By: Anonymous: Derek ()  Tuesday, 13 May 2008 @ 09:40 AM ICT (Read 7104 times)  

I'm scared of accelerating hard on my new Yamaha FZ6. I had a Honda CBR-150R before, but recently upgraded to this 600cc Yamaha. How hard is it to flip a bike?

By: news (offline)  Tuesday, 13 May 2008 @ 08:27 PM ICT  

Relax, you won't flip it. Or rather, it's so unlikely when riding normally that it's not worth worrying about. The front may lift on the power, especially if you wind it on hard over a crest, but your self-preservation instincts will probably make you roll off well before you ride through 90 degree.

Of course, if you're trying to wheelie, rough and overeager throttle abuse once you've hoisted the front wheel might well dump you off the back, though even that's pretty hard work. Just as when riding normally, your survival instincts will probably have you rolling off before you flip the bike.

What you might want to worry about is your landing. You could get into real trouble if the bars turn while the front wheel is off the floor, or if you chop the power off so the front end drops hard. The front end will shimmy and if you're going fast, or if you have a white-knuckle grip on the bars, that could be you off.

When the front comes up, keep a light grip on the controls and ease off the throttle: it takes just a slight reduction in throttle opening to let the wheel return gently to the ground. And not forget to try to keep the front wheel straight.

As you come from a much lighter motorcycle, I would suggest that you first get comfortable with the weight difference and handling of this bigger machine.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: likeabudgiesbeak ()  Wednesday, 21 May 2008 @ 02:48 PM ICT  

The FZ6 has a wheelie inhibitor i think

By: Anonymous: BikerX ()  Monday, 19 January 2009 @ 04:37 PM ICT  

Even with the wheelie inhibitor it is still possible to get the Yamaha’s front wheel of the floor.

The best lesson is to take it easy for the first few months (depending how much time you spend with your bike). Best you do some training on stopping and accelerating to discover your limits. And with more and more training you will see that you will have much more control over the bike…

By: Chris (offline)  Monday, 19 January 2009 @ 10:40 PM ICT  

Friend of mine moved from a cbr150 to a Ducati ST2, but hasn't learn't how to corner yet. Despite us telling him that this bike is a thoroughbred, he still reckons the CBR corners better, and rumour has it he can't go all the way round a roundabout yet! Has to get off at every exit! Moral of the story, take it easy, build your skills and don't run before you can walk, but enjoy your very fine and capable new ride.

Chris

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: Anonymous: offer fox ache ()  Friday, 23 January 2009 @ 07:05 PM ICT  

Sounds like you'd be better off with the CBR 150...

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association