26 posts :: Page 2 of 2
By: Anonymous: honse ()  Wednesday, 15 June 2016 @ 08:33 PM ICT  

As far as I know, it has always been similar to the visa.
In my situation I have max. 180 days, because I am a holder of 1 year retirement visa. From the issue in Bangkok post. They want to change the rules, for the contries who dont have a agreement with Thailand about vehicles from foreign contries.
In that case, I will need a permission first, to get the tempery import permission for my bike with danish number., similary to the rules now a days for me to Vietnam,China, Malaysia, Myanmar and Cambodia rules. A littel bit ekstra paperwork and not free of charges. But it can be done. Otherwise do like my Russian friend. Get yourself a diplomat passport.

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 15 June 2016 @ 09:37 PM ICT  

Quote by: honse

As far as I know, it has always been similar to the visa.
In my situation I have max. 180 days, because I am a holder of 1 year retirement visa. From the issue in Bangkok post. They want to change the rules, for the contries who dont have a agreement with Thailand about vehicles from foreign contries.
In that case, I will need a permission first, to get the tempery import permission for my bike with danish number., similary to the rules now a days for me to Vietnam,China, Malaysia, Myanmar and Cambodia rules. A littel bit ekstra paperwork and not free of charges. But it can be done. Otherwise do like my Russian friend. Get yourself a diplomat passport.

It would make not much sense if the rules were only for countries that not have an agreement with Thailand for road transport, most of the Asian Highway which connects Thailand to the rest of Asia is financed by the Chinese government and you bet they made sure that Chinese could use it…

So the Thai government is trying to make this rules apply to all foreign vehicles so that the Chinese cannot say anything… they will surely complain anyway…

In a communication from the Thai Department of Road Transport, it was made clear that any commercial vehicle would not have any difficulty entering Thailand…

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: honse ()  Thursday, 16 June 2016 @ 02:20 PM ICT  

Today I tlf. to The Foreign Trade Department on tlf. nr. 025474804, and talked with a man, about how to permit import my old Moto Guzzi to Thailand.
Because the bike already is in Thailand on a tempery import permission, he wants me to see him, with my bike in hes office in Bangkok, making the permit import permission
I will report back about the meeting in the future. I still have my temp. import perm. until sept.
best regards Kurt
www.aseanmctour.dk

By: honse (offline)  Thursday, 16 June 2016 @ 07:48 PM ICT  

Quote by: honse

Today I tlf. to The Foreign Trade Department on tlf. nr. 025474804, and talked with a man, about how to permanent import my old Moto Guzzi to Thailand.
Because the bike already is in Thailand on a tempery import permission, he wants me to see him, with my bike in hes office in Bangkok, making the permanent import permission
I will report back about the meeting in the future. I still have my temp. import perm. until sept.
best regards Kurt
www.aseanmctour.dk

honse

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: M1Tanker (offline)  Wednesday, 05 October 2016 @ 08:32 AM ICT  

I recently completed the permanent importation of my motorcycle (2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure) into Thailand. I also obtained the green registration book and Thai license plate. The process was long and required a lot of paperwork.

Here are some recommended questions to answer prior to starting an attempt to import a motorcycle into Thailand:
Are you trying to permanently import your motorcycle?
What kind of visa will you be coming to Thailand on?
How well documented is your motorcycle? All original sales documentation? All registration documents? Motorcycle driver's licenses to include expired and international drivers licenses?

There are two Thai government agencies that one needs to interact with in order to permanently import a motorcycle into Thailand:
1. Department of Foreign Trade within the Ministry of Commerce (NOTE: An import license must be obtained as well as an import permit for the motorcycle.)
2. Customs Department (www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+)
3. (NOTE: I did contact the Thai Industrial Standards Institute and they informed me that because I was importing a used/second hand motorcycle they did not play a role in the importation process.)

I did have to pay import duties and the motorcycle was depreciated in accordance with the formula that can be found in the Thai Customs link above. The cost wasn't zero baht but it was considerably less than a new or used equivalent BMW.

Once I completed the importation, I then took that paperwork to my local Department of Transport. I filled out more paperwork and paid a small processing fee. Weeks later I received my green registration book and license plate.

AlI personnel that I interacted with at all of the aforementioned Thai government agencies were professional and ethical. I will point out that many of the personnel in these offices are not completely familiar with permanently importing a motorcycle because they just don't see it happen that often. Patience, thoroughness, and professional determination are required. I found that researching the process online, asking a lot of questions, and communicating with each office in person or online to be effective. I started the process over a year prior to shipping my motorcycle.

