By: Anonymous: Robert ()  Tuesday, 30 March 2010 @ 07:59 PM ICT (Read 3341 times)  

First I want to say I love your website.

I have a BMW K1200R I got a great deal on. I've been really enjoying it but the other week I filled it up with Gasohol 91 by mistake. It's meant to be run on premium fuel.

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 31 March 2010 @ 07:58 AM ICT  

Don't worry – it'll be fine. The BMW K1200R is designed to run on premium fuel but it will quite happily run on everything available at the Thai petrol station (with exception of the diesel offerings Big Grin) as the engine knocks sensors will detect the grade of the fuel and alter the ignition mapping to deal with it.

It will not harm the motorcycle in any way but the fuel consumption will not be as good and the performance will also be affected while the motorcycle is running on the lower octane fuel. As soon as the high octane fuel is back in the system the performance will return to normal. The higher octane fuel is required to deal with the engine compression ratio.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: Morten ()  Monday, 11 April 2011 @ 10:02 AM ICT  

I run a BMW too, and had to use gasohol at a few occations when no other fuel was available.

Shortly after, my R1200S developed a leak at the fitting below the fuel tank; my expat mechanic believed this was caused by the alcohol in gasohol dissolving the sealant around this fitting.

It might be a good idea to make an extra check of the fuel sustem before getting on the bike. If it starts to smell of gazolin - stop immediately and call the tow truck .....

Morten

By: Anonymous: Michael ()  Sunday, 17 April 2011 @ 02:15 PM ICT  

Quote by: Morten

I run a BMW too, and had to use gasohol at a few occations when no other fuel was available.

Shortly after, my R1200S developed a leak at the fitting below the fuel tank; my expat mechanic believed this was caused by the alcohol in gasohol dissolving the sealant around this fitting.

It might be a good idea to make an extra check of the fuel sustem before getting on the bike. If it starts to smell of gazolin - stop immediately and call the tow truck .....

Morten

BMW claims that the tank-fitting-seal can be used with fuels containing ethanol, it's therefor it's likely that your tank-fitting-seal was not an original BMW seal.

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association