By: Anonymous: Country Rob ()  Thursday, 24 November 2011 @ 08:11 AM ICT (Read 1956 times)  

I just picked up a clean, used BMW R1200GS and love it. But after a month or so of exploring the northeast Thai roads – on and off the pavement – there's only one problem. I love riding at night, but the stock lights don't illuminate things up ahead nearly as well as I'd like – nothing like the setup on my 4x4 Toyota Hilux Vigo, which wears a pair of Hella Model 500 lights on its roof. I'd like something similar for the BMW R1200GS.

Hopefully something more compact, which probably means an HID setup. Most of the kits I've seen aren't exactly cheap, but I don't mind spending a few thousand baht to really see where I'm going, Can't steer around what I can't see, you know? Most of the locals seem to travel on small scooters, or four wheels where IO ride, especially after dark. Hitting something on two wheels is bad enough. You don't want to know what a motorcycle looks like after slamming into 500 kilogram of sleepwalking water-buffalo. Don't ask how I know. Any wisdom anybody can pass along would be sincerely appreciated and scrupulously applied.

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Thursday, 24 November 2011 @ 02:34 PM ICT  

Truth: New lights are a whole lot cheaper than a new BMW GS. Especially considering those roving impediments to nocturnal travel. You're on the right track. Nothing bores a bigger, better hole into some dark Thai rural nights than a first rate set of HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights. The net result is more usable light on the road from smaller, more efficient lamps; most auxiliary HID systems mount a small lamp on either side of the motorcycle.

We asked a friend, an expert in the repair , restoration and enhancement of any BMW built motorcycle in the last 40 years, to shed a little light on the subject. 'The GS electrical system is easily compatible with the draw of the HID setup, along with all popular lighting systems currently offered,' he says, 'Quality is always the key. That old saying about getting what you pay for is very true in this regard. Good quality HID systems offer superior lighting and a very manageable current draw – both good things for the gadget junkie. The only drawback has been limited space, but that has been addressed with recent motorcycle-specific designs.

We also seen BMW owners who mounted a two-lights ATV HID lighting systems on a tubular construction around the engine. For example look at Warn W400XT-H.I.D. ATV Driving Light

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: SD ()  Thursday, 24 November 2011 @ 08:40 PM ICT  

Quote by: Country Rob

I just picked up a clean, used BMW R1200GS and love it. But after a month or so of exploring the northeast Thai roads – on and off the pavement – there's only one problem. I love riding at night, but the stock lights don't illuminate things up ahead nearly as well as I'd like – nothing like the setup on my 4x4 Toyota Hilux Vigo, which wears a pair of Hella Model 500 lights on its roof. I'd like something similar for the BMW R1200GS.

Hopefully something more compact, which probably means an HID setup. Most of the kits I've seen aren't exactly cheap, but I don't mind spending a few thousand baht to really see where I'm going, Can't steer around what I can't see, you know? Most of the locals seem to travel on small scooters, or four wheels where IO ride, especially after dark. Hitting something on two wheels is bad enough. You don't want to know what a motorcycle looks like after slamming into 500 kilogram of sleepwalking water-buffalo. Don't ask how I know. Any wisdom anybody can pass along would be sincerely appreciated and scrupulously applied.

A HID Xenon Kit is the way to go

Mine cost $200 (ultra slim ballasts) so they can fit

H7 x 55w x 600k

If animals are you main concern you need to look seriously at ShuRoos (made in Aust) - Google them and have a look

We used them on our LMV's in our mining fleet in the Aust Outback and they work VERY WELL

EVERY animal (not just Kangaroo's) ran like hell when the vehicle drove along

The high frequency sound the electric speaker emit is hardly noticeable to a human, but it drives animals crazy

A simple HID Xenon Kit and a set of ShuRoos and you will be set for a higher level of safer night time riding.

Cheers

SD

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association