M1Tanker

Group Comfort
Level:

By: admin (offline)  Wednesday, 05 October 2016 @ 02:00 PM ICT  

What I miss in your story is the rego homologation and emission and environmental testing

admin

Group Comfort
Level:

By: M1Tanker (offline)  Wednesday, 05 October 2016 @ 03:49 PM ICT  

After clearing customs, I took all the paperwork provided to me including the Form 32 and all of my receipts to my local Department of Transport. I provided all of that paperwork to the officials there. I was then instructed to take the motorcycle to the rear of the complex where vehicles are inspected. I did so and the officials there annotated the vehicle identification number (VIN) and engine serial number. There was no exhaust check although my motorcycle drew quite a crowd for a slow day. They then spent some time trying to find the motorcycle in their database. That was the source of some drama.

An official there said that they could not import (words he used) the motorcycle because my motorcycle was not allowed in Thailand. I then explained that I had received an import license approved for that very motorcycle by the Department of Foreign Trade and I just cleared Thai Customs properly. The official then made a phone call to some office in Bangkok. While he was doing that I watched another Thai official attempt to find my motorcycle in the database. What I learned is that the database isn't really set up properly. Sometimes the make of a vehicle is listed in the field for the model. Sometimes the model is listed in the field for the make. The Thai official was really trying to find my motorcycle in the database. I sat with her and for about 20 minutes and we tried variations of entering the make and model in various fields. We finally found a combination that worked and sure enough the information that came up with my VIN was the same as my original invoice. I think the previous official only stated that they couldn't import the motorcycle because it couldn't be found in their database. Once it was found in the database, the officials said everything was okay and in order. I assume that since the make, model, and VIN were in the database it was already cleared for homologation and emissions/environmental testing.

At that point, I was instructed to return to the main Department of Transport Office. The officials then took all of my customs paperwork plus the paperwork that they had just generated and made a copy of it which they provided to me. I was told that they would send all the original paperwork back to Thai Customs for additional approvals. I was really surprised by that and immediately called the Thai Customs officer that cleared me. She spoke to the senior official at the Department of Transport. She explained to me that she would watch for the paperwork and keep me informed. I think the local Department of Transport really wasn't trying to give me the run around but they were just being very cautious. As I stated previously, I do not think Thai government offices see efforts to permanently import vehicles that often. I was told that at that point I could ride the motorcycle with the copies of paperwork I had just received. I was provided the pink registration form that is typically placed in a round tube. It took several weeks to get the original paperwork back from Customs, but when it did arrive the local Department of Transportation contacted me. I went there and picked up my original paperwork and the green registration book. My license plate came weeks after that and again the Department of Transport notified me when it came in.

M1Tanker

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: Bob ()  Thursday, 06 October 2016 @ 12:56 AM ICT  

I tried to import a Harley-Davidson CVO Street Glide with California specs and was told on several times that it was impossible to get it imported. I even went so far that I went to the office of Thai Ministry of Commerce in Nonthaburi to hear the same story.

It would be very helpful if you could share some contact details

By: M1Tanker (offline)  Thursday, 06 October 2016 @ 05:55 AM ICT  

Quote by: Bob

I tried to import a Harley-Davidson CVO Street Glide with California specs and was told on several times that it was impossible to get it imported. I even went so far that I went to the office of Thai Ministry of Commerce in Nonthaburi to hear the same story.

It would be very helpful if you could share some contact details

The first place I started was Thai Customs, because I really didn't know better.

Customs Call Center
Building 9, 1st Flr.
The Customs Department,
1 Sunthornkosa Road, Klong Toey,
Bangkok, 10110, THAILAND.
Tel.+66(0)2 667 7991, 1164 (Hotline)
Fax.+66(0)2 667 7993
E-mail : 1164@customs.go.th

I spoke with them on the phone and communicated with them via email. They explained the process to me. They provided the same link that I found online for permanently importing a vehicle:

www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connec ... alvehicle+

They also wrote the following:

"According to your question, before importing your motorcycle to Thailand, please ask the permission with the Department of Foreign Trade of Thailand because they will issue the permission for import old motorcycle to Thailand.
Therefore, please contact them at 66(0) 2547 4771-86 or Hot Line 1385 and you should also ask the permission with The Thai Industrail Standard Institute
at Tel:66(0) 2202 3300-4, call center: 66(0) 2793 9300, e-mail : thaistan@tisi.go.th . For registration, we would like to suggest you to contact Department of Land Transport Tel.66(0)2-2718888 or hot line 1584."

I did call the Department of Foreign Trade and they eventually got someone who spoke English to speak with me on the phone. I started communicating with that office around September 2014. That office's contact information is:

Department of Foreign Trade
Ministry of Commerce
44/100 Nonthaburi 1 Road,
Muang, Nonthaburi 11000 Thailand
Tel : (66) 25474803 Fax : (66) 25474802

Did they provide an explanation as to why your motorcycle was not allowed in Thailand?

