17 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: JamesWest (offline)  Thursday, 08 January 2015 @ 03:45 PM ICT (Read 5635 times)  

OK,
I was going to buy a Honda CB500X tomorrow in Bangkok at Bigwing.
I called to go over everything with the guys there.
They said make sure you have passport, visa and WORK PERMIT.
I told them I was retired and have a valid retirement visa. They said it is Honda Bigwings policy not to sell motorcycles to "foreign people" without a work permit.

Has anyone else run into this? Sort of a let down. In all my searching and research on the internet I have never seen this information posted anywhere.
Thanks in advance for any info.

JamesWest

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: JamesWest (offline)  Thursday, 08 January 2015 @ 05:17 PM ICT  

following up on this, after I emailed everyone at Honda Bigwing they said they I can use a "letter of residence" instead of a work permit.

No apology for wrong information. It almost cost them the sale and pushed my schedule back two days. I know they don't care, I get that.

to be honest I still don't know what other problems I will run into trying to buy the bike. I had to go to immigration twice to get the letter of residence.

I am still not sure how I will receive the license plates and other paperwork, all they could say is the plates come in a month.

so i will just take a deep breath and try to go with the flow here in Thailand.

somtimes things are easy and sometimes things are really really hard.

JamesWest

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Anonymous: Mark ()  Thursday, 08 January 2015 @ 10:06 PM ICT  

Hi,
as usual,incompetence and sheer lack of understanding of the situation is the culprit here.
A few months ago,I was thinking about buying the exact same motorcycle in Udon Thani.

I did not have a work permit and it did not bother anyone there.
If you can buy a small motorcycle without a work permit,there is no reason you should not be able to buy a gig one.

Retired people in Phuket are buying BMWs and Ferrarris without work permit.s....so why not Honda CBX ? does not make any sense at all.....

I am certain it is incompetence or the wrong understanding of law that led them to make such a statement. Even so,try Pattaya,Phuket,Khon kaen or Udon Thani. I'm sure they will be happy to sell you one. All you need is to present them with a permanent adress in Thailand,with a copy of your landlord's ID card and signature.

Hope this info will be helpful.
Mark

By: news (offline)  Friday, 09 January 2015 @ 08:12 AM ICT  

I have the idea that some sales people at motorcycle dealers (yes, it's not only at Honda dealers) mix / mess up the requirements for buying a motor vehicle in Thailand.

The work permit is only required if you want to finance the motorcycle, but financing is for the average foreigner not easy to obtain anyway. The only legal requirement is that you bring your passport with a valid visa (visa on arrival is sometimes refused), you need a letter of residence from either from your countries embassy or from the immigration police...

I can understand that most dealers want to sell motorcycles with financing as that brings extra profit for the dealer.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Anonymous ()  Saturday, 10 January 2015 @ 07:25 PM ICT  

Quote by: JamesWest

following up on this, after I emailed everyone at Honda Bigwing they said they I can use a "letter of residence" instead of a work permit.

No apology for wrong information. It almost cost them the sale and pushed my schedule back two days. I know they don't care, I get that.

to be honest I still don't know what other problems I will run into trying to buy the bike. I had to go to immigration twice to get the letter of residence.

I am still not sure how I will receive the license plates and other paperwork, all they could say is the plates come in a month.

so i will just take a deep breath and try to go with the flow here in Thailand.

somtimes things are easy and sometimes things are really really hard.

Do you really bring your money to them and reward them???

By: Anonymous: charlie stone ()  Monday, 19 January 2015 @ 05:34 PM ICT  

I purchased from Big wing a PCX 150 late august 2014. I had no issues with the sale and I also have a retirement visa. There were documents required as you are aware. Plates come later part of the process.
However I have had some problems with servicing and repairs. There is a fault with this model and I don't know why anyone tightens oil filler caps with pliers or sprays a lubricant on a dry centrifugal type clutch.
PCX have a fault which has been acknowledged by Honda and instructions have been given to dealerships to rectify. I won't go in to anymore details but I will say this I wont deal with Big Wing anymore for many reasons but mainly for fear I may get arrested. Try Chiang Moi Rd. I did, so far so good.

