By: Anonymous: Carry ()  Wednesday, 09 November 2011 @ 05:59 PM ICT (Read 2772 times)  

I'm an avid motorcyclist, and although I've had to make do with small-capacity, Thai-made engines so far, I have no real complaints. I mean, how fast can you go on Thai roads, anyway? In my opinion, a Honda CBR250R is all the sport/sport-tourer you need in Thailand. It's big enough, extremely comfortable, plenty fast (for our roads), reasonably frugal and very reliable (it's a Honda).

Similarly, you don't need much more than an 125cc if you want a street bike, for a city as Bangkok, on which you can go and attack some corners. A plain vanilla commuter? Look no further than a new Honda CBR150R with PGM-FI, comfortable motorcycle.

Frankly, I don't understand all the fuss about big bikes, or the lack of them, in Thailand. I know it sounds clichéd, but really, where the hell are you going to use them at even a tenth of their potential? I've ridden both racetracks in Thailand and abroad, and there's no way you're going to be able to go flat out even there. Sure, it's fun to ride a big bike every now and then – the sheer sensation of power and speed is admittedly incredible. But get real, guys – we'll never be able to ride big machines here and truly enjoy them, not for the next 5 to 7 years anyway...

And the prices for the big capacity motorcycles in Thailand? Are you …. nuts??? I can buy a very comfortable middle-class car for the same amount of money with air-condition...

By: Anonymous: Justin ()  Wednesday, 09 November 2011 @ 11:07 PM ICT  

Wow, are you serious?

There is a thriving big bike community right here in Bangkok. We ride daily in and out of Bangkok, and we often get to use our bikes to their full potential.
Anyne who knows anything about bikes wouldnt be recommending the CBR 250/150 to anyone.
Big, heavy and seriously underpowered! Great for riding outside of Bangkok if you like being overtaken by all of the cars on the road.
I was riding more powerful 2 stroke 125cc machines when i was 17 years old.

You claim to be an avid motorcyclist, Ive never met an avid rider who has anything nice to say about the CBR125/250.

This is NOT the truth about big bikes in Thailand at all....!
Makes me angry to hear such rubbish.

By: sd1415 (offline)  Thursday, 10 November 2011 @ 02:03 AM ICT  

It really depends on 1. Where you live 2. Where you do the majority of your riding and 3. What the primary purpose is you want from your "bike" (big or small)

I chose my new Ninja 250R over it's two bigger 650 brothers due to the fact that the vast majority of my riding (90%+) would always be commuting and urban blasting from Bang Na to Ekkamai/Thong Lor.

It is smaller and lighter than the 650 models and ideal for the purpose I got it for. Any smaller than a 250 and you are really kidding yourself.

Many have, but I would never even think of taking the Ninja 250R "outside of BKK" on a tour (it hurts my A after 50K and I would have to change the sprocket gearing to stop me looking for 7th gear all the time).

"Big Bikes" (lets say 650+cc) do have a purpose here in Thailand and the outer country areas has some fantastic riding roads for these big bikes.

The biggest problem here in Thailand for big bikes is 1. Cost (except for Kawasaki), 2. Rego/Insurance and last but not least 3. The vast majority of mindless Thai's motorists not following the most basic of traffic rules.

If you can cope with these issues than you can appreciate the thrill of big bike riding to much the same level as most other places.

Cheers

SD

sd1415

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Matty (offline)  Thursday, 10 November 2011 @ 05:34 AM ICT  

If they would allow big bikes on the Tollways / freeways it would make alot more sense to me to ride one here.

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Richard (offline)  Thursday, 10 November 2011 @ 10:26 AM ICT  

I will not call a 250cc the perfect engine capacity for a motorcycle in Thailand, I for all-round affordable motorcycle I will probably look in the 650cc range. But I have to say sometimes I wished my 1000cc class motorcycle was somewhat smaller.

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association