By: Anonymous: Keith ()  Monday, 28 November 2011 @ 06:27 AM ICT (Read 1401 times)  

A very quick question for you technical guys, sadly it's only about cosmetics. My two-year old Suzuki GSX-R1000 still looks pretty good, but for some reason the bits of black plastic such as the mirrors and around the undertray never seems to come up clean. I've tried using all sorts of cleaning products, but I think if anything it probably just made them greyer. I'm not up for any of these Black-to-Black bumper products because they're so messy. I had even got to the point where I thought I might paint them black myself unless some of you have a better idea.

By: Anonymous: SD ()  Monday, 28 November 2011 @ 03:58 PM ICT  

Quote by: Keith

A very quick question for you technical guys, sadly it's only about cosmetics. My two-year old Suzuki GSX-R1000 still looks pretty good, but for some reason the bits of black plastic such as the mirrors and around the undertray never seems to come up clean. I've tried using all sorts of cleaning products, but I think if anything it probably just made them greyer. I'm not up for any of these Black-to-Black bumper products because they're so messy. I had even got to the point where I thought I might paint them black myself unless some of you have a better idea.

My brother had a Black and Red 750 Gixxer

It started to look dull after a few years, he rode it a lot and only washed it (never polished it)

All the fairings came up like new when he took them off and has then professionally polished and buffed

The plastic parts (mirrors, dash etc) looked really faded and "grey"

The nornal "Armour All" products only fixed the problem short term

After a while he removed the black plastic parts and he repainted them

BUT he repainted them in "heat resistant" spray paint (like your exhaust header paint)...he said it was the right "matt gloss" and would tolerated the sun temp better...

He was right about the "matt gloss" it looked original

I am not sure re the temp and fading bit but he sold them bike 2 years later and the black platic bits were still looked like new.

Only problem is it all equires you to pull the bike down, which is a bit of a pain

Cheers

SD

2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association