By: news (offline)  Monday, 19 January 2015 @ 07:49 PM ICT  

Quote by: charlie stone

I purchased from Big wing a PCX 150 late august 2014. I had no issues with the sale and I also have a retirement visa. There were documents required as you are aware. Plates come later part of the process.
However I have had some problems with servicing and repairs. There is a fault with this model and I don't know why anyone tightens oil filler caps with pliers or sprays a lubricant on a dry centrifugal type clutch.
PCX have a fault which has been acknowledged by Honda and instructions have been given to dealerships to rectify. I won't go in to anymore details but I will say this I wont deal with Big Wing anymore for many reasons but mainly for fear I may get arrested. Try Chiang Moi Rd. I did, so far so good.

I’m confused because Honda Big Wing doesn’t sell any motorcycle smaller than 500cc, scooters, and small bikes are sold by regular Honda dealers…

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: surinlad52 (offline)  Thursday, 29 January 2015 @ 12:56 PM ICT  

Quote by: news

Quote by: charlie stone

I’m confused because Honda Big Wing doesn’t sell any motorcycle smaller than 500cc, scooters, and small bikes are sold by regular Honda dealers…

i recently dropped by a Honda dealer near the privaet hospital,here in Surin. to inquire about purchasing a new CB500X.
On the shop floor were 4 CB300's and a CB 650. The reply from the the salesperson was, and i quote"Farang go Korat"
End of conversation. Suffice to say,i am off to Ubon to buy a new Suzuki V Storm 650XT

surinlad52

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: news (offline)  Thursday, 29 January 2015 @ 01:51 PM ICT  

Amazing that a sales person says “Farang go Korat”, I probably had laugh my pants off... But it's good to know that your Suzuki V-Strom 650XT is the better machine. The only reason somebody should buy a Honda CB500X is budget or living in busy Bangkok where the smaller CB500X give's just that little bit more space to get around in traffic.

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: surinlad52 (offline)  Thursday, 29 January 2015 @ 03:18 PM ICT  

Quote by: news

Amazing that a sales person says “Farang go Korat”, I probably had laugh my pants off... But it's good to know that your Suzuki V-Strom 650XT is the better machine. The only reason somebody should buy a Honda CB500X is budget or living in busy Bangkok where the smaller CB500X give's just that little bit more space to get around in traffic.

My wife was with me and i had to restrain her from giving the saleswoman a piece of her mind.
My interest in the CB500x was that i was hoping to buy a bike in Surin. And not having to take a 400km round trip for servicing.
Honda have lost my business. I agree with your comments about the Honda.
I am looking forward to my trip to Ubon!!!!

surinlad52

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: Johan ()  Thursday, 29 January 2015 @ 05:34 PM ICT  

He: surinlad52,

The Kawasaki Versys 650, for 323,000 Baht, is also a good option... especially now that they have upgraded the suspension and tweaked it a bit more.

By: surinlad52 (offline)  Thursday, 29 January 2015 @ 05:38 PM ICT  

Quote by: Johan

He: surinlad52,

The Kawasaki Versys 650, for 323,000 Baht, is also a good option... especially now that they have upgraded the suspension and tweaked it a bit more.

Not interested in the Kawasaki,thanks for your comment!!

surinlad52

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: Morten ()  Thursday, 26 March 2015 @ 10:43 PM ICT  

I still recall the agony from buying a CBR150 in pattaya 8 years ago
I hold a permanent thai recidency permit....and it still took over 18 months to get the registration for the bike.

Not from bigbikes - just a regular official Honda dealer. Total PITA
M

By: Anonymous: Manfred Rueger ()  Thursday, 19 November 2015 @ 03:15 PM ICT  

Since 18 years in Bangkok I never had any problems in registering motorbike / car under my name. Got registration in not more than 4 weeks. Have Permanent Residence and therefore also House Registration.

By: Anonymous: Anonymouse ()  Monday, 22 February 2016 @ 08:39 PM ICT  

If you have ANY chance, just AVOID HONDA BIG WING ... it is the worst shop I have ever been.

some of the staff are friendly but at least they want to SALE bikes...dont expect any service or help from them later.

Its also true that they do not like CASH payments....they want to make money on financing the bike and hope the buyer can not pay anymore and take it back than.

Try to Email them and you will NEVER get any answer, at least not in Phuket where the service is so terrible bad I never experienced something like it before... The problem is there is not much competition there, so they can do what they want to do.

Also its very sad that in a shop like this the English of the staff is often so poor. At least people are making money because there are foreigners coming to the island and EVERYBODY on Phuket is living out of it..directly or indirect.....the problem is they will never understand it before the last tourist is gone and there is no work anymore.....unfortunately it will take some time...

There are better HONDA dealers in Bangkok and up North

17 posts :: Page 1 of 2
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association