By: Anonymous: Ron ()  Tuesday, 13 April 2010 @ 10:47 AM ICT (Read 5378 times)  

At risk of being accused of 'harping on' about this bike, I want to ask a technical question.

Kawasaki management tell us that their locally put together KLR650 is not sold in Thailand
because it can't pass the strict Thai emission laws. Presumably this is because it uses a
carburettor rather than fuel injection (?).
We know that Kawasaki have other models available in Thailand which use fuel injection.
Question; is it such a difficult task for them to adapt one of their own fuel injection systems for use
on their KLR650? Would this produce a 'cleaner' bike?
Or are there really other reasons why the KLR is not available in Thailand?
I'm no technician or marketing expert, but it seems to me that if Kawa really wanted to make
this bike suitable for Thailand they have an easy way of doing so. There sure are many
potential buyers out there.
Thumbdown

By: Anonymous: LimeGreen ()  Thursday, 22 April 2010 @ 06:25 PM ICT  

I wouldn't be surprised if the Kawasaki KLR650 is soon replaced by another model. The Kawasaki KLR650, growing out of the KLR600, debuted in 1989 making it the longest-running dual-purpose model in history.

Bridging the gap between an adventure-tourer and a dual-sport, the big single is equally at home riding around the town or around the country side. In the early days the KLR650 had briefly a more off-road-worthy counterpart, the KLX650, but that Kawasaki model failed to meet sales expectations, so it was dropped.

Kawasaki traditionally uses two years of time between model updates, meaning it won't be until 2011 that we see any new KLR650 model. But then likely it will get a engine overhaul and will meet European emission standards.

By: Anonymous: Mal ()  Tuesday, 27 April 2010 @ 02:08 PM ICT  

Hi, I just saw your discussion about KLR's for Thailand. We are planning a trip from Cape Town to Singapore in 2012, and I get conflicting reports about whether bikes bigger than 250's are allowed into the country. (or Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia) Our choice of bikes will be the KLR 650, so I am glad to read your positive reports about the bike. I hope you guys are regularly on this forum and can comment. I normally check out www.horizonsunlimited.com which is a good website, but am getting conflicting comments.
Thanks,
Mal

By: Richard (offline)  Tuesday, 27 April 2010 @ 02:32 PM ICT  

I have been to all three countries with several motorcycles, most bigger then 250cc. Sometimes rules can changes, so is it difficult to cross the border to Laos from Thailand on a Thai registered big bike. A friend who had a Malaysian big bike had much less problems...

The best source of information if to visit the countries embassies, they can explain the actual rules - for example you need a special permit to take your big bike into Vietnam or China. With the right paperwork all doors are open...

Are you planning to do the trip on Kawasaki KLR650's, the KLR650 is currently not available in Thailand. So keep in mind that spare-parts for your bike will be difficult to obtain during your time in Thailand. The KLR650 is available in Malaysia so parts would be no problems once you cross the border that way...

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: Ron ()  Tuesday, 27 April 2010 @ 04:53 PM ICT  

Mal,
This report is brilliant and should be useful to you.
Yes, bikes over 250cc are accepted in Laos and Vietnam but note the comments re speed and radar guns in Vietnam!!

www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/chiang-mai-hanoi-back-part-7-nong-khiew-luang-praban-t7532.html

Dirt Road

By: Anonymous: Mal ()  Wednesday, 28 April 2010 @ 04:37 AM ICT  

Thanks you guys. I really appreciate your comments, and the link. People are fantastic about sharing their experiences to help fellow travelers.
Mal

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association