21 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: andyc (offline)  Wednesday, 31 August 2011 @ 05:24 PM ICT (Read 11198 times)  

Please i really want to know now.When you go to the pump i am confused .I have a Honda pcx thats my first worry they say i can use everything to which i found out i cant, when i put 91 one red in im sorry to say it does not run that good at high speed,well the rc 100 i know that is 91 red but what about my Lifian i just bought 250 ,im sorry they have all these new fuels out but in long turn is my bikes damaged for the sake of these petrol companies and goverments want us to use.Please give advice for care of our bikes ,thanks again andy

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 31 August 2011 @ 07:10 PM ICT  

Modern motorcycle like the Honda PCX 125i and the Lifan LF250-B (Custom V250) are capable to use fuels that contain 10% Ethanol, what is most of the gasohol sold in Thailand.

The difference between 91 and 98 fuel is the octane rating. Internal combustion engines are designed to burn gasoline in a controlled process called deflagration. But in some cases, gasoline can also combust abnormally by detonation, which wastes energy and can damage the engine. One way to reduce detonation is to increase the gasoline's resistance to autoignition, which is expressed by its octane rating.

91 RON (Research octane number) is used for low to mid-range performance engines, while 98 RON is used for high performance engines. Using 91 RON fuel in a low performance engine doesn't improve the performance in anyway, matter of fact in most cases the high octane level will prevent perfect combustion.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: andyc (offline)  Thursday, 01 September 2011 @ 07:13 AM ICT  

Quote by: ThaiDesign

Modern motorcycle like the Honda PCX 125i and the Lifan LF250-B (Custom V250) are capable to use fuels that contain 10% Ethanol, what is most of the gasohol sold in Thailand.

The difference between 91 and 98 fuel is the octane rating. Internal combustion engines are designed to burn gasoline in a controlled process called deflagration. But in some cases, gasoline can also combust abnormally by detonation, which wastes energy and can damage the engine. One way to reduce detonation is to increase the gasoline's resistance to autoignition, which is expressed by its octane rating.

91 RON (Research octane number) is used for low to mid-range performance engines, while 98 RON is used for high performance engines. Using 91 RON fuel in a low performance engine doesn't improve the performance in anyway, matter of fact in most cases the high octane level will prevent perfect combustion.

thank you i checked in my book the other day can use e20 for pcx, But for long term and care of the bikes engine i guess what your saying is use the 91, thanks andy

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Thursday, 01 September 2011 @ 09:11 AM ICT  

If your motorcycle is certified to use E20 fuel (20% ethanol), your plastics will be fine. If your motorcycle can use E20 you should only concentrate on the RON number 91 or 98, the basic idea is if you have a sportsbike with high compression ratio 10:1 or higher you should use 98 fuel if below 10:1 use the 91 fuel... (check your manual or ask the dealer).

I'm pretty sure the Lifan LF250-B prefers to use gasohol 91, as it's equipped with a low-compression ratio engine...

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: Anonymous ()  Thursday, 01 September 2011 @ 09:18 AM ICT  

To Thaidesign,

where in Thailand can I get 98 fuel?
Here in CNX I only get 91 benzine or 91 and 95 gasohol.
For 98 if it is benzine I would go miles...

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Thursday, 01 September 2011 @ 10:12 AM ICT  

Quote by: Anonymous

To Thaidesign,

Sorry 98 should be 95. in Thailand if you need anything higher than 95 RON you should use octane enhancers.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: sd ()  Thursday, 01 September 2011 @ 01:39 PM ICT  

Quote by: Anonymous

To Thaidesign,

Sorry 98 should be 95. in Thailand if you need anything higher than 95 RON you should use octane enhancers.

Be careful of those "Octane Booster"

I was as the Bike Expo at Seacon Square recently so I thought I would "try one" (they had a large bottle and a small bottle)...simple enough I thought, must be one for car and one for a bike, after all we are at a bike expo)

That was my first mistake..."assuming" something especially here in Thailand, I should have known better

My Thai reading is crap but I made out was "empty contents into full tank"...simple enough!

Well into a full tank of 91 Benzine she went.

Well **** me...that Ninja was coughing and farting and spitting flames out of the carbon slip on exhaust like a "RUF Porsche on steroids" WTF

After 50kms I had to keep "diluting it" with 91 Benzine "top ups".

I got the empty bottle out of the rubbish and asked my wife to translate the bottle (yes, empty contents into a full tank...I got that part right...BUT I missed that warning part of min 30Lt full tank for this small bottle...Doh

I must have been running 110+ RON or something insane for about 150 kms until I "diluted" it with more 91 Benzine tops ups.

