10 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: davidstipek (offline)  Saturday, 23 April 2011 @ 06:35 PM ICT (Read 6638 times)  

How do I complain about help from any Thai Dealer, or Thai Manufacturer??

I have a 1984 Belle Y-80 (38L-011130)

I have had many Yamaha Bikes over the years never an issue. Because I was a Fomula One / OZ Racer for a Factory Boat Team, I always got biggest and Baddest Bikes they Offered. I was one of the Baddest on the Water my OZ Tunnel was well over 240 MPH Plus, I always showed up at Races or brought with me my Bike which was in same attitude. Actually became very close friends with Officials at Yamaha USA..

When I started my project They informed me that since the Y-80 was built for Thailand only I would need to get my information there. I have sent Emails to Corporate Yamaha/Thailand and waited in vain for an answer. I as Yamaha New Zealand, Malaysia, Australia for help since maybe Language was a barrier. I got same answers from them as I got Yamaha USA. At least I got answers. Yamaha has never ever even sent a reply. I know they got emails, Outlook has sent me notes that emails were read.

What I need is a wiring schematic, or a Service Manual. It probably doesn't make any difference what size engine as long as it is a Belle and a Y series motor.

I am removing engine from the Belle and have it installed in a Chopper Bicycle, I can start and run it no problem. I would like to be legal and completely refurbish the Electrical System. I can do... I not ask them to modify anything. I will buy and have been purchasing parts needed from Yamaha and S.C. Motor Co.,LTD. Actually the later (SC Motor) as been the best and most helpful.

I know Yamaha wants to sell NEW Bikes, and they probably think I am a waste of time... But Having This Bike show up and major Bike Shows is going to spark the renewed interest in Yamaha. If it was just a Scooter Ladies look and some men chance a glance as they walk by. But being a Lowered (14") and Stretched (18") They all want their picture sitting on it! The Name on the Tank Reflects Our Helmet Laws "Thai One On..." and gets approval everywhere. This is what draws interest to Bike Manufacturer's.

David Stipek

Click on image to open

David

davidstipek

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: news (offline)  Sunday, 24 April 2011 @ 07:27 AM ICT  

Yamaha Thailand is not famous for answering emails, especially if the emails are in English. I will try to look around if I can find a service manual for the Y-80 (but not get your hopes up to much).

For any future in your motorcycle project I would start thinking about changing to a 4-stroke engine. In your case I would contact Tiger motorcycle or Lifan who both manufacture engines for independent motorcycle builders.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: davidstipek (offline)  Sunday, 24 April 2011 @ 12:22 PM ICT  

Thanks News

The Bike (Chopper) was complete as a bicycle and we proved out the electrical system using a Wheel driven Dynometer, Rectifier, 6V battery and I believe a couple extra diodes just to be safe. Everything works fine. Now we went to next step. Add Engine, Yamaha USA had referred me to use Y-80 Belle because it was semi automatic and that means one less cable to worry about. We went 2 stroke because I had spent my entire carrier in Boat Racing (Mercury Outboards) dealing with how to get Horsepower...

We had fired Belle up after running fresh oil and gas thru her and with minimum wiring she started right up. So I set it on stand and let it work its way thru 4 liters of petrol. Last two we removed muffler system and richened up oil to get a little more smoke. I also kept engine temp down between 185 - 215 deg F. as bike was on stand.

We already had sprocket for 420 chain at original Bottom Bracket location on left side of bike. Engine is now cooled down, plug is grayish /brown. Mixture is ok (This is without muffler) Mercury Marine had already created me a dual pipe for this Bike using a set of BP Stacks from an early (1969) racing outboard. They had shortened and internally built expansion chambers in each, then layed them together and into one pipe to attach to Belles header pipe. Ever had installed male theaded fitting so with packing and original nut it would be a cinch to install. Also they can be opened to clean out and repack glass if mixture gets too rich.

