By: daid (offline)  Thursday, 05 August 2010 @ 12:03 PM ICT (Read 4985 times)  

Dear forum

My friend and I are planning on taking a 5 to 7 year motor bike trip around all the countries in Asia and Europe. We need good ride advice as we haven't done anything like this before. We need good 250 cc bikes which can handle a lot of weight and is comfortable for long rides as well as ok to good fuel consumption. We need a great weather proof GPS for anywhere in Asia and Europe. Could you also give us some names of good gear to wear so we can be safe at any time, any where with any condition. We also need good lock for our bike and a good immobilizer. Also a hand full of tools needed to fix most bike issues on the road. Generally any advise, recommendations and tips will help us a long way. We plan to do this trip in 6 Months so right now there is no rush. Another thing to keep in account is we only have a small budget of around 350,000 baht between us and we each want our own bike.

Thanks for any response

David de Clerck

PS were looking into the tiger boxer RS

daid

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: Richard (offline)  Thursday, 05 August 2010 @ 12:21 PM ICT  

I'm sure that you'll find that the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is a suitable motorcycle for a trip like this. I can only suggest to contact Tiger Motor Co. Ltd to ask if they are interested to join the team to make this happen.

And not forget to contact other automotive manufactures for sponsorship, I can think of Shell for petrol and lubrication products, Michelin for tires, Shark for helmets and other manufacturers for gear and the same for GPS and communication equipment... Not expect stuff to come free, but even the smallest discount can help...

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: daid (offline)  Thursday, 05 August 2010 @ 03:09 PM ICT  

Really that sounds like a great idea. only thing is I dont speak any thai and asking for sponsorship in Thailand would be complicated.
As well as if I asked shell and I run out of petrol in a country which doesnt have shell then want? Its a great idea but i need to speak thai as well as the sponsor being well diverse.

daid

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: Jackknive ()  Thursday, 05 August 2010 @ 04:00 PM ICT  

run out of petrol in a country which doesn't have Shell

I wonder which country that would be, Iran, Afghanistan or dangerstan? I think it's safe to say if they not have Shell petrol you not want to be there...Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

By: Richard (offline)  Thursday, 05 August 2010 @ 04:17 PM ICT  

I agree with Jackknive, Shell is probably one of the worlds best available petrol brands (especially Asia and Europe).

And not forget, when you have a petrol company supporting you – things like motorcycles and gear will come much easier. After you have your basic gear sponsors you can start to look for sponsors who are willing to pay for using your endurance ride for promotions. Think Redbull, Singha, Heineken, Canon, Fuji, Xerox and a few more... All this brands often us motorcycle sport and activities to promote there products.

I can remember of two German guys who once asked KTM to support them, and where turned down, so they moved BMW and BMW supported them with two giant GS Adventure machines on which they explored a whole continent...

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:

By: daid (offline)  Friday, 06 August 2010 @ 01:07 PM ICT  

Dear Richard

Do you happen to know the two German guys because asking about sponsorship is harder in Thailand, I would imagine. I would also like to know if anyone has any sponsorship details as I have never asked to be sponsored before. I do admit it is a fantastic idea epically since cost is our limiting factor.

So if you have ever been sponsored please leave a comment about the experience and how you go about getting one.

Thank you David de Clerck

daid

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Richard (offline)  Friday, 06 August 2010 @ 02:27 PM ICT  

First, for marketing funding your trip is to long, you need to shorten it to one year, after you come into contact with the marketing/public relation of motorcycle company you can float the idea of running the show longer.

Second, you need to make a real solid plan, from where you start where you go which countries which town what you going to do there...etc.

And another tip is forget the offices of manufacturers you want to contact, go direct to the head office. And not forget to include Honda in your list of companies to contact, they are planning big things in Southeast Asia which also includes big bikes. It could be that you could hick with a marketing campaign to promote one of the latest 250cc or maybe bigger.

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: ben ()  Friday, 06 August 2010 @ 10:51 PM ICT  

Hi im wondering, I am 18 will i get a sponsor for something like this if i tried? also is it easy to get sponsored for something like this?

8 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association