No "ill effects" to the Ninja...But it must of "cleaned the plugs"

I wont be doing that again...Crazy

Cheers

SD

By: Matty (offline)  Thursday, 01 September 2011 @ 03:25 PM ICT  

I remember reading an article in Ausralasian Dirt Bike Magazine a few years ago, They tested and compared about 8 different brands of OCTANE BOOSTER.
Only 2 of the 8 brands did what they claim on the bottle and raized the octane rating of fuel. And it was definately less is more. When they added more than what was recommended on the bottle it actually lowered the octane rating of the fuel. Infact ADB Magazine graphed the performance of the fuel and its highest octane level was achieved with something like 70% of what the maker quoted to add to your fuel.
Its safer and cheaper to buy the high octane (98 ron) fuel from a pump station.
if you want or need more then buy specific racing type fuels.
Matt....

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: SD ()  Thursday, 01 September 2011 @ 03:37 PM ICT  

Quote by: Matty

I remember reading an article in Ausralasian Dirt Bike Magazine a few years ago, They tested and compared about 8 different brands of OCTANE BOOSTER.
Only 2 of the 8 brands did what they claim on the bottle and raized the octane rating of fuel. And it was definately less is more. When they added more than what was recommended on the bottle it actually lowered the octane rating of the fuel. Infact ADB Magazine graphed the performance of the fuel and its highest octane level was achieved with something like 70% of what the maker quoted to add to your fuel.
Matt....

One thing I sure miss (and I am sure many people also miss) here in Thailand is being able to drive into a petrol station and buy whatever type or RON of fuel you want 91 up to good old 98.

I am even starting to get confused with the different fuel "colors" (fuel pump bowser colours, not the actual fuel) between the different companies

Blue, Yellow, Red, Green 91 this and 95 that??? It is like shopping Mall.

One of these days I am sure to fill the Ninja up with diesel by mistake Eek!

By: andyc (offline)  Thursday, 01 September 2011 @ 04:50 PM ICT  

Quote by: SD

Matt....

One thing I sure miss (and I am sure many people also miss) here in Thailand is being able to drive into a petrol station and buy whatever type or RON of fuel you want 91 up to good old 98.

I am even starting to get confused with the different fuel "colors" (fuel pump bowser colours, not the actual fuel) between the different companies

Blue, Yellow, Red, Green 91 this and 95 that??? It is like shopping Mall.

One of these days I am sure to fill the Ninja up with diesel by mistake Eek!

im in the same situation,when i pull in to the big ptt or the big shell i know ,one morning when im tierd the wrong fuel will be going in.The signs outside the pumps will reach the floor soon with the amount of fuels.Bring back the good old days 2 star and 4 star like they had in England

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Matty (offline)  Thursday, 01 September 2011 @ 06:09 PM ICT  

I totally agree, i cant read Thai and get confused what is what at different servo,s ( fuel stations ) Hope somebody can clear up this fuel mess for me.
I usually look for 95 ron and hope it does not contain any of that ethanol crap.
I worry about filling up with diesel too, i always check the face of the attendant guy to see if he looks confused or amused, altho some of them look like that whenever a farang pulls up at a bowser.
If im totally confused / unsure i wait for another bike to pull in and then use the same bowser as him/her just to be safe.
Matt..

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: norman ()  Tuesday, 06 September 2011 @ 09:31 AM ICT  

i drive a silver shadow 750 and use 95 green ..is this ok? and
do i need some the many additiives i see on the supermarket shelves?

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Tuesday, 06 September 2011 @ 09:36 AM ICT  

Quote by: norman

i drive a silver shadow 750 and use 95 green ..is this ok? and
do i need some the many additiives i see on the supermarket shelves?

Your Honda Shadow 750, which has a compression ratio of 9.5:1 should run fine on 91 fuel. I'm not sure if you should/could use Ethanol fuels, you better check that with a manual from your motorcycle (from the correct year).

For your Honda Shadow 750 you not need to add any additives to the fuel... likely by using 91 RON fuel you get a better mileage than with the 95 RON fuel.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:

By: andyc (offline)  Tuesday, 06 September 2011 @ 04:33 PM ICT  

If your motorcycle is certified to use E20 fuel (20% ethanol), your plastics will be fine. If your motorcycle can use E20 you should only concentrate on the RON number 91 or 98, the basic idea is if you have a sportsbike with high compression ratio 10:1 or higher you should use 98 fuel if below 10:1 use the 91 fuel... (check your manual or ask the dealer).

I'm pretty sure the Lifan LF250-B prefers to use gasohol 91, as it's equipped with a low-compression ratio engine...

cheers

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:

By: andyc (offline)  Tuesday, 06 September 2011 @ 04:37 PM ICT  

I totally agree, i cant read Thai and get confused what is what at different servo,s ( fuel stations ) Hope somebody can clear up this fuel mess for me.
I usually look for 95 ron and hope it does not contain any of that ethanol crap.
I worry about filling up with diesel too, i always check the face of the attendant guy to see if he looks confused or amused, altho some of them look like that whenever a farang pulls up at a bowser.
If im totally confused / unsure i wait for another bike to pull in and then use the same bowser as him/her just to be safe.
Matt..

As far as im concered the 95 has ethanol,thats why its cheaper,please advice me anyone if im wrong

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:

21 posts :: Page 1 of 2
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association