By: Anonymous: Danny ()  Monday, 23 August 2010 @ 03:26 AM ICT (Read 2670 times)  

I have been reading about licenses in Thailand and have a question. First a little history. I have been in and out of thailand for 5 years now. I have a wife house and farm in the Udon area and a Pickup truck (well technically she does). I work in Iraq and Afghanistan so I am there for no longer than a month at a time 2 or 3 times a year.
We also have good insurance with me listed on it.
Now all I have is my US drivers license and have been pulled over a dozen times for no reason other then the tea money stops. I even had a accident once. Some one ran into the back of me when I and 2 other cars had to come to a stop to ovoid a buffalo crossing the road. I seem to have no trouble with the police and insurance company with my drivers license so far. I have been told that it was good enough as long as it was valid and I am there on tourist visa.
Now I am planing on buying a bike this time home and I do have a motor cycle endorsement. But I am reading in here that I need an international drivers license to be legal unless I am reading it wrong.
So is my US drivers license good or not in Thailand.
For now it is impossible for me to get one unless I go back to the states and that will not be happening anytime in the foreseeable future.

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Monday, 23 August 2010 @ 06:28 AM ICT  

Quote by: Danny

I have been reading about licenses in Thailand and have a question. First a little history. I have been in and out of thailand for 5 years now. I have a wife house and farm in the Udon area and a Pickup truck (well technically she does). I work in Iraq and Afghanistan so I am there for no longer than a month at a time 2 or 3 times a year.
We also have good insurance with me listed on it.
Now all I have is my US drivers license and have been pulled over a dozen times for no reason other then the tea money stops. I even had a accident once. Some one ran into the back of me when I and 2 other cars had to come to a stop to ovoid a buffalo crossing the road. I seem to have no trouble with the police and insurance company with my drivers license so far. I have been told that it was good enough as long as it was valid and I am there on tourist visa.
Now I am planing on buying a bike this time home and I do have a motor cycle endorsement. But I am reading in here that I need an international drivers license to be legal unless I am reading it wrong.
So is my US drivers license good or not in Thailand.
For now it is impossible for me to get one unless I go back to the states and that will not be happening anytime in the foreseeable future.

Officially no, your US drivers license is not valid in Thailand, you need a international drivers permit or a Thai drivers license.

I can advice you to go for the Thai drivers license, it cost very little and the test is absolutely simple – the additional benefits of a Thai drivers license are that you pay the Thai entrance fee's at parks and entertainment.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: taichiplanet (offline)  Monday, 23 August 2010 @ 10:37 AM ICT  

Better to get the thai licence if you can; you will have to check with your local DLT to see whether you can get them on a tourist visa. I am sure if you do the right thing they should allow it. Wink

Very easy to get if you already have the licences in another country. I was issued a Thai car licence using my Australian licence as reference. Didn't have to do the exam, you just have to do the eye-sight and reaction tests. I would think it would be the same for the bike licence (i didn't have an Aust. one so had to do the whole test process; was easy but took most of the day).

If you do go for the thai licences you will need a letter of residency from immi and a doctor's certificate; times 2 if going for both licences. Plus 3 passport photos, photocopies and obviously your passport and US licences. Can't remember the cost for the temporary (1 year) licences, i think it was about B105 for the bike one and B155 for the car. I've just renewed them and got 5 years now, cost was B405 for the bike and B665 for the car.

The other good thing about having a thai licence is that many tourist attractions will only charge you thai price for entry!

You may be able to get the International licence through the mail, using the AAA (American Automobile Association) or National Automobile Club (tho only ones recognised in the US to issue International Licenses). The USA International Driving Permit

Although there are many different cultures, races and religions in the world, there are only 3 types of people; those that squeeze every last drop out of a toothpaste tube, those that don’t and those that think they do.

taichiplanet

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association