By: Anonymous: Donnelly ()  Monday, 20 June 2011 @ 12:19 PM ICT (Read 3974 times)  

I've wanted a lot of things in my life – ocean views from my house, hot women and slick bikes. But nothing comes close to how much I wanted a shot of morphine for those 15 long minutes on the side of the road waiting for an ambulance in screaming agony.

Last month, on the way home my favorite corner and the front wheel came out on the gravel, forcing me underneath my Ducati to be skinned alive.

Now I just want my two toes back. Save yourselves from the worst experience of your lives and wear all the gear.

By: Anonymous: Dan ()  Monday, 20 June 2011 @ 06:02 PM ICT  

Hopefully sharing first-hand experience like yours will go a long way to encouraging people to gear-up, no matter how short or safe the ride may seem.

By: silenzo (offline)  Sunday, 26 June 2011 @ 11:46 AM ICT  

Quote by: Donnelly

I've wanted a lot of things in my life – ocean views from my house, hot women and slick bikes. But nothing comes close to how much I wanted a shot of morphine for those 15 long minutes on the side of the road waiting for an ambulance in screaming agony.

Last month, on the way home my favorite corner and the front wheel came out on the gravel, forcing me underneath my Ducati to be skinned alive.

Now I just want my two toes back. Save yourselves from the worst experience of your lives and wear all the gear.

Thanks for sharing this.
It will encourage people to wear safety gear when ride the motorcycle.

We know that Thailand (and most South East Asia countries) has hot/ warm weather and humid.
That's why, use complete safety gear is like torture for them who ride motorcycle.

But, the risk of not using safety gear is more bigger and painful.
So, choose the right safety gear and comfortable while you ride your bike here.

Cheers

silenzo

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: Nilez ()  Wednesday, 29 June 2011 @ 12:33 AM ICT  

at least wear a helmet, back protector and good pair of boots if you want to be able to move after spill.Then good jacket, pants and gloves if you want to ride away after spill.

By: Anonymous: Sierra Delta ()  Sunday, 10 July 2011 @ 11:14 PM ICT  

Hi Guys
I have been living in SE Asia (Laos and Thailand) now for circa 6 years. 48 yo, been riding now for well over 30+ years, all sizes and all disciplines/ And I have had my fair share of outstanding "offs" over the years.
I have been "lucky" to date, no missing body parts and no long term injuries (just the odd break and crack of a not too serious bone or two)...like I said just "lucky"
BUT every "off" I have had I was wearing the basics of Full Face, Helmet, Gloves, Armour Jacket, Draggin Jeans (usually no Riding Boots just decent H/Duty Leather Shoes/Boots)
One thing I learnt a long time ago back in Aust was ALWAYS WEAR ALL OF THE GEAR, regardless of how "short" the ride is.
The strong Police and laws in Aust help to enfoce this.
I zip around BKK now on a 2011 Ninja 250R (with a carbon s/o pipe for "acoustic safety"
YES, it is tempting to jump on the wifes Mio 125 and just zip down to the 7-11 for some Milk. That short ride for milk could be your last (even if it was not your fault) it doesn't matter...your dead (or permantley "not good" which is the same IMHO)
One of my biggest "pet hates" are the other falangs (even professional expats) here in Thailand (and Laos) that adopt the lazy, slack arse ZERO safety attitude and zip around on their scooters (and bigger bikes) like the local Thai's from the village (with not even a crap Index helmet on). Sorry I forgot to mention "It is their god given right to do what they want blah blah blah" let us not forget that important point shall we...Then when they have an accident and it is the straight to the local Embassy to medivac them home and get the tax payers to pay the 000's of medical costs etc etc (you all know what I am talking about)
Yes it is hot here, damn hot and humid (so is Australia in the summer) I ride from Bang Na to Ekkamai for work, Srinakarin Road is a motoring minefield at the moment (I think it is only a matter of time before I experience an "off" on this f'd up road.
I still wear a full face HPC Helmet, Armour Jacket, Armour Gloves, Draggin Jeans and H/Duty Leather Shoes. I arrive at Ekkamai and get undressed and I look like I have been swimming with my clothes on...I simply take a shower and get dressed for work (15 mins "inconvienience" is better that 15 weeks in ICU etc).
Even if I ride the bike to the movies it is the minimum of Helmet, Jacket, Gloves. (normal jeans and leather shoes)
Like Donnely has said he would love to have his 2 digits back, if you have all yours and want to keep them...LISTEN
Enough said guys, do what you want, but you should not have to LEARN FROM PAIN...Sometimes for somethings it is better to "listen to experience" rather than "experience it for yourself"
Cheers Guys,
SD

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association