By: Anonymous: Oliver ()  Saturday, 03 November 2012 @ 03:21 AM ICT (Read 3450 times)  

Hi All,

I would like to buy a limited serie motorcyle in Europe.

I would like to import it in Thailand and try to sell it.

In your website, there is writter:

Not yet registered abroad are allowed to be imported without applying for an import permit from the Ministry of Commerce. However, for the vehicles with the weight less than 3500 Kgs., an importer needs to obtain an import permit from the Industrial Standard Institute

What does it mean "not yet registered abroad" ? How to prove it ?

Could someone confirms me that is possible to import it ?

Regards

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 03 November 2012 @ 05:38 AM ICT  

Yes it is still possible to import a new motorcycle, but it would not be easy as a private person. You should contact Industrial Standard Institute for an import.

Also be aware that due to import duties and tax the motorcycle will be about 180% more expensive than it cost in Europe.

Also paying all the import duties and taxes doesn't guarantee that the motorcycle will be road legal in Thailand. Thailand has a very tough and strict exhaust emission standard. Your imported motorcycle needs to pass exhaust emission testing and other environmental tests which cost about 50,000 THB while registration will likely also costs another 50,000 THB (depends on engine size)

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Oliver ()  Saturday, 03 November 2012 @ 05:56 AM ICT  

Thanks for your reply !!

What do you mean by "it would not be easy as a private person" ?

It is harder to import it if I use my "own" european company ?

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 03 November 2012 @ 06:02 AM ICT  

Quote by: Oliver

Thanks for your reply !!

What do you mean by "it would not be easy as a private person" ?

It is harder to import it if I use my "own" european company ?

Things become easier if you have a Thai company which has an import/export license.

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: Oliver ()  Saturday, 03 November 2012 @ 06:58 AM ICT  

Thanks again !

Where can I find a trusted and reliable importing company ? Smile

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Sunday, 04 November 2012 @ 03:11 PM ICT  

Oliver,

If it is really exotic and not made by one of the big 4 and you have an existing business then it might be Ok as a hobby. Or if you have a huge amount of money and a business and you get the importation rights to that marque for Thailand then it might be worth a shot.
Like say MV Augusta for example and you are going to provide service and spare parts and....

The key would be are there enough riders interested in that bike OR does it have sufficient status/technical bling appeal that wealthy people will buy one , not necessarily to ride but just to show their friends.

Sounds flippant but....Even if you have all the above you'll need to import enough for the Chief of Customs to have one . plus the head of Emissions testing ..plus ... So budget to buy three more than you need for the first order.

If on the other hand they are say Trials bikes that will never go on the road, that would work!

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: Anonymous: Anonymous ()  Sunday, 04 November 2012 @ 03:42 PM ICT  

Oliver,

you should also remind, that Thailand doesn't have 95 roz benzene anymore and that even the 91 roz is to be stopped now.
So you'll only get Gasohol in the future and please take notice that this is to be cancelled in Europe because of several reasons.
Not every Bike is good for Gasohol and some factories even forbid the use of it.

By: news (offline)  Sunday, 04 November 2012 @ 08:35 PM ICT  

Quote by: Flying Squirrel

Oliver,

If it is really exotic and not made by one of the big 4 and you have an existing business then it might be Ok as a hobby. Or if you have a huge amount of money and a business and you get the importation rights to that marque for Thailand then it might be worth a shot.
Like say MV Augusta for example and you are going to provide service and spare parts and....

The key would be are there enough riders interested in that bike OR does it have sufficient status/technical bling appeal that wealthy people will buy one , not necessarily to ride but just to show their friends.

Sounds flippant but....Even if you have all the above you'll need to import enough for the Chief of Customs to have one . plus the head of Emissions testing ..plus ... So budget to buy three more than you need for the first order.

If on the other hand they are say Trials bikes that will never go on the road, that would work!

MV Agusta is maybe not one of the biggest and most known motorcycle brands in Thailand, but we already have a MV Agusta distributor in Thailand...

In Thailand I not hear much success stories of people making money from importing motorcycles into Thailand, especially with the new rules in place....

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Sunday, 04 November 2012 @ 10:28 PM ICT  

Quote by: news

[Quote by: Flying Squirrel[/u]

Oliver,

In Thailand I not hear much success stories of people making money from importing motorcycles into Thailand, especially with the new rules in place....

I was trying to be diplomatic! Although I am not much good at getting rid of formatting.

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

9 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association