By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Sunday, 15 May 2011 @ 02:07 PM ICT (Read 6780 times)  

I live in Chiang Mai. Have been in Thailand riding 8 + years. I am lucky have many bikes both big and small. I ride about 100,000 km a year here.
Have been just about everywhere above Phuket. Just don't want problems below that area that they get from time to time.

Will be writing a book soon. About a ride around Thailand on one of these bikes. A 5000 km. 2 week loop (yes I will be taking my time, no 1000+km days this time)

On choosing a bike I was hoping for someone help. Real in the saddle time on these bikes.

What is top speed ?

What is MPG or KM/L ?

Any service problems ?

I get many stories from the dealer of 160 km top speed and 70 km/l Blah blah blah.
It's not a ego thing I just need real help to decide which one to go with.

Again 2011 Honda Wave 110 FI or 125 Fi or Yamaha Spark 135 I

This ride is just like the regular folks would do, only longer.

Thanks for any help you can give

By: Anonymous: Anonymous ()  Sunday, 15 May 2011 @ 03:09 PM ICT  

Hello Jeffrey,

you should not forget the Suzuki Hayate in your selection. It has a FI is a modern 125 not like the Yamaha with carbs and you'll get more km per litre. Also it is ready for E10 and for sure it is not slowly.

But all the people here recommend always Honda or Yamaha. You can go to Sahapanich Chiangmai, Chotana Rd. No. 62 (close to Toyota).

I hope I could help you in any way.

Best regards Roland

By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Sunday, 15 May 2011 @ 03:16 PM ICT  

Quote by: Anonymous

Hello Jeffrey,

you should not forget the Suzuki Hayate in your selection. It has a FI is a modern 125 not like the Yamaha with carbs and you'll get more km per litre. Also it is ready for E10 and for sure it is not slowly.

But all the people here recommend always Honda or Yamaha. You can go to Sahapanich Chiangmai, Chotana Rd. No. 62 (close to Toyota).

I hope I could help you in any way.

Best regards Roland

The Yamaha is fuel injected 4 valve and water cooled. However after my wife's Mio, I am worried about Yamaha because they did nothing about my problems, even went to headquarters in BKK

I have a very old Suzuki Step 125 that always surprises me when I ride it. It exceeds my expectations for a small 10 year old 20,000km bike. Has done it's job well over the years of abuse. Tires, Oil, and a light bulb and new seat is all we did to it.

Thanks I will check into it

By: news (offline)  Sunday, 15 May 2011 @ 03:57 PM ICT  

The Yamaha Spark 135i is probably the first fuel-injection motorcycle on the Thai market, and the engine has some years under its belt, therefor it's rock solid. And it's probably the fastest step-through motorcycle available in Thailand.

Basically if you think in durability you should select one of the Honda Wave's, as any Thai mechanic will explain you they are nearly indestructible...

From your original post I understand that you prefer a 4-speed gear with semi-automatic clutch. You could also look at the Suzuki Shogun 125 EPI (fuel-injection) which is basically very similar to a Honda Wave 125 PGM-FI but for less money...

In principal a 110cc Honda Wave will be better on fuel economics, until you load to large farangs on it and ride around the mountains – because in that situation the more powerful 125cc with fuel-injection is probably a better choice.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Ric ()  Sunday, 15 May 2011 @ 04:40 PM ICT  

With the relaxed riding position of step-through motorcycles it's less important how fast the motorcycle can ride, because any speed over 100km/h takes away riding comfort and safety. And speeds over 125km/h is close to insanity, with a step-through becoming so unstable that you most be crazy to ride at that speed.

Just a small side-wind can push you a few meters from riding a straight line... and the suspension of the average step-through motorcycle is completely NOT capable of keeping the motorcycle stable - making it feel, and not only feel, very scary...

By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Sunday, 15 May 2011 @ 06:12 PM ICT  

Quote by: Ric

With the relaxed riding position of step-through motorcycles it's less important how fast the motorcycle can ride, because any speed over 100km/h takes away riding comfort and safety. And speeds over 125km/h is close to insanity, with a step-through becoming so unstable that you most be crazy to ride at that speed.

Just a small side-wind can push you a few meters from riding a straight line... and the suspension of the average step-through motorcycle is completely NOT capable of keeping the motorcycle stable - making it feel, and not only feel, very scary...

I have ridden older Wave 100's, a Tiger CX125, Honda NS150 SP, Click, Airblade, Suzuki step, and more all over Thailand. First, for the story I just want to hit the basics and get a good dependable average bike, Another chapter will be on modifications, Nothing to much. I will get wider wheels and better heavy duty tires, new Shocks for my 100 kg wight + 2 weeks gear, basket, rack, like that. The ride will mostly be back roads, and I am sure mostly upper 80's or low 90s km/h. But at the same time I don't want a dog that only will go 50 or 60 up the hills either. Everything is a balance. The goal will be about 400 - 500 km a day and that should be easy since I have done 800 and 900km on similar bikes before

Again, Thanks for anyones ideas, and remarks

By: news (offline)  Sunday, 15 May 2011 @ 09:58 PM ICT  

Also something you need to consider, when buying a step-through motorcycle, for touring the country is how to get service if you need it. Honda has almost a dealer in every village while Yamaha is not that well distributed throughout the country.

Also in some villages, where the local motorcycle mechanic also doubles as the blacksmith and farm-equipment-repair-guy, you will find that the modern fuel-injection systems is still something of a unknown thing...

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Monday, 23 May 2011 @ 10:13 AM ICT  

Honda claims . . .
Honda Wave FI 110 3.7 L fuel tank and 57 km/l
Honda Wave FI 125 4.0 L fuel tank and 60 km/l
Honda wave AT 110 3.7 L fuel tank and 53 km/l

Guess it's time to go rent a few to check on speed etc . . . .

8 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association