By: Anonymous: Paul ()  Friday, 09 December 2011 @ 05:33 AM ICT (Read 1936 times)  

Hi guys, I wonder if you can help me. I recently bought a 2009 Honda CBR600RR from a friend of a friend. It's in pretty clean condition having only covered 8,000 km since new and it's always been well looked after. I've noticed that it seems to be using a lot of oil, though. There isn't any sign of an obvious leak from the engine itself, although the exhaust does occasionally have little spots deposited on the outside, as well as what looks like quite a lot on the inside. I would say that it's used a 250 to 300ml of oil in the last 800km. I spoke to a Honda dealer from my home country about this and they say that the level of usage is within their tolerance and that I should basically stop worrying.

It's not that I don't trust the dealer, but I was wondering what other people view was on this. Thanks for your time and a love to read the stories on your website...

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Friday, 09 December 2011 @ 10:40 PM ICT  

Hi Paul, for your CBR600RR's oil consumption issue, we wouldn't worry too much about it. Like you said, Honda won't consider it a fault until you're losing a whole liter every 1,500km. As your motorcycle seems to be well inside this guideline it explains why your dealer didn't seem to bothered. That's the official line out of the way, but you're right to question this oil consumption as it appears not all '09 CBR600RRs use this much oil. There has also been at least one 2008/2009 Honda CBR600RR we know of that was seriously repaired because it was guzzling too much engine oil, so there is possibly an underlying issue with some of the engines out there.

There have been a couple of theories as to what's to blame, with many centering on the practice of using fully synthetic oil from the start. Before, manufacturers used to use mineral oils until the first service. Others believe that the Nikasil coating on the bores could play its part. Either way, it's not too uncommon for high performance motorcycle engines to use a bit of oil. Firstly, just make sure you keep an eye on the level – the last thing you need is to be pulling long-kilometers with a half full sump, if it gets to, or over, the one liter per 1,500km mark, you need to speak to that dealer again as the problem's getting worse.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association