By: Anonymous: Billy ()  Wednesday, 06 August 2014 @ 02:59 PM ICT (Read 4160 times)  

I own a Victory cruiser, and every time I do an oil change I have to go to the dealer to purchase my oil. Ever oil change is pretty costly. The owners manual recommends Victory brand semi-synthetic 20w-40 with a JASO MA rating. Do you know of any other oil I could use without having to go to the Victory dealer so I could save myself the trip and hopeful some money...

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 06 August 2014 @ 03:20 PM ICT  

Dear Billy,

Whether or not factory-branded oils offer any real advantages compared to their over-the-counter, counterparts is an ongoing controversy. In our personal experience using the factory-branded or factory-recommended brand of oil is not a strict requirement, and there are times when it's certainly permissible to adjust the recommended viscosity as well, as long as you understand the implications.

I'm sure that any motorcycle engine oil from the famous/international oil companies in Thailand, that meet or exceed Victory's recommendations should work just fine...

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Lingam (offline)  Thursday, 07 August 2014 @ 03:52 PM ICT  

Any good oil with Jaso Ma2 should work fine., do not use JASO MB as they are ment mainly for scooters

Lingam

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: Anonymous: Billy ()  Thursday, 07 August 2014 @ 04:32 PM ICT  

What is a good oil brand to buy?

By: news (offline)  Thursday, 07 August 2014 @ 04:58 PM ICT  

I normally only look for a few things when I buy new engine oil for my higher value motorcycles, first is it original, second I buy the best oil I can buy for the money I have. I have no idea how expensive the engine oil from Victory is, but if the difference is something less then 500 THB I would just let the Victory dealer refill the oil... Even if you have the cheapest model from the Victory Motorcycle line in Thailand you bike would still be around 1.3 million THB...

With the value of your motorcycle at that level you should not look for the cheapest way to refill your engine oil... (just my two cents)...

On the other hand if your home is not really near Bangkok, where I think the only Victory Motorcycle dealer is located, I would recommend that you buy the best motorcycle oil your money can buy, additional to make sure it's original I also would recommend you buy engine oil from a reseller that often sells the oil you want...

Some discussions about lubrication is that engine oil that is on the shelf of a shop for a long time (around 5-years) is of lower quality. I cannot say that this is true or not, but with a 1.3 million THB motorcycle you probably not want to test that out...

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: news (offline)  Thursday, 07 August 2014 @ 05:32 PM ICT  

Oops, the cheapest motorcycle is not around 1.3 million THB, the Victory Vegas 8-Ball cost “only” 985,000 THB... Still enough value to use a good quality oil from a respected “international” oil company.... Maybe Shell Advance, Castrol Power 1 GPS 4T or any semi-synthetic motorcycle engine oil from one of the other oil companies in Thailand will do....

I would also recommend that you read, Motorcycle Engine Oil - What you need to know and if you want to refill the oil yourself it's maybe helpful to read Too Much Oil in your Motorcycle Engine.

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Saturday, 16 August 2014 @ 10:21 AM ICT  

IdeaIf you are not in Bangkok Shell Advance Ultra will be good. It is fully synthetic and should be available at your nearest Shell station.

Click on image to open

It is 40 weight oil as specified. The 20W and 10W are meaningless in a tropical climate.

Also I doubt Victory Thailand has any Victory brand oil. Phone them and ask them to mail you some or offer to come to Bangkok and collect it!

Have a look at this <kevinscycleracing.com/crlubes.htm>

Click on image to open

OIL CHANGE KIT FOR VICTORY MOTORCYCLES This kit comes with 5 quarts of Castrol Semi-Synthetic 20/40 motor oil, a black oil filter and 1 Drain plug washer/O-Ring set

I cannot find it Castrol Thailand has Act Evo X-tra. Shell fully synthetic will be better anyway, as the Castrol is semi-synthetic and neither fish nor fowl.

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 16 August 2014 @ 11:03 AM ICT  

If you want to replace the oil filter from your Victory motorcycle but are not willing to pay the Victory price, I can suggest that you look for K&N Oil filters.

In Thailand one of the official K&N dealers for motorcycles is Fast Corner, which is located in Bangkok but I'm told that they also ship the filters throughout Thailand.

Fast Corner
396/14-15 Narativa Rachanaharin Road,
Chongnonse, Yannawa,
BANGKOK 10120
Telephone : 02-285 3856

You can try to contact them by email, but I suggest you call them also to confirm they have received your email sakchai@fastcorner.co.th

news

Group Comfort
Level:

8 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association