By: Anonymous: 1300rider ()  Thursday, 10 June 2010 @ 07:51 AM ICT (Read 3878 times)  

Hello, can somebody tell me roughly how long do you think a clutch in a Yamaha FJR1300 should last? I'm heading off south with the wife for a few weeks to get away from it all and have just had the FJR1300 fully serviced as a precaution.

I asked the dealer if I should have the clutch changed and he said wait until it goes, but I obviously don't really want to get caught out in south of Thailand with my clutch gone.

The Yamaha FJR1300 has nearly done 50,000 kilometers and has yet to miss a beat. Should I play safe and change the clutch?

By: Anonymous: Teebox Fjr ()  Thursday, 10 June 2010 @ 10:33 AM ICT  

Rode 8k miles, 2 years, clutch still ok

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Friday, 11 June 2010 @ 07:05 PM ICT  

Hi 1300rider,

We understand your concerns though as nothing lasts forever and it would be better to set off knowing you've got enough clutch for the entire journey. However, unless you're the sort to pull wheelies every time the road straightens or practice your racing starts away from every set of traffic lights the chances are your clutch will do more than 50,000 kilometers.

Also clutches very rarely go instantly. You normally get a hint of slippage in a high gear when you twist the throttle as a bit of warning, and as a result it is possible to nurse a clutch for many kilometers before it just spins and leaves you high and dry.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: shark ()  Monday, 14 June 2010 @ 09:42 PM ICT  

Quote by: 1300rider

Hello, can somebody tell me roughly how long do you think a clutch in a Yamaha FJR1300 should last? I'm heading off south with the wife for a few weeks to get away from it all and have just had the FJR1300 fully serviced as a precaution.

I asked the dealer if I should have the clutch changed and he said wait until it goes, but I obviously don't really want to get caught out in south of Thailand with my clutch gone.

The Yamaha FJR1300 has nearly done 50,000 kilometers and has yet to miss a beat. Should I play safe and change the clutch?

Hi,
for such kind of trip, the clutch itself should be the least of your problem at 50 000 km But you have to check carefully all the cables, and hose ( benzine, oil, radiator, as they suffer from the heat and crack after a few years )
. But if you want to do a checklist, you can download the yamaha original service manual at the following adress ( it is free )

www.yamaha-motor.eu/community/service/manuals.jsp

You will find every important information concerning the periodic check

Best regards

Sylvain / Shark

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association