By: Anonymous: Michael ()  Tuesday, 29 July 2014 @ 08:14 AM ICT (Read 1601 times)  

Hey,
got a question about lending a vehicle in :
A friend of mine bought a Keeway motorbike from a dealer a few years ago during his stay in thailand with proper vehicle documents and which is registrated on his name. Now he wants to lend me the bike with the vehicle documents during my upcoming stay (for about 3 weeks).

Is it sufficient if he writes me some sentences about lending it to me and signing it or are there some formailities?
He isn't thai himself and hasn't been in the country for the last years (the bike is parked at a garage).

What could happen in the case that the police pulls me over and sees that I am not the owner?

Thank you in advance for your help

Best Regards
Michael

By: news (offline)  Tuesday, 29 July 2014 @ 08:54 AM ICT  

It's not a problem that the motorcycle is owned by somebody else. I often ride a motorcycle that is registered in the name of my girlfriend and she sometimes rides one of my motorcycles. We have never had a problem.

One thing you should check is the insurance, some fine print of some voluntary insurance only pays if the person riding is the one who applied for the insurance.... My advice therefore is to do an voluntary insurance for yourself, as it's very helpful if you have “pay” bail guarantee.

Also to “officially” ride a motorcycle in Thailand you need a international motorcycle drivers license. Most police will accept a motorcycle drivers license from the country you come from, but the official law is that you need a International drivers license – if you in a accident sometimes an insurance agent ask for your drivers license and if you not have a international drivers license they can refuse payment....

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Michael ()  Tuesday, 29 July 2014 @ 03:34 PM ICT  

Thanks a lot!
I assume that I can get the annual tax sticker too?

By: news (offline)  Tuesday, 29 July 2014 @ 03:47 PM ICT  

Quote by: Michael

Thanks a lot!
I assume that I can get the annual tax sticker too?

Yes, no problems getting the annual tax sticker – you can get them at the local post office or any office of the department of land transport.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association