By: Anonymous: Stephen ()  Saturday, 17 December 2016 @ 01:57 PM ICT (Read 355 times)  

I have a 1998 Honda Hornet 600 that will ride fine for a period of time before it starts to feel slightly underpowered, then dies on me. It sometimes sounds like it’s running on two cylinders.

When you wait for about five to 10 minutes it allows you to start and ride it again.

I think it’s a fuel issue but I’m a bit stuck on where to attack it. So far I have replaced the fuel tap diaphragms and filter and the vacuum pipe to the manifold and checked the breather hose. I cannot seem to simulate the fault when the motorcycle is stationary.

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 17 December 2016 @ 07:50 PM ICT  

First off check the carburetor float bowl and fuel cap drain. If all is okay there, the next thing to look at is the fuel delivery. Disconnect the fuel pipe and run another pipe into a jug. Start the engine and the crimp the vacuum pipe shut. This will have the effect of opening the fuel tap diaphragm and leaving it open so you can observe how well the fuel is flowing. As a side note, is the fuel fresh?

Lately we have been experiencing a number of problems with water absorption in the fuel.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: radnoc (offline)  Sunday, 18 December 2016 @ 04:10 AM ICT  

Hi, Sounds like the classic blocked fuel tank vent, try running it with the tank cap not quite closed.
Good luck!

radnoc

Group Comfort
Level:
: +3

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Sunday, 18 December 2016 @ 09:51 AM ICT  

I agree with Radnoc, it has all the symptoms of a vacuum in the fuel tank. You say that you checked the breather hose? Maybe you should look at it again.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association