By: Anonymous: Simon ()  Thursday, 28 January 2010 @ 09:55 PM ICT (Read 3904 times)  

Hi guys, what's the deal with engine oil degrading? The reason I ask is because I recently found some oil at the back of my garage that's still in its air tight container, and the seals look to be intact.

If I had to guess, and if I check the books, I'd say it's about eight years old. Will this be OK to use, or am I better off going and renewing this rediscovered stock for more fresh stuff?

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Thursday, 28 January 2010 @ 10:11 PM ICT  

Hi Simon,

The answer to your engine oil question really depends on the type of oil. If it's plain old style mineral oil, then it shouldn't have degraded at all if the seals aren't broken.

If it's partly synthetic or has additives to increase performance, there is a very good chance some of them will have degraded slightly.

You'd probably get away with it, but is it really worth the problems?

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: Simon ()  Thursday, 28 January 2010 @ 10:23 PM ICT  

Additional to the motorcycle engine oil I have found a stock lot of motorcycle chain, which where also bought seven or eight years ago. They still boxed and have waxed paper around it, and has been stored indoors in a dry (air-conditioned) place. Would it be safe to fit this chains to motorcycles?

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Thursday, 28 January 2010 @ 10:42 PM ICT  

Yes, Simon, metal doesn't degrade unless it's rusting, if there are visible signs of corrosion, throw it away and don't take the risk. The other thing to consider is that nearly a decade later, the game has moved along significantly. For example, motorcycles 7 to 8 years ago might be putting out 30 to 40 percent less power and a chain produced 7 to 8 years ago may not be up to the job. It'd depend on the specification whether the chain has been superseded or replaced....

Please if you found more items... open new topic headings...

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association