21 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: andyc (offline)  Tuesday, 13 September 2011 @ 07:32 AM ICT (Read 11895 times)  

Now i have tried every fuel e20 91 green 95 the lot,When on a long straight road i open the throttle when traveling at a speed it keeps pulling.As the bike is fairly new got 4000 service due,i know it must be the fuel ,the bike has been doing for a while so ,it cannot be water in the fuel flushed the system out already,any ideas thanks andy

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Big Guy (offline)  Tuesday, 13 September 2011 @ 09:08 AM ICT  

If by "pulling" you mean that there is some surging: when you have one throttle position the revs or power of the engine varies enough that you notice it.

I have that issue now with my PCX and it's getting worse. The bike is 18 months old, purchased in March of 2010 and is coming up on 13,000km. I'll be taking it in for service next week and I'll let you know what they find.

I've read about two issues that can lead to surging with the PCX and can't remember if I read them at Motorcycle Thailand or somewhere else. The first issue that can cause surging is a worn drive belt, but at 4,000km that doesn't sound like your bike would be ready for that unless there was something grossly wrong when it came out of the factory.

My troubles started at about 9,000km with (I think) a bad tank of gasoline. I've run pretty well everything in the bike but lately have been filling up with pure 91 (no alcohol). That didn't help and neither did 95.

I'm thinking that I have dirt in the fuel or injection system somewhere. I read somewhere that the PCX has smaller holes in the injectors than some other bikes and while this makes for excellent mileage the downside is they can get clogged. I can't remember where I read that or if it is true, so take it with some salt for now.

I'm going to have the dealership check the belt and clean the fuel system. Other than that, I'm out of ideas on the surging.

See you here in about ten days with what I've learned.

QUESTION RE BRAKES: I haven't changed the brake pads or rear shoes yet. Can anyone advise how many kms those items usually last?

Thanks

Big Guy

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Wednesday, 14 September 2011 @ 08:40 AM ICT  

QUESTION RE BRAKES: I haven't changed the brake pads or rear shoes yet. Can anyone advise how many kms those items usually last?

Thanks[/p]

MY 1 year old PCX with 22,000 km that i ride hard and brake even harder shows little or no wear to the brake pads.

I went through my first rear tire ar 20,000 km (8000 Bt for new) and would guess I have 3000 more km on the front tire

By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Wednesday, 14 September 2011 @ 08:43 AM ICT  

Quote by: Jeffrey

Thanks

MY 1 year old PCX with 22,000 km that i ride hard and brake even harder shows little or no wear to the brake pads.

I went through my first rear tire ar 20,000 km (8000 Bt for new) and would guess I have 3000 more km on the front tire
[/p][/QUOTE]

OOPS only 800 Baht how did that extra "0" get in there

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 14 September 2011 @ 10:06 AM ICT  

It's indeed true that Honda is using special, more and smaller holes, for the PGM-FI (fuel-injection) system. The holes in the injector are a few microns smaller than the average regular fuel-injection system, the biggest advantage is the production of smaller fuel droplets in the combustion chamber of air/fuel mixture. The much finer/smaller droplets ignite and burn much more efficient than bigger fuel-droplets.

The advantage of better combustion is of course better fuel efficiency and more performance.

The downside to smaller holes in the injection-needles is that dirt particles can block fuel flow more easily.... (Thailand, especially some of the no-name petrol stations up-country are not taking the filtering of the fuel very serious.)

I strongly recommend that people using a Honda motorcycle or scooter with PGM-FI install a good fuel filter. It will seriously help your motorcycle.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: Andrew Hargreaves ()  Wednesday, 14 September 2011 @ 11:36 AM ICT  

I have 15000ks on my PCX and have power surge around 40kph. The injector has been cleaned and found to have very fine sand in it but now still surging intermitently. Can anyone advice on a fuel filter as I think I still have dirt in the tank?
The rear tyre is now on the cobbles but the brakes are still good.

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 14 September 2011 @ 01:53 PM ICT  

You need to be a bit careful with filters in the fuel-line of your fuel-injection scooter, Because the fuel-line of a fuel-injection scooter or motorcycle is under pressure you should also ONLY used fuel-filters that work with the pressure requirement (41 to 44 PSI).

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Big Guy (offline)  Tuesday, 15 November 2011 @ 03:23 PM ICT  

Reporting on my surging problem as promised: late but I'm here!

I took the bike in last week and they replaced the drive belt. That took care of part of the surging, but I still have something happening in the background at a lower level. I'll be taking it back in next week.

To recap: I had moderate surging at 30 to 40kms/h. A drive belt change reduced the surging but didn't cure it. It is at a lower level now, so it looks like there were two issues causing the problem.

I let you know what happens after next week.

