20 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Anonymous: David ()  Saturday, 28 September 2013 @ 10:37 AM ICT (Read 8910 times)  

There is talk on another bike forum that Kawasaki will be making their KLR650 available to us living here in Thailand!
Apparently Kawasaki have a fuel injected motor for the KLR.
Is it just a matter of 'when' and 'how much'?

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 28 September 2013 @ 11:37 AM ICT  

The official feedback we get from Kawasaki is that the 2014 model of the KLR650 is still equipped with a Keihin CVK40 carburetor. This information is also confirmed by our contact at Keihin Thailand.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: David ()  Saturday, 28 September 2013 @ 12:58 PM ICT  

Ok, but what about the main rumour about the KLR (carby or fuel injected) becoming available in Thailand?
Any stories?

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 28 September 2013 @ 01:46 PM ICT  

We believe, that the reason why Kawasaki Thailand didn't introduced the KLR650 on the Thai market a few years ago is still valid today.

The Kawasaki KLR650 seat height (890mm or 35 inch) is to high for most Thai potential buyers, compared to 845mm for a Kawasaki Versys and 805mm for a Kawasaki ER6N.

Another aspect is that Kawasaki Thailand would need to invest a good amount of money to sell the KLR650 price technical competitive in Thailand. They have to re-negotiate with BOI, and setup another production line for domestic production. The current production of the KLR650 is done fully bonded warehouse, what basically means that if Kawasaki wants to sell products from the current production line they have to import the motorcycles (pay the high import duty and taxes).

Kawasaki Thailand didn't confirm or denied the rumors of the Kawasaki KLR650, but that is normal practice for motorcycle manufacturers in Thailand.

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 28 September 2013 @ 01:56 PM ICT  

I can remember a study, I believe from Honda, a few years back about the impact of the seat height and sales figures. While I cannot remember the whole report one thing that I remember is that a seat height over 850mm would only be bought by 8 percent of the target market in Thailand.

The Kawasaki KLR650 is already a niche market, and from the 100 potential buyers only 8 will actually put down money...To sell a motorcycle like the KLR650 Kawasaki needs to sell around 8,000 to 10,000 motorcycles to make profit,.I not see how they can do that....

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: Bruce ()  Saturday, 28 September 2013 @ 03:21 PM ICT  

Hmmm, Kawasaki KLX250 seat height is 890mm!!!!

But thanks for your detailed reply.

The reason Kawa marketing claimed that the KLR can not be sold in Thailand is because (they say) it can not pass the emission laws here. So I am wondering if they have addressed those issues, with either a fuel injected engine (which has been made according to a Kawa salesman) or by more efficient breathing and exhaust.

All interesting speculation.

Personally, I think it would sell well here and hope it becomes available.

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 28 September 2013 @ 04:31 PM ICT  

Quote by: Bruce

Hmmm, Kawasaki KLX250 seat height is 890mm!!!!

But thanks for your detailed reply.

The reason Kawa marketing claimed that the KLR can not be sold in Thailand is because (they say) it can not pass the emission laws here. So I am wondering if they have addressed those issues, with either a fuel injected engine (which has been made according to a Kawa salesman) or by more efficient breathing and exhaust.

All interesting speculation.

Personally, I think it would sell well here and hope it becomes available.

It's not true that the Kawasaki KLR650 cannot pass Thai emission testing, Red Baron in Bangkok currently sells a KLR650 which comes with official greenbook (Thai registration).

The 2014 Kawasaki KLR650 is just being launched in the USA, and you can find the latest “2014” specs here www.kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=14&id=756

The specs clear specify a Keihin CVK40 carburetor, which is the same as the 2013 model.

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: David ()  Saturday, 28 September 2013 @ 05:34 PM ICT  

"We asked Kawasaki Thailand and had not reply, we asked Kawasaki HQ for reaction and nothing... Kawasaki Thai sales people seem too scare people away with, the words that the Kawasaki KLR650 doesn't meet Thai emission standards, but when we asked a Official if he could check for a Kawasaki KLR650 he confirmed that several where legally on the road in Thailand. With two of the latest of this Kawasaki KLR650 motorcycles qualifying for the Thai emission test. "

For more about the Kawasaki KLR650 you can read the full article at The Kawasaki KLR650 is even Better Prepared for All-Round Fun.