There are many reasons as to why an individual may not be able to import a motorcycle. I believe that I would not have been able to import my motorcycle if I was lacking any of the motorcycle documentation (bill of sale, original invoice, registrations, data sheet, etc.) or personal documentation (valid passport, valid and correct visa for importing a motorcycle (NOTE: I was only allowed to import one motorcycle.), yellow tambien baan, Thai driver's license, past driver's licenses including international driver's licenses, etc..

M1Tanker

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: ashwin88 ()  Wednesday, 22 February 2017 @ 11:08 AM ICT  

hi,,
The website of the Thai Customs Department has comprehensive information indicating exactly what is required for the temporary importation of a vehicle (including motorcycles, yachts and boats). Taxes and import duty are not payable by those who import a vehicle for a short visit (up to six months) with the intention of taking the vehicle out of Thailand at the end of the visit. However, a cash deposit or bank guarantee that covers the amount of liable taxes and duties is required. This will be forfeited if the vehicle is not exported within the time indicated on the temporary import papers.

Required Documents:

The temporary import declaration form, plus five copies
The vehicle's registration certificate
The passport or identification card of the vehicle's owner
An application form for the temporary import of the vehicle
A proforma invoice or invoice
A certificate of legal entity
A re-export contract
If the car is to be driven by someone other than the owner, proof of power of attorney is required
All fittings and accessories such as stereo systems and DVD players must be declared at the time of importation. Failure to declare these may result in the importer being fined, or even the seizure of the vehicle.

Procedure
At the point of entry into Thailand, the importer or agent must submit the temporary import declaration form. Once the form and relevant documents have been checked, the importer or agent must deposit the bank guarantee with the Cashier Division of the Thai Customs Department. Once the vehicle has been checked, the importer or agent will receive one copy of the form to keep, which they must return to the Thai Customs Department when leaving the country.

The relevant forms can be obtained from the Thai Customs Department at any point of entry into Thailand, or by contacting the department directly.

Tel: 02 667 7100
Note: There are agents that can assist with the entire process of temporarily importing a vehicle into Thailand.

A temporary import permit may be extended up to a maximum of two months in exceptional circumstances, such as an accident or broken engine. Anyone wishing to do this must inform the Customs Department in writing, indicating the exceptional reasons.

A person wishing to permanently import a car that only has a temporary import paper must write to the Customs Department that issued the temporary import papers. It will then levy the full amount due for taxes and duties as shown in the re-export contract.

A temporarily imported vehicle does not require registration but must leave the country within the allocated time, or else become liable for high taxes and fines.

Permanent Importation
A person with a non-immigrant visa and a work permit valid for at least one year may import one new or used vehicle for personal use.

Note: New or used vehicles permanently imported into Thailand are generally subject to very high taxes and duties (often around 200 percent of the vehicle's value).

The Thai Customs Department has comprehensive information indicating exactly what is required for the permanent importation of a vehicle into Thailand
Any prospective importer is required to have an import permit from the Ministry of consumer (MOC). Attempts to import without the correct permit will result in the vehicle's seizure and the imposition of large fines. The information and forms on the Ministry of Commerce website are in Thai only, and owing to the complicated nature of importing a car permanently into Thailand, it is advisable to use a Thai-speaking agent. The import permit must be issued before the vehicle's arrival in Thailand.

Required Documents:

The following documents are required for the permanent import of a new vehicle:

A valid non-immigrant visa
A work permit valid for at least one year
An import declaration form
A bill of loading or air waybill
Sale documents
The Delivery Order (Customs Form No. 100/1)
Foreign Transaction Form 2 in cases where the CIF value of the imported vehicles exceeds 500,000 Baht
An insurance premium invoice
Used or second hand vehicles will also require the following documents:

House registration certificate (Tabien Baan), land title (Chanote) or condo title deed
Passport
A vehicle registration certificate indicating that the imported vehicle was used abroad for at least 18 months
An import permit from the Ministry of Commerce
Procedure
At the port of entry into Thailand, the importer or agent must submit the relevant documents. Once the Customs Department has assessed the taxes and duties necessary and the importer has paid them, the importer must present the receipt issued by the Cashier Division to the Customs Department. After this, the vehicle will be released by the Customs Department.

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 22 February 2017 @ 03:27 PM ICT  

The website of the Thai Customs Department is not completely up-to-date, especially if you look at the English. For example, since the first of January 2017 the following rules are in place for Temporary Import of Motorcycle into Thailand.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

26 posts :: Page 2 of 2