By: Anonymous: Samuel ()  Monday, 07 February 2011 @ 11:15 PM ICT (Read 3199 times)  

I have a serious question about 50cc scooters, my wife tells me we cannot get insurance for them and cannot get them registered. I read the article about the 60cc scooter and was wondering if 10cc would made the difference.

By: news (offline)  Tuesday, 08 February 2011 @ 10:36 AM ICT  

Quote by: Samuel

I have a serious question about 50cc scooters, my wife tells me we cannot get insurance for them and cannot get them registered. I read the article about the 60cc scooter and was wondering if 10cc would made the difference.

The reason why most 50cc scooters/motorcycles are not registered is because they don't pass the emission testing. The main problem is that 50cc scooters are powered by two-stroke engines.

So because 50cc or bigger two-stroke engine scooters do not pass the exhaust emission test, they cannot get registration... no registration means now-a-day that you cannot get insurance.

The Mbike JAF 60T-7 is powered by a 60cc four-stroke engine and registration (license plates) is no problem.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Tuesday, 08 February 2011 @ 11:09 AM ICT  

I believe I am correct that bikes 50cc or less are not allowed on the street so therefore cannot be registered. OK to ride in small sois without plates, they are quite common in Thailand. If your local 7-11 is just outside the moobahn entrance for instance or you live in a small rural village off the main road, I doubt you would have any problems.

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: news (offline)  Tuesday, 08 February 2011 @ 11:44 AM ICT  

Quote by: Flying Squirrel

I believe I am correct that bikes 50cc or less are not allowed on the street so therefore cannot be registered. OK to ride in small sois without plates, they are quite common in Thailand. If your local 7-11 is just outside the moobahn entrance for instance or you live in a small rural village off the main road, I doubt you would have any problems.

50 or 60cc scooters can be registered without any problems... the only problem is that most 50cc scooters are two-strokes. And two-strokes are currently a no no for registration. A 50, 60 or 70cc four-stroke scooter should be no problem at all...

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: BasB ()  Thursday, 01 June 2017 @ 07:14 AM ICT  

Another issue for registration is that a 50cc four-stroke scooter would have problems keeping up with traffic in Thailand. The cruising speed of a motor vehicle in Thailand needs to be at least 80km/h. Also the Thai road safety regulations have a minimum 0 to 80km/h standard which most 50cc scooters would fail.

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Thursday, 01 June 2017 @ 08:39 AM ICT  

Scooters 50cc or less cannot be registered and are not allowed on main streets.

They may be used unregistered on small sois and in the village.

Unless I missed something good luck finding a 60cc scooter.

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: news (offline)  Thursday, 01 June 2017 @ 07:16 PM ICT  

Officially the Thai government has nothing against a 50cc motorcycle or scooter, actually the rules not even talk about the combustion volume of a engine to be road legal. But as BasB said a 50cc scooter will probably fail to minimum performance requirements.

Thailand doesn’t has any special rules or laws for 50cc motorcycles or scooters and a 50cc will be considered a full motor vehicle similar to a 125cc and therefore minimum performance rules apply.

It would be dangerous if a 50cc scooter would not accelerate fast enough from a red light, or could not keep up with the speed of average traffic, brake quick enough or a few more things…

The 60cc scooter that was legally sold in 2011 is currently not available anymore, basically it cost to much to make a small engine to performance good. A 100 or 110cc simple engine will easily comply with Thai road safety regulations.

news

Group Comfort
Level:

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 86 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association