By: Anonymous: SutusB25 ()  Wednesday, 31 March 2010 @ 08:37 AM ICT (Read 10044 times)  

I added two hard side boxes and a top box to my Phantom.. This makes it ideal as a shopping bike and also as a touring bike. The only limitation is lack of top speed when touring.
My simple idea to solve this latter inconvenience is to replace the driven sprocket (currently 41 T) with a 37 T alternative.
I have had no success in locating such a sprocket in Pattaya.
I am prepared to have a few manufactured in the UK and shipped to Thailand.
The question is can I purchase the smaller sprocket in Thailand?If so where?

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 31 March 2010 @ 09:34 AM ICT  

The main problem with the Honda Phantom TA200 is the power produced by its engine. In stock configuration the Phantom already has a hard time to keep riders happy in the power department.

Most modifiers, if asked, will tell you to change only 2-tooth up or down on the final drive. With the Honda Phantom lacking good amounts of brute horse power I would suggest you not to change to 37 tooth on the rear sprocket, maybe 39 tooth is more then enough.

It is all a balance of power to weight to gearing and wind resistance to get to a given speed. The Honda Phantom engine won't pull taller ratios due to lack of horsepower, then going for a smaller rear sprocket won't make it go much faster. It will make the motorcycle less powerful, quick get-a-ways from the traffic lights will be history.

Most Honda Phantom riders we know, who changed the rear sprocket, did some performance modifications on the engine...

Anyway, more than a tooth, will require changing the length of the drive chain a link or two.

For a sprocket for the Honda Phantom you surely not have to contact any English shops, you will lose lots of time discussing the specifications... Better you include Bangkok into the search for the rear sprocket. If you like it I can look a bit around...
Ride On

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: SutusB25 ()  Wednesday, 31 March 2010 @ 12:50 PM ICT  

Quote by: ThaiDesign

The main problem with the Honda Phantom TA200 is the power produced by its engine. In stock configuration the Phantom already has a hard time to keep riders happy in the power department.

Most modifiers, if asked, will tell you to change only 2-tooth up or down on the final drive. With the Honda Phantom lacking good amounts of brute horse power I would suggest you not to change to 37 tooth on the rear sprocket, maybe 39 tooth is more then enough.

It is all a balance of power to weight to gearing and wind resistance to get to a given speed. The Honda Phantom engine won't pull taller ratios due to lack of horsepower, then going for a smaller rear sprocket won't make it go much faster. It will make the motorcycle less powerful, quick get-a-ways from the traffic lights will be history.

Most Honda Phantom riders we know, who changed the rear sprocket, did some performance modifications on the engine...

Anyway, more than a tooth, will require changing the length of the drive chain a link or two.

For a sprocket for the Honda Phantom you surely not have to contact any English shops, you will lose lots of time discussing the specifications... Better you include Bangkok into the search for the rear sprocket. If you like it I can look a bit around...
Ride On

Thank you for response

Obviously any change in the sprocket specification as I indicated with increase all 6 gear ratios by about 10%.

I find using standard specification then I can accelerate from rest in 2nd gear . Even with 2 up.No strain on engine and clutch. This produces a quicker get-away then starting in 1st.
I have no specific info about the gearbox ratios(if you have this then I would be grateful to receive this data).

Given that I had this data then a comparison with 2nd Gear with Std. spec and 1st gear with modified sprocket spec. can be made.ie Ratios total

I would appreciate info on Bangkok sprocket suppliers who make stock 37T and 39T
I can then try both.
(I have approached one manufacture in Bangkok who will supply -but only a batch of 1000 -hence the idea of the UK supplier)

A further request-How do you get more Torque out of the engine

Regards

SutusB25

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 31 March 2010 @ 03:01 PM ICT  

One of the best ways to improve Phantom 200 engine performance is to bore-up. I was told by a guy I met on the road to Khon Kaen that he had his bore-up done in Chonburi. His Honda Phantom had remarkable good performance, compared to the stock capability.

I have no exact location where this guy had his Honda Phantom modified, but I bet that if you call Honda Aftersales service center and ask for big-dealers in Chonburi who are capable of modifying a Honda Phantom you get some answers.

The phone numbers for the Honda Aftersales service are 02-757-6131 to 9 for Bangkok, and 088-238022 and 3 for up-country locations. I hope you know somebody who can speak Thai, as the Honda service is very limited in foreign linguistic skills.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: SutusB25 ()  Wednesday, 31 March 2010 @ 05:59 PM ICT  

Quote by: ThaiDesign

One of the best ways to improve Phantom 200 engine performance is to bore-up. I was told by a guy I met on the road to Khon Kaen that he had his bore-up done in Chonburi. His Honda Phantom had remarkable good performance, compared to the stock capability.

I have no exact location where this guy had his Honda Phantom modified, but I bet that if you call Honda Aftersales service center and ask for big-dealers in Chonburi who are capable of modifying a Honda Phantom you get some answers.

The phone numbers for the Honda Aftersales service are 02-757-6131 to 9 for Bangkok, and 088-238022 and 3 for up-country locations. I hope you know somebody who can speak Thai, as the Honda service is very limited in foreign linguistic skills.

Thank You for this info.

If I have success I will detail my success

Thanks again

By: Anonymous: jack ()  Friday, 17 December 2010 @ 10:19 PM ICT  

hi, there is an isreali guy in pattaya, forgot his name, on soi buakao , right at the top of soi diana or left at the bottom of soi lingkee. he will do the mod to 250cc for you, he has lots of phantom stuff, a bit pricey but he can do almost anything with them,
regards Jack

By: Anonymous: SutusB25 ()  Tuesday, 04 January 2011 @ 01:58 PM ICT  

I decided to fit a 38 T rear sprocket.

This was fine around town,but useless on a run. No Acceleration in 6th

So then changed again -this time to a 39T

This proved to be the answer.

Good around town with acceleration in 6th

The engine sounds comfortable at 110k/m

In my view 39 T is a better proposition for Thailand than the 41 T as supplied.

Thanks to all who contributed to this blog

By: Anonymous: Mik ()  Thursday, 23 October 2014 @ 10:35 AM ICT  

When you speak of 110 km/m do you mean the real 110 (say, gps calculated) or those shown by the speedometer?

Cheers

8 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association