By: Anonymous: Jason ()  Tuesday, 28 December 2010 @ 10:31 AM ICT (Read 4513 times)  

I'm aware that there's a difference in tyre pressure from when the tyre is hot and cold. So, when checking tyre pressures, it's best to check them, say, in the morning before going for a ride.

The thing is that, while that's Okay, I typically find the time I check my tyres is when I'm at a petrol station mid-ride. As I'm less-than-inclined to hand around for the tyre to cool down, I tend to simply put the forecourt hose on the tyre and give it, say 34psi front and 40psi rear with the hope that's right. I'm thinking it might be better to get it more exact. Is there an adjustment up or down I should make for when the tyres are hot?

By: Anonymous: Hot ()  Tuesday, 28 December 2010 @ 11:38 AM ICT  

I have found that it's pointless worrying about accurate tyre pressure, especially when using
petrol/gasoline pressure gauges because they are sooooooo inaccurate.

Probably best to carry your own trusted gauge.
Oh, I always check hot.

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Tuesday, 28 December 2010 @ 01:47 PM ICT  

Quote by: Jason

I'm aware that there's a difference in tyre pressure from when the tyre is hot and cold. So, when checking tyre pressures, it's best to check them, say, in the morning before going for a ride.

The thing is that, while that's Okay, I typically find the time I check my tyres is when I'm at a petrol station mid-ride. As I'm less-than-inclined to hand around for the tyre to cool down, I tend to simply put the forecourt hose on the tyre and give it, say 34psi front and 40psi rear with the hope that's right. I'm thinking it might be better to get it more exact. Is there an adjustment up or down I should make for when the tyres are hot?

There's no substitute for accurate and regular tire pressure checks and the best advice I can give is to invest in your own gauge rather than rely on those found on garage forecourts.

Starting at 35psi front and 42psi rear (cold) these pressures could rise to anything from 37 to 42psi front and 43 to 50psi rear, depending on how hot they get. Checking them mid-ride will give you a clue as to whether your pressures are okay or not but it is not very accurate and could be misleading, so it is essential to allow the tire to cool down before taking its pressure. Having tires inflated to their correct pressures can make a huge difference to handling and to tire wear rates.

Officially the tire pressures specified in your motorcycle manual are intended to be measured at cold temperature.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: PSI ()  Tuesday, 28 December 2010 @ 06:45 PM ICT  

Agree with above.
When riding through Central Oz years ago I used to vary my tyre/tire pressures according to the road/track/non track conditions.

I do the same when riding through Laos now.

An accurate/reliable pressure gauge is essential.
But where do we check its accuracy? Where can we be sure to find an accurate standard?

By: monoguy (offline)  Tuesday, 28 December 2010 @ 09:01 PM ICT  

Quote by: PSI

Agree with above.
When riding through Central Oz years ago I used to vary my tyre/tire pressures according to the road/track/non track conditions.

I do the same when riding through Laos now.

An accurate/reliable pressure gauge is essential.
But where do we check its accuracy? Where can we be sure to find an accurate standard?

i only check the pressures before i leave my place. which mean only do it when ur tyre is cold.
you can get the info of the tyre pressure from the "Made" of your tyre company web.
u will get most of the info there. Smile

Jeffrey

monoguy

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Anonymous: PSI ()  Tuesday, 28 December 2010 @ 09:39 PM ICT  

Hi Monoguy,

Yes, I know that.
What I'm wondering is how can we be absolutely sure that the pressure
gauges we buy and use are accurate? Where do we check?

I have bought a few here in Thailand and they have all varied by up to 10psi!
I checked against the gauge at my local Honda car shop, assuming they would be accurate.

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association