The 2014 model should be 'clean' and it seems that emissions are not an issue, so it seems to be a matter of;

a) seat height (yet the 890mm KLX is a big seller in Thailand.

b) marketing niche (talking around the clubs etc I hear that it is in demand) but is it worth their effort to make it available here.

HOPE SO.

By: news (offline)  Monday, 30 September 2013 @ 08:57 AM ICT  

The Kawasaki KLR650 won the 'Adventure on the Cheap' 2013 comparison from an international magazine. In a continuation if its winning ways, the legendary Kawasaki KLR650 dual purpose adventure bike has scored another shootout victory! This time, taking the overall win in the 'Adventure on the Cheap' comparison, where it defeated the Husqvarna Terra, Suzuki DR650SE, and the Honda XR650L.

Here are a few headlines from what is written in the international motorcycling press about the Kawasaki KLR650:

“...the KLR can be anything you want it to be.”

“With the 6.1-gallon tank and wind protection, adventure bike guys fell in love with
it, and a wealth of aftermarket parts were developed for them.”

“As far as range is concerned, the Kawasaki destroys the other three. ...the
Kawasaki can be the tanker for the others. ...you still have to plan your trip around
gas stops—or have a Kawasaki nearby.”

“Where they’re meant to shine is on long, continent-crossing adventures, and that’s
where the Kawasaki really struts its stuff. Two things give it a huge advantage the
massive tank and the frame-mounted fairing.”

“Any time the speeds get over 50 mph on the dirt or on the street, the Kawasaki
rider can sit back in total comfort while the other three battle the wind.”

“When you look at the overall value, the Kawasaki becomes even more stunning.”

“...you almost have to have one if you’re a hardcore adventure rider.”

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: David ()  Monday, 30 September 2013 @ 10:06 AM ICT  

Come on Kawasaki Thailand; don't continue deny us. Wave

By: news (offline)  Tuesday, 01 October 2013 @ 10:26 AM ICT  

Lets have a vote on the Kawasaki KLR650, and lets do this seriously (we will look at the IP address of every vote):

I want a Kawasaki KLR650

•  Yes, I want to buy a KLR650
  •  Yes, buy but only if the price is right
  •  No, the Kawasaki KLR650 is ancient
  •  No, the Kawaski KLR650 is not my style
  •  No, the Kawasaki KLR650 is just to heigh
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 30 votes | 0 Comments

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: David ()  Tuesday, 01 October 2013 @ 12:30 PM ICT  

Good idea guys; well done.

By: Anonymous: David ()  Tuesday, 01 October 2013 @ 07:04 PM ICT  

1 why does your poll have a reference to 'seat height' twice?

2 do you think Kawasaki Marketing will see this?

By: Anonymous: David ()  Friday, 04 October 2013 @ 07:39 PM ICT  

Two friends each bought new Versys this week, which was their second choice to a KLR!
Each plan to ride SE Asia in November.

By: news (offline)  Friday, 04 October 2013 @ 08:51 PM ICT  

Quote by: David

Two friends each bought new Versys this week, which was their second choice to a KLR!
Each plan to ride SE Asia in November.

Hello David,

Until now we have 9 votes, of which 8 are only interested if the Kawasaki KLR650 is cheaper than the Kawasaki Versys 650. We also should not forget that a percentage of the 9 people who voted to buy a KLR650 would not commit after they seen the motorcycle in real

For riding Southeast Asia the Kawasaki Versys (650) is for the region also the smarter choice, as in most SE Asian countries they have Kawasaki Versys/ER6N parts available while only Malaysia has the KLR650 motorcycle (and parts) available

news

Group Comfort
Level:

20 posts :: Page 1 of 2
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association