All I really want to to is add rectifier and Battery to original harness. And check extra wires from Magneto (I am used to 5 this bike has 7)We are using original 2T oil tank (modified to fit frame and sensor) would like to see which wires at Headtube are for Neutral light and oil. I have already added these lights and High beam indicator to Speedometer mounting plate.

Really don't want to go 4 cycle route as I, how you say was born a 2 cycle man. I worked for Mercury from the day I left the Air Force in 1968 until retiring early in 1999. I was now wearing glasses and with bifocales had a hard time reading water's edge as I ran into it. I had suvived Vietnam spending my time in Thailand. I now had a Thai Wife and 3 Daughters and did not want to die in Boat crash... I had lived this long... now time to enjoy those around me (I got smart!!) So we moved back to our house in Chiang Mai where I could play with my toy's. My... let me clarify... My Wifes nickname is Toy.... I am not referring to playing with her...Hahaha.

So News now you can see why I had chosen the Y-80 (plus I already had one!) I had gotten some people at Ministry of Transportation interested, as this was a way for bike shops to recycle engines and parts to use on 3 wheel work bicycles and Handicap Bike's using governers is these cases. under 90cc and would have all required safety lighting and mirror plus helmet. Riders must be over age 15. No license needed if retains either Hand crank or Pedals and either be functioning.

Now Maybe you understand more the full meaning of "Thai One On..."

Pretty good lighting for lowbeam using Panasonic Haligen 6V screwin flashlight bulbs, High beam uses both bulbs in both factory setup locations in light fixture. Taillight uses a led for taillight and behind it a 6V halogen bulb. Both of these light originated on my first Bicycle 55 years ago in Seattle. Here they (police) call my lights "Farang Lights) because they work... been on the road at night here? you'll know what I referring to... Haha

Enjoy...

Regards,
David

Click on image to openClick on image to openClick on image to openClick on image to openClick on image to openClick on image to openClick on image to openClick on image to openClick on image to open

David

davidstipek

Group Comfort
Level:

By: davidstipek (offline)  Monday, 16 May 2011 @ 03:11 PM ICT  

Quote by: news

Yamaha Thailand is not famous for answering emails, especially if the emails are in English. I will try to look around if I can find a service manual for the Y-80 (but not get your hopes up to much).

For any future in your motorcycle project I would start thinking about changing to a 4-stroke engine. In your case I would contact Tiger motorcycle or Lifan who both manufacture engines for independent motorcycle builders.

News...
I understand what you are saying to move on to a 4 cycle power. BUT...

even though this bike has some age on it the power-plant is basically still new. My problem was not being here at times when something failed... normally the shop just cut out or bypassed (saving our Daughter Teenager... Money) the bike was properly stored and cleaned up to use again... Plus it was free!!! I already had power I needed to build Chopper, plus it was an automatic so I had no issues not dealing with clutch as I wanted 2 bar mounted brake levers.

Again I contacted Yamaha USA, They are amazed that Thailand not even let me know that read or received my Email. But I have a return receipt that they opened and read in Outlook. When I went to Office they acted like we never ignore any questions... We never received any such email request. Then I opened my Laptop and they saw that I had proof they had, and read it. But I went on to ask why everyone say so easy to get PDF format files. 3 other Countries all said same thing.

I am getting ready to ask Corporate in Japan as I have a Name to relate to here now. I did not get mad or raise voice just let them see...I knew different!

Actually there are many sales to be made with Farang here in Asia and I do Have Shop and link to Embassy to refer buyers in correct direction for purchasing when introduced from Embassy.

Right now Yamaha does not have High points in Customer Service.

If you can locate, I really would love it as I do not want to go other routes... if you understand...

Regards,
David

Click on image to openClick on image to openClick on image to openClick on image to open

David

davidstipek

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Monday, 16 May 2011 @ 04:55 PM ICT  

I too had a problem with a just purchased Yamaha Mio 125 MX It was very slow and sucked down the 91 like nobodys business. Took it to the dealer twice. They said normal ? Anyone out there, ... should the Mio 125 only go 88 km/h tops max ??? and get only 35km/L ??? I think not. Took it to BKK Yamaha main office and talked with their Tech guys in perfect English, Their answer was "oh" That was it. No suggestions, no sorry, no we will fix it, no we will check it out for you, just "OH" There was a few minutes of quiet as they stood there and I waited, then they slowly walked away . . .