Big Guy

Group Comfort
Level:

By: andyc (offline)  Monday, 21 November 2011 @ 07:13 PM ICT  

Quote by: ThaiDesign

It's indeed true that Honda is using special, more and smaller holes, for the PGM-FI (fuel-injection) system. The holes in the injector are a few microns smaller than the average regular fuel-injection system, the biggest advantage is the production of smaller fuel droplets in the combustion chamber of air/fuel mixture. The much finer/smaller droplets ignite and burn much more efficient than bigger fuel-droplets.

The advantage of better combustion is of course better fuel efficiency and more performance.

The downside to smaller holes in the injection-needles is that dirt particles can block fuel flow more easily.... (Thailand, especially some of the no-name petrol stations up-country are not taking the filtering of the fuel very serious.)

I strongly recommend that people using a Honda motorcycle or scooter with PGM-FI install a good fuel filter. It will seriously help your motorcycle.

are the Honda fuel filters not as good as you can get else where,just would like to know

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:

By: andyc (offline)  Monday, 21 November 2011 @ 07:16 PM ICT  

Quote by: Big Guy

I took the bike in last week and they replaced the drive belt. That took care of part of the surging, but I still have something happening in the background at a lower level. I'll be taking it back in next week.

To recap: I had moderate surging at 30 to 40kms/h. A drive belt change reduced the surging but didn't cure it. It is at a lower level now, so it looks like there were two issues causing the problem.

thanks please let me know,mine happens over 100kph ,it must be the injectors like thai design said with mine

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Big Guy (offline)  Monday, 28 November 2011 @ 03:07 PM ICT  

Quote by: andyc

thanks please let me know,mine happens over 100kph ,it must be the injectors like thai design said with mine

Hello andyc

I haven't taken it back in yet for the fuel injection, but I have a comment about your "over 100kph" surging.

My PCX has always had that issue at the top end and I wonder if it is not the result of some engine surging, but is instead a function of the speed governor and you're mistaking it for a fuel problem. As I understand it, the PCX has an artificial limit on the top speed. Mine is 108kph and it won't go faster than that even downhill full throttle with the wind behind, proper pressure in the tires, light load and the driver bent over to minimize the wind. 108kph is it. The bike will come up to that speed and then slightly back off, then push back, then repeat. It's always done that.

I'm not saying that your problem couldn't be fuel flow or something else, but could what you describe be hitting the speed limit wall?

Big Guy

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Monday, 28 November 2011 @ 04:36 PM ICT  

Mine is 108kph and it won't go faster than that even downhill full throttle with the wind behind,

There is a solution for thatWink But 116-118-ish is about maximum. Some get 120+ indicated but...

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: andyc (offline)  Thursday, 01 December 2011 @ 06:25 PM ICT  

Quote by: andyc

Hello andyc

I haven't taken it back in yet for the fuel injection, but I have a comment about your "over 100kph" surging.

My PCX has always had that issue at the top end and I wonder if it is not the result of some engine surging, but is instead a function of the speed governor and you're mistaking it for a fuel problem. As I understand it, the PCX has an artificial limit on the top speed. Mine is 108kph and it won't go faster than that even downhill full throttle with the wind behind, proper pressure in the tires, light load and the driver bent over to minimize the wind. 108kph is it. The bike will come up to that speed and then slightly back off, then push back, then repeat. It's always done that.

I'm not saying that your problem couldn't be fuel flow or something else, but could what you describe be hitting the speed limit wall?

Thats what honda said to me,but what i didnt understand when i bought it it could the 120 now only just over the 100kph,i just didnt trust what honda were saying to me,maybe its correct then,thanks

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:

By: andyc (offline)  Thursday, 01 December 2011 @ 06:32 PM ICT  

Quote by: Flying Squirrel

Mine is 108kph and it won't go faster than that even downhill full throttle with the wind behind,

There is a solution for thatWink But 116-118-ish is about maximum. Some get 120+ indicated but...

Flying Squirrel would the but invaild my warrenty,i cannot understand i use to get the 120kph ,i think the speed regualtor is dangerous the way it surges,it doesnt start for a little while when you are at top speed but just happens all of a sudden,anyway its only my thoughts{,on the 4th back on my bike}

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:

By: andyc (offline)  Monday, 12 December 2011 @ 08:06 PM ICT  

I am writing this because i think the Honda pcx has a problem in Thailaind,Why when my bike was new i could reach the 120kph but now i get the pulling at over 100 kph,Honda are now telling all there customers its the speed management system or other things to those words,I have stripped down my fuel filter i have check the injecters the bike cannot cope with the fuel here in Thailand that is my own personal view,as other people have stated the injectors are made smaller on the pcx ,fuel is not clean and that includes the big name pumps but i will not state which one on this site unless i get a email,I think honda are pulling a fast one here otherwise there could be a recall in motion soon.

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:

21 posts :: Page 1 of 2
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association