By: SutusB25 (offline)  Sunday, 14 October 2012 @ 06:48 PM ICT (Read 5322 times)  

I would be interested to hear from those who have owned both of these machines.

Specifically I am curious about the actual benefit of the larger scooter.

In other words what do you get for the extra 25cc?

Alan Light

SutusB25

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: andyc (offline)  Monday, 15 October 2012 @ 12:11 AM ICT  

i own a 125 pcx,i have had my friends 150 pcx,well im sorry the difference is well,just that not a lot.

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Anonymous: Martin ()  Monday, 15 October 2012 @ 11:16 AM ICT  

Hi, Actually,the difference in performance is easily noticable.I rode both bikes and I used to struggle passing trucks and buses on freeways or open roads with the 125cc,because of the oncoming traffic.The acceleration was painful at speeds of 80km/h or more. But with this 153cc engine and extra 2 horsepowers,it is a piece of cake. The difference in engine size is almost 30cc and the new ESP engine is not only bigger but more modern as well. As a result,the 153cc PCX is a lot more fun to ride and a bit faster as well. It also keeps the power band longer than the 125. So,while not drastic,the improvement is considerable. Well worth the money,if you ask me.

Martin

By: Big Guy (offline)  Monday, 15 October 2012 @ 07:20 PM ICT  

You will see a noticeable improvement in the mountains as well. The 125 PCX already does very well going up Doi Suthep, but runs out of throttle on the steep incline after the observation platform. For me, the 150 PCX whips right up that section without having to crank it wide open.

On the small engine the extra 25cc's are a 20% increase in displacement. That is something on such a small bike and you only need to ride one after the other to see the difference.

The difference on the highway is not so pronounced probably because of the speed governor that limits the top end speed anyway. My 125PCX tops out at 104 kph indicated, but the 150 gets to 109 kph. That's only indicated so the difference might be based upon the speedos not the reality. We'd need a measured area or radar to really know.

Don't forget, the extra 25ccs also means that the engine is not working as hard to achieve the same results. That results in lower heat and wear, and increased lifetimes for the 150cc engine over the 125cc version: all other factors being equal (which they are not. The 150cc engine is a different design).

In any event, I don't think Honda still makes the 125cc version does it? That means the argument is moot if you want a new bike because 150cc is all they make.

A good little bike in any version, but I wish they would get rid of the bump on the stock seat and those support bumps in the seat structure too as it makes the factory seat horrible for anyone over 5-9.

Big Guy

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Tuesday, 16 October 2012 @ 06:39 PM ICT  

Quote by: Big Guy

In any event, I don't think Honda still makes the 125cc version does it? That means the argument is moot if you want a new bike because 150cc is all they make.

They still make a new 125 just not for the Thai market.

Maybe the OP is wondering about a new 150 vs a used or NOS 125 ( if there are any left).

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association