,
i'm riding sonic 2001 which i bought secondhand with 1100 $ in Apr 2009. It is too much to compare right? in Vietnam, Sonic is not popular as your country.
But i love it, now i need to buy some thing to renew it.
Could you please let me know where can i buy in Bangkok,
I'm wonder if there is a online shop sell sonic parts.

Best Regards,
Phat
My Y!M: vuongphat_tvcc@yahoo.com
Click on image to open

By: Anonymous: emman ()  Saturday, 31 October 2009 @ 02:29 PM ICT  

i'm experiencing the same thing with my sonic 2003... i wonder if there is a good mechanic to tend my bike here in cambodia..thanks...
email me nyok15@yahoo.com

Click on image to open
Click on image to open
Click on image to open

By: Anonymous: Rey Jay ()  Wednesday, 16 March 2011 @ 09:38 PM ICT  

Quote by: Richard

For some very amazing reasons I'm the owner of a Honda Sonic 125, basically we sold it a year ago and never received payment. And because it was somewhat in our benefit that the person had the motorcycle, we tolerated it. But now the bike is back, mainly because it makes ticking sounds from the cylinder head and seems not performing that well. We expect that there is something wrong with a valve. The ticking sound has a really metallic undertone.

This morning I had the "intelligent" idea to visit the Honda dealer and wanted to swap the bike for a new one. But was serious not impressed by what Honda was offering; the now 3-year-old Sonic 125 had a return value of 7,000 Baht… if I bought a new Sonic or Wave.

So, I now start thinking what the cost would be to repair the Sonic. And maybe if somebody has experience with metallic ticking sounds coming from a Honda Sonic 125 cylinder head I would like to know how much they paid for repairs.

Second, if there is somebody who has recently or is thinking of up-grading his Honda CBR-150R with a bore-up kit, I would be interested in the 150cc set.

I had the same problem and I went to the shop near my apartment. They replaced something from the engine but I don't know what they were I can take a photo and send to your email if you want. I spent almost 1 thousand baht but the mechanic said that they replace it with an imitation that will last for about a year. But if you want the real one you have to spend 2,500 bath or less. The cause of the problem was not enough engine oil.

By: Anonymous: yeah ()  Sunday, 13 November 2011 @ 12:09 PM ICT  

just make check, i think thats only a racker arm, just do tune up first, other option if it keep ticking, replace your cams, like racing cams, racing cams normally ticking,

By: Anonymous: Blakegeee ()  Sunday, 13 November 2011 @ 09:49 PM ICT  

Could very likely be timing chain tensioner as somebody else mentioned. When its not working right, the chain slaps around in there randomly creating these sounds. Just visit a few shops and see what they "think" it is. Do you know a particularly good mechanic? If good, they can "very likely" determine what it is without opening it up. "Fah" just off the super highway down the soi after the Big C tunnel and driving school is good (in CM). He works out of his house which is the last one before the turn at the end. 2 big dogs will come greet you at the gate and you'll see his carport full of bikes.

9 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association