10 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Anonymous: Bell ()  Monday, 21 May 2012 @ 04:00 PM ICT (Read 9507 times)  

Does anybody know what the standard tyres of the Honda PCX 150 are?

By: news (offline)  Monday, 21 May 2012 @ 04:48 PM ICT  

If you buy the Honda PCX150i in Thailand it comes with IRC SS-560F tires, other tires possible 'depending which country you from' you can also get Dunlop TT900A tires.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Big Guy (offline)  Tuesday, 22 May 2012 @ 10:34 PM ICT  

I am disgusted to report that I went down on my PCX a few days ago. I am grateful that it happened at uber slow speed on a smooth surface and that the bike has only a few scratches that a little sandpaper and paint will take care of.

My knee is not as lucky. Lost some skin and it's blue and swollen but fortunately nothing is broken.

I blame the IRC tyres which are brand new with all of 200 kms on them. The Honda dealer just replaced them on my two year old PCX with 14,000kms on it. They were at the correct pressure and scuffed in by the 200kms. They are the best they will ever be and they are garbage in my opinion, but that's all that the dealer had available. I was willing to pay whatever to put better rubber on the bike but that was all they had and I couldn't find any other shop in Chiang Mai with the correct size tyres.

Some background: This is the first time that I've been down on a bike since a bad one in 1977. That's 35 years of accident free riding on everything from a Honda 65 Cub to an Electra Glide. I think that qualifies me as an experienced and cautious rider.

I blame those damned IRC tyres with their bald tread pattern and hard compound set for mileage rather than grip. I was at HomePro where the parking lot is smooth concrete, and I mean smooth. I've felt the rear tire slip there before only a few inches, so I was careful. I didn't lean it over too much. I didn't accelerate. I was going at a walking speed and turned the corner out of a parking row and down I went.

Honda Dream and Click scooters do just fine on this smooth concrete with their thin tyres, I believe because of their tread pattern and softer rubber compound.

There must be better tyres available for the PCX. After two years you would think that Honda would have realized the IRC factory rubber leaves much to be desired.

There. I feel much better now.

Big Guy

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: Windy ()  Wednesday, 23 May 2012 @ 06:31 PM ICT  

I bought my PCX 150 about a month ago at Kranuan, Khon Kaen, and it came standard with Dunlop TT900A tires.

By: Richard (offline)  Wednesday, 23 May 2012 @ 06:36 PM ICT  

Quote by: Windy

I bought my PCX 150 about a month ago at Kranuan, Khon Kaen, and it came standard with Dunlop TT900A tires.

Not sure if all Honda PCX150i in Thailand are equipped with Dunlop TT900A tires, but I can tell the Dunlop's are surely a good amount better than the IRC's

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: David ()  Thursday, 24 May 2012 @ 05:35 PM ICT  

" at uber slow speed "

What does 'uber' mean?
I can't find it in any English language dictionary.

By: Big Guy (offline)  Thursday, 24 May 2012 @ 06:32 PM ICT  

Uber = "Very" or "Super" as in I was going at super slow speed so the tyres losing their grip wasn't about my recklessness.

It's colloquial English slang with roots in German where it means "above".

Perhaps I'm misusing the word in an effort to be younger and uber hip?

It doesn't matter though: the IRC tyres are still garbage!

:-)

Big Guy

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: andyc (offline)  Monday, 28 May 2012 @ 05:44 PM ICT  

Quote by: Big Guy

I am disgusted to report that I went down on my PCX a few days ago. I am grateful that it happened at uber slow speed on a smooth surface and that the bike has only a few scratches that a little sandpaper and paint will take care of.

My knee is not as lucky. Lost some skin and it's blue and swollen but fortunately nothing is broken.

I blame the IRC tyres which are brand new with all of 200 kms on them. The Honda dealer just replaced them on my two year old PCX with 14,000kms on it. They were at the correct pressure and scuffed in by the 200kms. They are the best they will ever be and they are garbage in my opinion, but that's all that the dealer had available. I was willing to pay whatever to put better rubber on the bike but that was all they had and I couldn't find any other shop in Chiang Mai with the correct size tyres.

Some background: This is the first time that I've been down on a bike since a bad one in 1977. That's 35 years of accident free riding on everything from a Honda 65 Cub to an Electra Glide. I think that qualifies me as an experienced and cautious rider.

I blame those damned IRC tyres with their bald tread pattern and hard compound set for mileage rather than grip. I was at HomePro where the parking lot is smooth concrete, and I mean smooth. I've felt the rear tire slip there before only a few inches, so I was careful. I didn't lean it over too much. I didn't accelerate. I was going at a walking speed and turned the corner out of a parking row and down I went.

Honda Dream and Click scooters do just fine on this smooth concrete with their thin tyres, I believe because of their tread pattern and softer rubber compound.

Big Guy i changed my rear tire at 10000k, to which it couldnt handle that good anymore, my friend changed at 12000k it was bald, it depends what roads and riding, I agree the IRV is not that good but in dry weather its ok i find, but if i had a choice where i live i would change the brand, good to see you are ok no broken bones.

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: andyc (offline)  Wednesday, 06 June 2012 @ 01:28 PM ICT  

Quote by: andyc

Quote by: Big Guy

Big Guy i changed my rear tire at 10000k, to which it couldnt handle that good anymore, my friend changed at 12000k it was bald, it depends what roads and riding, I agree the IRV is not that good but in dry weather its ok i find, but if i had a choice where i live i would change the brand, good to see you are ok no broken bones.

Hello i know this has been covered before,anybody have the correct price for Honda Pcx rear tire,Im out of the country at moment just had a bill for 1300BHT with fitting at Honda for one of my PCX 125.any clues on the rough cost as i paid less than that a little while ago.

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Anonymous: David ()  Friday, 08 June 2012 @ 04:21 PM ICT  

I have just now read on 'RideAsia' that AP Honda are recalling the Dunlop tyres fitted to PCX150i.

" A couple of mates who ride the new 150i just phoned me to say they have a letter from AP Honda asking them to ride their bike to the nearest dealer for an instant exchange of their Dunlop tyre, which apparently was not manufactured correctly and can become dangerous.

One mate said the relevant VIN numbers are MLHKF 128C 5000001 to MLHKF 128C 500007400.

Posted here just in case 150i owners here did not receive the letter. "

10 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association