By: Anonymous: BikeBKK ()  Thursday, 22 September 2011 @ 07:58 AM ICT (Read 2189 times)  

I hear a lot of people talking about getting their motorcycles' frames and other parts powdercoated. I know that powdercoating has industrial benefits (fewer emissions, greater operational efficiencies, etc..) over paint, but for the regular motorcycle owner, what are the advantages? In terms of color, durability, fade resistance, repairability – things important to me – is powdercoating really any better than a good paint job? If so, what are the keys to getting good quality powdercoating?

By: Anonymous: CustomPaint ()  Thursday, 22 September 2011 @ 08:40 AM ICT  

Powder coated surfaces are more resistant to chipping, scratching, fading, and wearing than other finishes, and the color selection is virtually unlimited with flat, satin, gloss, high gloss, metallic, candies, clear, iridescent, fluorescent, wrinkle, hammer tone, and glitter finishes available.

By: news (offline)  Thursday, 22 September 2011 @ 11:14 AM ICT  

Powdercoating originally gained popularity among motorcycle builders as a frame coloring because of its exceptional toughness and durability. It has a much higher resistance to cracking and chipping than regular paint, making it ideal for that application. The front downtubes of motorcycle frames are constantly pelted with stones, grit and other road grime kicked up by the front tire, and the bottom tubes are subject to even more damage because they live so close to the ground.

Powdercoating also is generally applied in thicker coats than paint, which can help hide small imperfections in the base metal. And as far as fade resistance is concerned, any differences between paint and powdercoat are more dependent on the type and quality of the materials used than on the two processes themselves.

But there are disadvantages, and one is color. There are far fewer color choices available in powdercoat than there are with spray paint. And metallic color formulations sometimes create problems with the electrostatic process used to apply the powder.

Another is gloss: It's much harder – and often impossible – to obtain the same kind of show-bike shine with powdercoating than it is with spray-paint. Due to the rather large particle size of powdercoat materials, the smoothest surface finish is achieved with a thick coat – which might not be suitable for all components, particularly those that have to fit together snugly or flex ever so slightly. Thinner applications of powdercoat, however, tend to have an orange-peel finish. So to get the smoothest result, the person applying the powdercoat much pay close attention and monitor the process carefully; even then, the outcome usually cannot equal spray painting for sheer gloss.

There's also a heat factor. Once the powder is electrostatically applied, the part has to be baled in an oven at a temperature in the neighborhood of 205 degrees Celsius, and some components can't endure that kind of heat. What's more, touch-up is, at best, more difficult than with paint and impossible at worst. Often, the only course of action is to completely strip the paint-damaged part and powdercoat it all over again.

If there are any 'keys' to obtaining top-quality powdercoat work, they are simply to have it done by an outfit with a proven tract record. If a powdercoater specializes in industrial work where smoothness and shine are not top priorities, you probably won't get the glossy result you're after. But if the shop routinely does work for custom motorcycle and car builders and restorers, your chances of getting an attractive finish are very good.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Matty (offline)  Thursday, 22 September 2011 @ 11:21 AM ICT  

Powdercoating is definately the way to go, it gives a far more even and consistent coverage than spray painting and is alot more hard wearing.
Like all types of coatings, PREPERATION is the key to a good finish. Removing all old paint and any oil and grease is very important. The best way I have found is to strip the frame ( or whatever it is you want coated ) check it over for cracks etc. repair and or weld any cracks. Then have it sand blasted before getting it powdercoated. you will then be sure of a top quality job.
I am currently restoring a 1982 Husqvarna WR250 Enduro bike, I stripped it down and had the frame, footpegs, lower fork legs, front and rear wheel hubs ( before re lacing new excell rims and spokes) , brake parts, gear and brake levers all powder coated and I have now re-assembled the bike apart from the engine/gearbox which i will get fully re-built before installing.
The ( motorless) bike looks fantastic and when i get home in a couple of weeks i will post some pictures for all to see.
cheers
Matt..

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association