21 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Anonymous: Anonymous ()  Wednesday, 08 December 2010 @ 08:08 AM ICT (Read 17068 times)  

Life can be weird, Ratthapark Wilairot rides on a daily base one of the fastest motorcycles in the world, he comes to Thailand for his dads funeral and has an accident riding pilion on a Cub 100 or 125cc like motorcycle.

I surely hope Ratthapark “Film” will have a speedy recovery, and my condolence to his friend who died in the accident.

This posting was originally posted as a comment for article Ratthapark Wilairot Injured In Streetbike Crash

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 08 December 2010 @ 08:21 AM ICT  

We at Motorcycle Thailand want to wish the family Wilairot lots of strength in this difficult time, and that Ratthapark soon will recover from this dreadful accident.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Anonymous ()  Wednesday, 08 December 2010 @ 05:40 PM ICT  

Tragic.
Seems that riding in Thailand can be more dangerous than riding in Moto2.
I wonder if each of the young victims were wearing decent helmets; worth investigating.
may you have a full recovery Khun 'Film'.

By: Anonymous: Ron ()  Thursday, 09 December 2010 @ 04:12 PM ICT  

A Thai based writer in the forum of an Australian website similar to this, who is close to the family, stated that neither rider was wearing a helmet!!

By: Richard (offline)  Thursday, 09 December 2010 @ 05:25 PM ICT  

Quote by: Ron

A Thai based writer in the forum of an Australian website similar to this, who is close to the family, stated that neither rider was wearing a helmet!!

I ride often in our moobaan (neighborhood) without helmet, but, the accident with Ratthapark is a wakeup call that even if I ride to paksoi I will wear a helmet...

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: Anonymous ()  Sunday, 19 December 2010 @ 07:05 AM ICT  

Meanwhile, the Thai media is totally ignoring the very relevant question; were these two young men wearing helmets?

I suspect not.
If this is so then there would probably be very complicated contractual and insurance issues to be dealt with.
And, of course, if helmets were not worn then what a terrible role model Ratthapark would be showing to so many Thais who idolize him. But we can't have that can we?

So my guess is that neither men were wearing a helmet and, as so often happens here, the truth is brilliantly concealed and no-one in the media (including Motorcycle Thailand) has the courage and strength to get to the facts. Hope I'm wrong. Doubt it though.

By: Anonymous: Anonymous ()  Sunday, 19 December 2010 @ 07:06 AM ICT  

Hmmmm, an underwhelming response to a serious (if 'uncomfortable' ) question!

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 22 December 2010 @ 09:38 AM ICT  

Quote by: Anonymous

Meanwhile, the Thai media is totally ignoring the very relevant question; were these two young men wearing helmets?

I suspect not.
If this is so then there would probably be very complicated contractual and insurance issues to be dealt with.
And, of course, if helmets were not worn then what a terrible role model Ratthapark would be showing to so many Thais who idolize him. But we can't have that can we?

So my guess is that neither men were wearing a helmet and, as so often happens here, the truth is brilliantly concealed and no-one in the media (including Motorcycle Thailand) has the courage and strength to get to the facts. Hope I'm wrong. Doubt it though.

Trust me we tried to find out if they were wearing helmets, but I guess that the only person who knows this are the persons who found them.

The police in Chonburi doesn't want to tell or simply also not knows, they doing it off as irrelevant to the accident and therefore the report doesn't specify it.

And due to the nature, and our decency, we don't try to dig deeper. The family Wilairot have enough to deal with...

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Truth ()  Wednesday, 22 December 2010 @ 05:43 PM ICT  

" they doing it off as irrelevant to the accident and therefore the report doesn't specify it. "

Oh really? Whether or not they were wearing helmets is 'irrelevant'.! Amazing logic.
Don't forget the other victim either.
It wasn't only the one family who suffered.

I claim that the Thai media, including this website, has a duty to report the facts.
Even if it is 'sensitive', it is important.
It's not so much a matter of 'decency'; it's a matter of truthful and efficient reporting.

We'll never know the truth.
It's concealed.

By: Anonymous: You Should Be Ashamed ()  Thursday, 30 December 2010 @ 07:40 PM ICT  

Motorcycle Thailand - you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. But I guess you won't be !

Decency indeed ! You should be promoting motorcycle safety. There you are posting a news article about checking your bike before riding it . . . check the chain tension, the brke pads etc to be SAFE. Riders involved in the World Circuit must set the example for 'ordinary' riders. Kids (and adults) in Thailand lack the road safety (and general) education that would have them wearing helmets as a matter of practice EVERY time they get on a bike. Just like wearing seat-belts front and back every time they get in a vehicle. Look at the 8 people thrown OUT OF THE VAN and OVER THE WALL of the expressway the other night. With seat-belts on I dare say the majority of them would not have died.

For the sake of the kids who will ride bikes in the years to come you guys. Promote rider safety or close down your site.

When you decide to start up a public forum website like this you take on a responsiblity to the public. Just like Facebook has a responsibility to protect the privacy of it's users, you have a responsibiity to promote rider safety. Don't post tips on safety one day then quote your "decency" the next. What, you wanna be popular with "Film" by not criticizing him? Gonna get more hits on your site that way? Good on you. But pathetic.

