By: Anonymous: Dwain ()  Wednesday, 15 January 2014 @ 09:16 PM ICT (Read 2952 times)  

Hi all. I have a Thai drivers license for private car (images of various private vehicle at the back). Does this mean I have to apply for a separate drivers license for motorcycle or is this valid for both motorbikes and cars? Also, I am considering buying a motorbike (Honda Click 125i) and according to the Honda dealer in Ladprao, it will take about a month to get my plate and green book. The seller said that I can still drive the motorbike without a plate as long as I keep the sales document. For some reason they don't issue red plates and I've seen some motorbikes on the road with out plates. What are your thoughts on this? Would it be a problem if I get flagged by the police but with proof that its newly bought?

By: Anonymous: Red Ride ()  Thursday, 16 January 2014 @ 07:35 AM ICT  

Yes, You need a separate driving license for motorbikes,. I carry 2 one for cars and one for motorbikes

Yes, Just carry a bill of sale. 15 new bikes in the last 2 years, never been asked about anything. But good luck on getting the book and plate within 1 month. Last few have been 10 months.

By: Anonymous: Dwain ()  Thursday, 16 January 2014 @ 10:14 AM ICT  

Thanks for the response. I shall find the time to apply for a motorbike license. I wonder what the reasons are for issuing out plates as long as 10 months.

By: Anonymous: Chang Noi ()  Thursday, 16 January 2014 @ 03:30 PM ICT  

Well there has been an issue with the production of the new type of license-plate, but actually the "Department of Land Transport" can issue a green-book and license-plate within 1 week. That is IF you have all the correct documents and that is where for some money reason is the problem.

But actually I did ride my new motorbike without license plate for 3000 km in all Thailand, passed many police road blocks and nobody even cares about it.

By: Anonymous: Dwain ()  Sunday, 19 January 2014 @ 07:56 PM ICT  

I got all my paper work ready, but I do not have a motorbike. I was looking around on various sites and it seems like everyone brings their own bike to do the test. Will there be a test bike and helmet available for those without a bike? And if there will be, will there be an automatic one as I only know how to ride and automatic bike.

By: news (offline)  Sunday, 19 January 2014 @ 08:31 PM ICT  

Quote by: Dwain

I got all my paper work ready, but I do not have a motorbike. I was looking around on various sites and it seems like everyone brings their own bike to do the test. Will there be a test bike and helmet available for those without a bike? And if there will be, will there be an automatic one as I only know how to ride and automatic bike.

You can ask a motorcycle taxi near the Department of Land Transport Office, it will cost you a few hundred Baht but you have a motorcycle to do the test...

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Dwain ()  Monday, 20 January 2014 @ 11:02 AM ICT  

Just an FYI. For those who are trying to apply for licenses, the main branch near Mochit is closed. Went there this morning and cops told me to apply in other branches. So I went to the branch next to Sukhumvit 99. Wasn't able to get my license either as the queue was all fully booked for days. Must call in advance and do a booking. Im guessing all other branches will face similar problems due to main office closing. I do not have any more time to apply for a license due to work, so I guess I'll have to try again sometime end of next month.

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association