By: HondaWetDream (offline)  Sunday, 07 December 2014 @ 10:53 PM ICT (Read 2063 times)  

HI all,

I have no intention of going 'interstate' on my bike in Thailand. So my only objective is to optimize for the capital; frequently slaloming traffic, occasionally flooring it on a long straight when the traffic's low late at night, say. So a Honda Click isn't the answer as the small wheels aren't up to the speed bumps and cracks. But on the other hand something like a CBR250 is in my opinion too heavy and wide for the slaloming.

So I'm considering the old, narrow CBR150 as many have said it's one of the best bikes for this balance. But since moving to a soi with loads of speed bumps, I even suspect a more off-road/downhill type model is perhaps more accurate. What are the drawbacks of owning, say, something from the Honda XR series. Are they awkward to maintain as parts are not as easy to find at Honda garages? Also I feel the Honda Sonic deserves a mention as it looks like a cross between a moped and a trial bike to me.

Any thoughts appreciated.

HondaWetDream

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: news (offline)  Monday, 08 December 2014 @ 06:48 AM ICT  

Basically the best two-wheeler for heavy city traffic is undoubtedly a scooter, or a cub-style motorcycle (like the Honda Wave).

But I have the idea that you're looking for something with a bit more kick, and how impossible as it sounds sometimes traffic in Bangkok is not that bad, therefore I agree with you that a Honda CBR150R is a good choice. You should also consider the Honda CRF250M, the Honda motard can make amazing turns...

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: HondaWetDream (offline)  Monday, 08 December 2014 @ 11:54 AM ICT  

Yeah agreed, for the heavy traffic the scooters win out. I'm just getting a little tired of reading the road carefully on my Click. On something with some more substantial tyres I could go over pot holes, cracks and speed bumps with a little more comfort.

What are the considerations about buying new versus used for something like a CRF250M? What sort of price do they come in at new from a dealer?

HondaWetDream

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Anonymous: Morass ()  Sunday, 14 December 2014 @ 10:08 AM ICT  

I think the best bike would have an oxygen tank for when your riding behind the bus, cow bars on the front and some kind of cloaking device that makes the cops think your a local.
However If you can't find one of those, I've gotta recommend the Honda CRF250X. I have a rental I'm using here in BKK and while I only have a couple of days under my belt I think it was the perfect choice for the environment. It's big enough that you can run over humps and even curbs without much concern, its narrow enough that you can split lanes with ease. Its long and tall frame is a definite advantage in terms of visibility, but does put your mirrors at the perfect height to clip SUV and Truck mirrors when your doing the slalom, it's length does make for a wider turning circle than any moped, but no worse than a sport bike.
Enough power when you want to open her up or just jump ahead of the pack.

Your mileage may vary...

Darren

By: Anonymous: Bob ()  Sunday, 14 December 2014 @ 08:17 PM ICT  

Quote by: Morass

I think the best bike would have an oxygen tank for when your riding behind the bus, cow bars on the front and some kind of cloaking device that makes the cops think your a local.
However If you can't find one of those, I've gotta recommend the Honda CRF250X. I have a rental I'm using here in BKK and while I only have a couple of days under my belt I think it was the perfect choice for the environment. It's big enough that you can run over humps and even curbs without much concern, its narrow enough that you can split lanes with ease. Its long and tall frame is a definite advantage in terms of visibility, but does put your mirrors at the perfect height to clip SUV and Truck mirrors when your doing the slalom, it's length does make for a wider turning circle than any moped, but no worse than a sport bike.
Enough power when you want to open her up or just jump ahead of the pack.

Your mileage may vary...

Darren

The Honda CRF250X is not sold in Thailand, maybe you mean the Honda CRF250L?

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association