Login
Welcome to Motorcycle Thailand
Thursday, August 21 2014 @ 08:16 PM ICT
 Forum Index >  Motorcycle Accessories >  Motorcycle Clothing New Topic Post Reply
 Wear safety gear!!!
   |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Donnelly ()  Monday, June 20 2011 @ 12:19 PM ICT (Read 2555 times)  
Anonymous: Donnelly

I've wanted a lot of things in my life – ocean views from my house, hot women and slick bikes. But nothing comes close to how much I wanted a shot of morphine for those 15 long minutes on the side of the road waiting for an ambulance in screaming agony.

Last month, on the way home my favorite corner and the front wheel came out on the gravel, forcing me underneath my Ducati to be skinned alive.

Now I just want my two toes back. Save yourselves from the worst experience of your lives and wear all the gear.

By: Anonymous: Dan ()  Monday, June 20 2011 @ 06:02 PM ICT  
Anonymous: Dan

Hopefully sharing first-hand experience like yours will go a long way to encouraging people to gear-up, no matter how short or safe the ride may seem.

By: silenzo (offline)  Sunday, June 26 2011 @ 11:46 AM ICT  
silenzo

Quote by: Donnelly

I've wanted a lot of things in my life – ocean views from my house, hot women and slick bikes. But nothing comes close to how much I wanted a shot of morphine for those 15 long minutes on the side of the road waiting for an ambulance in screaming agony.

Last month, on the way home my favorite corner and the front wheel came out on the gravel, forcing me underneath my Ducati to be skinned alive.

Now I just want my two toes back. Save yourselves from the worst experience of your lives and wear all the gear.

Thanks for sharing this.
It will encourage people to wear safety gear when ride the motorcycle.

We know that Thailand (and most South East Asia countries) has hot/ warm weather and humid.
That's why, use complete safety gear is like torture for them who ride motorcycle.

But, the risk of not using safety gear is more bigger and painful.
So, choose the right safety gear and comfortable while you ride your bike here.

Cheers

Forum Chatty
Chatty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

Profile Email    
By: Anonymous: Nilez ()  Wednesday, June 29 2011 @ 12:33 AM ICT  
Anonymous: Nilez

at least wear a helmet, back protector and good pair of boots if you want to be able to move after spill.Then good jacket, pants and gloves if you want to ride away after spill.

By: Anonymous: Sierra Delta ()  Sunday, July 10 2011 @ 11:14 PM ICT  
Anonymous: Sierra Delta

Hi Guys
I have been living in SE Asia (Laos and Thailand) now for circa 6 years. 48 yo, been riding now for well over 30+ years, all sizes and all disciplines/ And I have had my fair share of outstanding "offs" over the years.
I have been "lucky" to date, no missing body parts and no long term injuries (just the odd break and crack of a not too serious bone or two)...like I said just "lucky"
BUT every "off" I have had I was wearing the basics of Full Face, Helmet, Gloves, Armour Jacket, Draggin Jeans (usually no Riding Boots just decent H/Duty Leather Shoes/Boots)
One thing I learnt a long time ago back in Aust was ALWAYS WEAR ALL OF THE GEAR, regardless of how "short" the ride is.
The strong Police and laws in Aust help to enfoce this.
I zip around BKK now on a 2011 Ninja 250R (with a carbon s/o pipe for "acoustic safety"
YES, it is tempting to jump on the wifes Mio 125 and just zip down to the 7-11 for some Milk. That short ride for milk could be your last (even if it was not your fault) it doesn't matter...your dead (or permantley "not good" which is the same IMHO)
One of my biggest "pet hates" are the other falangs (even professional expats) here in Thailand (and Laos) that adopt the lazy, slack arse ZERO safety attitude and zip around on their scooters (and bigger bikes) like the local Thai's from the village (with not even a crap Index helmet on). Sorry I forgot to mention "It is their god given right to do what they want blah blah blah" let us not forget that important point shall we...Then when they have an accident and it is the straight to the local Embassy to medivac them home and get the tax payers to pay the 000's of medical costs etc etc (you all know what I am talking about)
Yes it is hot here, damn hot and humid (so is Australia in the summer) I ride from Bang Na to Ekkamai for work, Srinakarin Road is a motoring minefield at the moment (I think it is only a matter of time before I experience an "off" on this f'd up road.
I still wear a full face HPC Helmet, Armour Jacket, Armour Gloves, Draggin Jeans and H/Duty Leather Shoes. I arrive at Ekkamai and get undressed and I look like I have been swimming with my clothes on...I simply take a shower and get dressed for work (15 mins "inconvienience" is better that 15 weeks in ICU etc).
Even if I ride the bike to the movies it is the minimum of Helmet, Jacket, Gloves. (normal jeans and leather shoes)
Like Donnely has said he would love to have his 2 digits back, if you have all yours and want to keep them...LISTEN
Enough said guys, do what you want, but you should not have to LEARN FROM PAIN...Sometimes for somethings it is better to "listen to experience" rather than "experience it for yourself"
Cheers Guys,
SD

New Topic Post Reply

All times are ICT. The time is now 08:16 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic w/ New Post Sticky Topic w/ New Post
Locked Topic w/ New Post Locked Topic w/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Advertising

Poll

How many times have you crashed your motorcycle in the last three years?

•  Never
  •  Once
  •  Twice
  •  Three times
  •  Four times
  •  Five times
  •  More than 6 times
  •  More than 10 times
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 3,430 votes | 13 comments

TMEA MEMBER