By: Anonymous: Ben ()  Monday, 09 August 2010 @ 05:49 PM ICT (Read 3124 times)  

Two-stroke oil is getting harder to get in our village, but that our local boat shop I saw Pennzoil Marine synthetic two-stroke oil. Is that safe to use in my motorcycle?

By: Anonymous: Sam ()  Monday, 09 August 2010 @ 08:16 PM ICT  

The short answer is 'Yes'. The long answer is that marine oils, contain a significantly greater amount of rust and corrosion inhibitors than ordinary motorcycle two-stroke oil – as you would expect from their use in water. Additionally, marine oils are designated as 'ash-less.' Most motorcycle two-stroke oil manufacturers feel that a small percentage of ash offers increased scuffing protection for the top-end.

The final point on the difference between marine two-stroke oils and high-performance motorcycle two-stroke oils is that most marine oils are designed to be used with emission controls and in oil injection systems.

Premix oils, by comparison, use longer chain molecules to mix better with the fuel in your fuel tank. Marine two-stroke oils can be used, but it isn't optimum.

By: Matty (offline)  Wednesday, 11 August 2010 @ 11:49 PM ICT  

Hi all, Ive had a fair bit of marine outboard experience, owning several fishing/ diving boats with outboards ranging from 2 cylinder 35HP Johnsons to 4 cylinder 40HP Mercurys till my current Evinrude 3 cylinder 70hp outboard. I have also raced Power Dingies ( small aluminium or kevlar hulls with 8 or 10hp (usually mercury) outboards that we race down rivers over rapids rocks and logs or whatever the wild river can provide us , 2 man crew, one driving one swinging much the same as a side car bike racer has to swing out to get the bike to turn flat bottom hulled boats require a great deal of leaning out to get them to steer. )
rambling again
anyway almost all 2 stroke outboards are designed to run full throttle at between 5000rpm and 6000 rpm
A small capacity 2 stroke motorcycle will rev much higher than this maybe 12000 even 14 or 15000 rpm, also im sure they run much hotter than outboards as outboards have unlimited cool water in an open loop system to keep temperatures down, while a bike has a closed loop cooling system (if water cooled) or are air cooled. which im sure run much much hotter than an outboard.
So in my opinion i would not use Outboard oil in a motorbike whether 2 stroke or 4 stroke,
due to the fact the oil is not designed to handle such high revs
and its designed to operate at cooler temperatures than in a bike.

So if u are having trouble sourcing 2 stroke oil where u live, can i suggest you buy a 4 litre pack next time you or somebody u know visits Bkk
or contact your local bike shop or petrol station, im sure they can order you some.
Whatever you do, if u care for your bike use quality , good 2 stroke motorcycle oil.

cheers
Matt..

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association