Now then, does any one want to buy a nice new showroom condition Yamaha Mio 125 MX their top of the line model ?
I will sell it out cheep ! and never look back

By: Anonymous: david ()  Wednesday, 25 April 2012 @ 09:15 PM ICT  

Quote by: Jeffrey

I too had a problem with a just purchased Yamaha Mio 125 MX It was very slow and sucked down the 91 like nobodys business. Took it to the dealer twice. They said normal ? Anyone out there, ... should the Mio 125 only go 88 km/h tops max ??? and get only 35km/L ??? I think not. Took it to BKK Yamaha main office and talked with their Tech guys in perfect English, Their answer was "oh" That was it. No suggestions, no sorry, no we will fix it, no we will check it out for you, just "OH" There was a few minutes of quiet as they stood there and I waited, then they slowly walked away . . .

Now then, does any one want to buy a nice new showroom condition Yamaha Mio 125 MX their top of the line model ?

Jeffery

Did you ever get fixed? If not where are you located? I am in Chiang Mai, close to Nong Hoi Market.

David

By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Thursday, 26 April 2012 @ 08:55 AM ICT  

Quote by: david

Quote by: Jeffrey

Jeffery

Did you ever get fixed? If not where are you located? I am in Chiang Mai, close to Nong Hoi Market.

David

Yamaha never fixed it or made any attempt to make things right. Sold the bike cheep and since that time have only purchased bikes of other brands (6 since the sale of the Yamaha)

A little customer service goes a long way to make happy customers. Maybe that is why Honda has 69% of the market share and Yamaha only a few percent of the market

By: Anonymous: Dvaid ()  Thursday, 26 April 2012 @ 07:40 PM ICT  

It's a common story isn't it?

Total contempt for the bike owner/customer; not only Yamaha but others inc 'prestige' dealers such as Barcelona Motors Chiang Mai and Bgk.

The one place where I personally have received professional service (as have many others) is Kawasaki in Chiang Mai.

Is it a 'He's only a Farang' thing, I often wonder.

By: Anonymous: David ()  Thursday, 26 April 2012 @ 08:51 PM ICT  

Quote by: Dvaid

Total contempt for the bike owner/customer; not only Yamaha but others inc 'prestige' dealers such as Barcelona Motors Chiang Mai and Bgk.

The one place where I personally have received professional service (as have many others) is Kawasaki in Chiang Mai.

Some times when the Brezze is just right..... Kinda Smells that way,

Really makes you wonder when you have Thai Friend go in and ask same questions... get answers... You go in... Same Tech... answer is I cannot Help you, so you have another friend ask again in Thai While you wait, for you and that is same answer they get... sorry...

But I really Love Thailand, so I turn the other cheek. and get my answer and help from First Thai Friend... who got the answers! REALLY maybe the Tech was having a Bad Day.

Like Baseball, I will give him 3 strikes and 3 outs. It is the final Inning and Score is 1-0 ... May favor....

By: Anonymous: David ()  Thursday, 26 April 2012 @ 09:03 PM ICT  

Quote by: David

Quote by: Dvaid

Some times when the Breeze is just right..... Kinda Smells that way...

Really makes you wonder when you have Thai Friend go in and ask same questions... get answers... You go in... Same Tech... answer is I cannot Help you, so you have another friend ask again in Thai While you wait, for you and that is same answer they get... sorry...

But I really Love Thailand, so I turn the other cheek. and get my answer and help from First Thai Friend... who got the answers! REALLY maybe the Tech was having a Bad Day.

Like Baseball, I will give him 3 strikes and 3 outs. It is the final Inning and Score is 1-0 ... My favor....

2ND batter out.... @ away... New Batter.. 2nd pitch......STRIKEEEE 2! (one more chance)

10 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association