By: Proffesor (offline)  Friday, 21 August 2009 @ 03:44 PM ICT (Read 7938 times)  

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me.

I'm about to make my 4th visit to the LoS, for 2 weeks. I'm then planing to visit for 3 months ( Oct / Nov / Dec ) as a prelude to semi-retirement. I'm looking for a mid-range maxi-scooter which I can use in and about town ( Pattaya ) or for mid-distance touring. I've been a motorcyclist on and off for 4 decades. I now have a recurrent lower back problem so I'm looking for a bike that I can "sit up on" as opposed to "lean forward".

From the price list posted on this forum I've identified what is stated to be the Yamaha Tmax 250 ( at 55k Baht ). I've tried toresearch this on the internet and it appears that the Tmax is a 500cc machine; I believe the 250cc variant is the Xmax.

Anyway, what I'mlooking for, please, is the following info :-

1) Has anyone got specific knowledge of this ( or similar ) machines ?
2) Do you agree that it is a good compromise for in-town as well as mid-range touring ~ I need a machine that my Thai girlfriend is also able to handle
3) Can you recomment any good, reputable dealers for this type of machine in the Pattaya area

Idealy I would like to test ride the machine when I'm in Thailand in 2 weeks time and then place an order in the hopes that it will be available for when I return in early October. My intention ( assuming that the posted price is correct ) is to buy new and take advantage of the warranty etc. but if there is a good second-hand machine available, I might be tempted if the price is right.

Thank-you in anticipation of forthcoming advise

Steve
a.k.a. the Proffesor

Proffesor

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: Tony ()  Friday, 21 August 2009 @ 10:22 PM ICT  

The good news, the Yamaha TMAX 250 is 'official' available at dedicated Yamaha dealers, the down site is the price... it costs a amazing 550,000 Baht give of take...

That is similar to two Kawasaki ER6N (650cc) on the road, or almost the same to four Kawasaki D-Tracker 250's and six times a Tiger Boxer 250 RS motorcycle.

Do not underestimate Thai females, they are probably born with the knowledge of transmission, they only need to get used to a clutch and off they go...

My wife, was used to ride a Honda CBR-150R and now has now a huge BMW touring bike, and she still did not sold her Yamaha FZ1... Her weight is 50 kilo...

By: Proffesor (offline)  Saturday, 22 August 2009 @ 12:49 AM ICT  

I must have mis-read Sad ~ I was first attracted to this machine because the price list I was looking at indicated ( or so I thought ) that it was 55,000 Baht. With smaller machines ( 110cc > 135cc ) priced at the 37k > 42k mark, it looked to be good value Big Grin .

At 550k Baht it is too expensive for me. I'll now have to completely reconsider Cry .

What is there that's available for 55k > 60k Baht, that's worth having Confused ?

Proffesor

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: professor ()  Sunday, 23 August 2009 @ 11:25 PM ICT  

Quote by: Proffesor

I must have mis-read Sad ~ I was first attracted to this machine because the price list I was looking at indicated ( or so I thought ) that it was 55,000 Baht. With smaller machines ( 110cc > 135cc ) priced at the 37k > 42k mark, it looked to be good value Big Grin .

At 550k Baht it is too expensive for me. I'll now have to completely reconsider Cry .

What is there that's available for 55k > 60k Baht, that's worth having Confused ?

There are some pretty good bicycles for that kind of money - try one. Things are generally cheaper in Thailand than where you come from but did you really think you could buy a new 500cc motorcycle for 55,000 baht? You sound like a cheap charlie so you should do well over here.

By: Proffesor (offline)  Monday, 24 August 2009 @ 12:19 AM ICT  

Quote by: professor

Quote by: Proffesor

There are some pretty good bicycles for that kind of money - try one. Things are generally cheaper in Thailand than where you come from but did you really think you could buy a new 500cc motorcycle for 55,000 baht? You sound like a cheap charlie so you should do well over here.

If constantly seeking a bargain makes me a "cheap charlie", then I'll have to ( reluctantly ) wear that badge.

And No, I didn't expect to get a new 500cc motorcycle for 55,000 baht ~ I was looking for a 250cc machine ( look at the subject line of this post ! ). If you look at the Yamaha price list on this site you will see that the Tmax is detailed as a 250cc machine, not 500cc. On the assumption that the 250cc machine was a bigger engined variant of what was on offer for 40,000 baht, 55,000 bahy seemed to be a reasonable extrapolation.

Now I know better.

What would be usefull, please, is some specific advice with regard to what, specifically, I should be looking to spend my 55,000 baht on !

Proffesor

Group Comfort
Level:

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association