He has a huge responsibility as a World Class rider to set the standard for the 'kids' to follow. He let hmself down (if not wearing one, which not proven), and he let the people of Thailand down. If so, he should be ashamed of himself, and so should you. Just like FI drivers doing burn-outs in the car park at Aussie Grand Prix. Gotta set yourself a higher standard than that. Boring I know, but they get their fun ON the track.

That death of Film's friend was no accident. Film's friend would likely still be alive today if he had been wearing a helmet. Film knows it. So do you.

Shame on you.

it's not too late to change. Apologise; put it right. An editorial from you stating your position as supporting the wearing of helmets AT ALL TIMES and criticizing any and all who do not, regardless of their status (cannot name anyone, as not proven). You will then be forgiven.

Film should think about doing the same thing. PM Abhisit (not everyone's favorite person, I know) is seeking ways to reduce the huge road toll in Thailand. Film getting on TV to tell everyone to wear their helmets so what happened to him and his friend won't happen to them could go a long way towards helping that !

By: Anonymous: shark ()  Thursday, 30 December 2010 @ 08:51 PM ICT  

Film should think about doing the same thing. PM Abhisit (not everyone's favorite person, I know) is seeking ways to reduce the huge road toll in Thailand. Film getting on TV to tell everyone to wear their helmets so what happened to him and his friend won't happen to them could go a long way towards helping that ![/p][/QUOTE]

Hi every one !

The story of a young man dying too soon on a bike (or for whatever reason ) always make me feel bad.

But i have to admit that in Thailand (like in many south east asia Countries ) , helmets are not considered safety product, but just a piece of plastic that you put on your head to avoid a police fine.

The market has been polluted by pieces of junk for too many years, so promoting a safe and durable helmet among the young thai people is very difficult.

I have read that last year 11 000 people died in Thailand on motorcycle accident, and according to the article, those 11 000 people died because they did not wear helmets.

According to what i see every day on the street and roads of Thailand, i think that many riders are wearing very low quality helmets (i guess less than 600 Baht ) but they are riding bikes of more than 40 to 70 000 baht, all those bikes are able to ride over 100 km/hour , so with this kind of helmets, if they hit something at this speed, my best guess is that they won't survive.

My point is to say that forcing the riders and their passengers to wear helmets might be a good intention, but this can be only a first step. laws and regulation concerning the safety of the helmets have to be modified as well, to really give some safe product to the young (and less young ) Thai riders.

Assuming that there would be a law in the near future forcing the Thai riders to always use helmets, if the helmets are still the same quality as today , i bet you that the number of people dying in Thailand on motorcycle will still be very close to 11 000.

It is too stupid to die at 20.

best regards

Sylvain

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Thursday, 30 December 2010 @ 08:53 PM ICT  

Quote by: You Should Be Ashamed
.....When you decide to start up a public forum website like this you take on a responsiblity to the public........

What a load of tosh.

A forum is a place for people to discuss topics and ideas. The content comes from the members. The forum owner only has a "responsibility" and only if he/she wishes, to ensure that the content and language etc. used in posts meets the standards he or she set forth in the forum rules if there are any.

As for the van accident which is irrelevant anyway. The accident would not have happened had not an under-age driver with no licence rear ended the van in the first place. Yes seat belts, if worn, may have saved lives but lack of them was not the cause.

Is there a reason you did not register as a member of this forum? I note your "nome de plume" is not in bold lettering.

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: Anonymous: Truth ()  Friday, 31 December 2010 @ 02:27 AM ICT  

Agree with 'Should be Ashamed'.

The Thai media, including this website, don't want the truth to be known.
And 'yes', you DO have a responsibility.
If you have tried to get the factual facts from the Boys in Brown and failed, then TRY AGAIN.

Ask the survivor of the accident.
He's a Thai hero.

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Friday, 31 December 2010 @ 04:00 PM ICT  

Agree that the Thai media should dig in and find out. But then it may not be important for them to know whether or not he was wearing a helmet. After all it doesn't cost the state anything to keep him in hospital as it would else where.

I do not consider this site to be "part of the media" don't know why you would it is a forum. Ay least that is what it says at the top of the page.

An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.[1] They differ from chat rooms in that messages are at least temporarily archived. Also, depending on the access level of a user and/or the forum set-up, a posted message might need to be approved by a moderator before it becomes visible.

No responsibility is implied or needed.

As for the survivor being a Thai hero we will have to wait and see what he does in his future life to deserve such a accolade. Riding a GP bike is one thing. Riding pillion on a bike with no helmet is completely different. I seriously doubt he will be wearing a Vemar helmet next season. Not exactly a good ambassador but maybe they are a very forgiving company. Not the norm sadly in the dog-eat-dog corporate world.

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: Anonymous: Truth ()  Friday, 31 December 2010 @ 05:00 PM ICT  

Well it should be important for the Thai media and "Motorcycle Thailand" to find out the truth.
This site is more than a forum; it covers such aspects as riding safety.

Whether or not the two young men were wearing helmets IS very relevant.
The deafening silence on this question suggests they weren't.

As I said before; I believe we will never know.
The 'cone of silence' is at work again.

21 posts :: Page 1 of 2
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association