14 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Anonymous: sylvain ()  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 05:04 PM ICT (Read 10307 times)  

hi, i don't think that they are street legale in thailand.

please confirm

best regards

sylvain

Some of the posting here where originally posted as comments for article The Bell Custom 500 Series Retro Motorcycle Helmets

By: news (offline)  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 05:05 PM ICT  

The Bell Custom 500 Series is DOT, snell, and CE approved.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Sylvain ()  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 05:07 PM ICT  

yes i know, but the Bell helmets did not pass the T.I.S (Thai industrial standard ) also known as MO HO KOR, so they are not street legal in thailand.

Only SHARK helmets have successfully passed the T.I.S ( not other big brands ).

Best regards

Sylvain

By: news (offline)  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 05:12 PM ICT  

The T.I.S or MO HO KOR is not an requirement for motorcycle helmet in Thailand. Official the Thai Land Traffic Act, Ordinance No. 14/1992 of the Ministry of Interior only states;

-----------------------------
Ordinance No. 14/1992 of the Ministry of Interior

Section 1
Definition of a helmet.

Descriptions of 3 types of helmet: full-face, open-face and half-face.
When the helmet is accompanied with a visor, the visor must be transparent and untainted.

Section 2
A motorcycle helmet must be one of the 3 types mentioned in Section 1. When the industrial standards have been set, a motorcycle helmet must come up to the standards.

Section 3
When riding a motorcycle, both the driver and the passenger must wear a motorcycle helmet and fasten the chin strap securely so that the helmet doesn't come off in case of a collision.

Ordinance of the Cabinet, December 23, 1994

(in essence) Whereas the 1992 Ordinance enforced the Helmet Law only in some areas of Bangkok, this Ordinance enforce the Helmet Law in following areas:

1. Whole Bangkok … 90 days after promulgation of this Ordinance
2. Khon Kaen, Chonburi, Chiangmai, Nakhon Pathom, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Si Tammarat, Nakhon Sawan, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Phitsanulok, Phuket, Songkhla, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Surat Thani, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani … 180 days after promulgation of this Ordinance
3. All other provinces … 360 days after promulgation of this Ordinance

land_traffic_act
-----------------------------------

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Matty (offline)  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 05:20 PM ICT  

I find it unbelievable that the well known ( and expensive ) motorcycle helmets are not street legal in Thailand.
I use a KBC full face helmet for longer rides but for short ''shopping'' trips i bought a local Thai helmet from a motorcycle accessory shop.
This local helmet is nowhere near the quality of my KBC helmet ( and at 600baht i didnt expect it to be.) or i doubt it meets the stringent safety standards of KBC, Shoei, Bell, Shark, Arai or such helmets.
I would not worry too much about if its street legal anyway, police dont seem to stop motorbikes if the passengers are wearing helmets and riding sensibly.
But i recommend buying a cheap thai helmet for short trips when you want to park and leave your helmet on the bike. When i take my KBC i always take it with me when i park, And the comments i get and looks i recieve when im carrying it around at markets and along the street lead me to believe it wouldnt last long if left with my bike.
cheers
Matt..

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: Scott ()  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 07:01 PM ICT  

There is a Thai Industry Standard, Protective helmets for vehicle users TIS 369-2539 (from 1996)

And this standard is a compulsory standard since 28 February 1997

By: admin (offline)  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 07:16 PM ICT  

Quote by: Scott

There is a Thai Industry Standard, Protective helmets for vehicle users TIS 369-2539 (from 1996)

I not see the TIS-369-2539 as a serious safety standard. A 200 Baht (4.50 Euro) helmet at BigC supermarket also has the TIS-369-2539 safety standard, but I push a dent into the outer shell with my thumbs...

Click on image to open

admin

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: Anonymous: DOUBLE STANDARDS ()  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 07:16 PM ICT  

A reliable source informed me last week that our uniformed friends have in fact been visiting Bike and Helmet Shops in Pattaya and taking 'unapproved' up-market helmets from the shelves!
This may be occurring elsewhere.
It may also be a MASSIVE revenue raiser if applied at traffic stops on the roads here.

Yet, here in 'The Rose of the North', we see the vast majority of riders, including unlicensed school children, riding around minus a helmet, often passing police en-route. And we see police riding without helmets too.

GET YOUR PRIORITIES RIGHT BOYS IN BROWN!! Thumbdown

By: Anonymous: shark ()  Wednesday, 15 December 2010 @ 07:34 PM ICT  

Quote by: admin

Quote by: Scott

I not see the TIS-369-2539 as a serious safety standard. A 200 Baht (4.50 Euro) helmet at BigC supermarket also has the TIS-369-2539 safety standard, but I push a dent into the outer shell with my thumbs...

Dear Scott,

as i am the Shark distributor for Thailand, and having the only brand on the market which has passed the T.I.S at the beginning of the year, i am very concerned about this thread.

I noticed that (some ) local brand have passed the T.I.S but are way below any international safety standard, so they are street legal but not safe.
Other Big international Brands have passed DOT,SNell,ECE... but not the T.I.S , so they are very safe, but not street legal
Those Brands can be imported in Thailand, but according to our advisor, they cannot be put on shelves in shops and sold

I guess that again,everything is possible in Thailand

best regards

sylvain

By: monoguy (offline)  Thursday, 16 December 2010 @ 02:09 AM ICT  

So which mean All the post that is up in here, are saying that If a helmet(s) that didn't Pass the TIS. cannot be worn on the streets as they are not Street Legal...

can someone give a better answer for this post? i am getting confuse... and i also dun want end up paying Bonus for the "brown" Razz

Jeffrey

monoguy

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Anonymous: shark ()  Thursday, 16 December 2010 @ 08:39 AM ICT  

Quote by: monoguy

So which mean All the post that is up in here, are saying that If a helmet(s) that didn't Pass the TIS. cannot be worn on the streets as they are not Street Legal...

can someone give a better answer for this post? i am getting confuse... and i also dun want end up paying Bonus for the "brown" Razz

Dear Jeffrey, I Have asked my legal advisors about the legality of wearing an non street legal helmet on the street and will let you know soon
best regards

Sylvain

By: monoguy (offline)  Friday, 17 December 2010 @ 04:26 AM ICT  

Quote by: shark

Quote by: monoguy

Dear Jeffrey, I Have asked my legal advisors about the legality of wearing an non street legal helmet on the street and will let you know soon
best regards

Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

I think we speak on the phone before, asking abt the Shark helmet. but currently i was too busy to go check out the helmet.. Smile

anyway. thanks for the help.

Jeffrey

monoguy

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: REDDY (offline)  Friday, 17 December 2010 @ 10:08 AM ICT  

So, does this mean we'll be stuck with just one choice for a helmet that passed all international standards? Funny, I'm now seeing a mustachioed old man wearing a coat with tails and a bow tie, with a top hat, a monocle, and a cane...

REDDY

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: Anonymous: shark ()  Saturday, 18 December 2010 @ 07:06 AM ICT  

Quote by: REDDY

So, does this mean we'll be stuck with just one choice for a helmet that passed all international standards? Funny, I'm now seeing a mustachioed old man wearing a coat with tails and a bow tie, with a top hat, a monocle, and a cane...

Dear Reddy,

No, it just means that shark helmets is the first international brand to have passed the T.I.S, may be other brand will follow in the future.

will keep you updated anyway

best regards

Sylvain

14 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association