By: news (offline)  Monday, 20 May 2013 @ 03:46 PM ICT (Read 4119 times)  

With the introduction of E20 fuel (fuel that contains up to 20% Ethanol) can we expect similar problems we had when petrol stations introduced E10 gasohol fuel (fuel that contains up to 10% Ethanol).

Some people say that E20 fuel can even corrode aluminum parts of the engine, including the throttle body of modern motorcycles, while E10 or gasohol was only damaging the rubber and plastic parts of our motorcycles.

So how many scooters and motorcycles are available in Thailand that actual can use E20 fuel?

Click on image to open

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: aLx (offline)  Tuesday, 21 May 2013 @ 01:29 PM ICT  

This is interesting. They are not phasing out the E10 are they? As long as we have a choice, that's not a problem. From where I'm from(Philippines), we are still using unleaded gasoline. So I don't have any experience using gasohol. Looks like motorcycle here using E10 are all running well and okay anyway.

aLx

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: news (offline)  Tuesday, 21 May 2013 @ 05:28 PM ICT  

I not believe that E20 fuel will replace gasohol (E10) fuel any time soon. As I said before, the present of 20% Ethanol has a corrosive effect on several metal parts (including aluminum), and while plastic and rubber can be created with the use of inhibitors to resist the effect of gasohol (E10), creating plastics and rubber parts that can resist the effects of E20 (20% Ethanol) is much more difficult.

And in this case, like most other cases, difficult is equal to expensive... Expensive for vehicles used daily by people depending on it as only transport is not a positive thing.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: aLx (offline)  Wednesday, 22 May 2013 @ 11:53 AM ICT  

I believe E20 will be more cheaper than E10. They should just give time so that the manufacturers can create an E20 adapted engines.

aLx

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Anonymous: Thew ()  Wednesday, 29 May 2013 @ 05:36 AM ICT  

Currently, no motorcycles or scooters is truly E20 ready. For a motorcycle or scoot to be truly E20 (20% Ethanol) ready the inner parts of the fueling system has to be electroplated with a metal (like chrome) that will not be effected by ethanol corrosion..

By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Sunday, 09 June 2013 @ 06:52 AM ICT  

ALL new Honda's in Thailand ARE E20 ready and it clearly says that in the owners manual

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association