21 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Anonymous: Angus ()  Saturday, 17 July 2010 @ 02:16 PM ICT (Read 18144 times)  

I'm new to biking and have just bought a Kawasaki D'Tracker 250.

I'm trying to get kitted out with protective clothing...jacket/boots etc....and then to customise the bike....is it just me, or are the
prices here a big rip-off?

I've been to three shops - Panda, Dirt and Racing Corner: The prices of jackets/gloves seem to be marked up by 100% compared to US prices and I'm assuming other gear probably is too. Is it worth going to Singapore to buy? Or buying in the US and having them ship?

Any advice much appreciated Dirt Road

By: Anonymous: shark ()  Saturday, 17 July 2010 @ 04:24 PM ICT  

Quote by: Angus

I'm new to biking and have just bought a Kawasaki D'Tracker 250.

I'm trying to get kitted out with protective clothing...jacket/boots etc....and then to customise the bike....is it just me, or are the
prices here a big rip-off?

I've been to three shops - Panda, Dirt and Racing Corner: The prices of jackets/gloves seem to be marked up by 100% compared to US prices and I'm assuming other gear probably is too. Is it worth going to Singapore to buy? Or buying in the US and having them ship?

Any advice much appreciated Dirt Road

Hi,

you are right, motorcycle accessories are cheaper in USA, the taxes are very high in Thailand for imported product. singapore and hong kong have the same problem ,on the top of that is it worth the trip ?
you can try another shop like Rider's on silom soi 9 (=sathorn 12 ), or blacksteed.com, or ninja-shop.net, those are small shops with a large selection of accessories, i am sure that you will find there the products that you need.

bye

Sylvain

By: tigersachsclub (offline)  Saturday, 17 July 2010 @ 06:41 PM ICT  

I think it shouldn't really be called rip-off as it is merely the import taxes here. Sylvain already mentioned some of the good shops and i also made some list of online resources where you may just find what you may need. http://tigersachsclub.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19

hope that helps & happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox
"i wanna ride you!"

tigersachsclub

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Anonymous: Jackknive ()  Saturday, 17 July 2010 @ 06:55 PM ICT  

The Kawasaki D-Tracker 250 you bought is probably also a bit higher in price than outside Thailand. Sure if I was you and a overseas trip was on the agenda I will surely look around, but I will not travel to get some cheaper stuff.

By: Matty (offline)  Saturday, 17 July 2010 @ 07:07 PM ICT  

Hi, i have a 600cc road bike in Australia, and intend to buy a bike in Thailand next month. i have purchased a lot of protective gear from E-bay. with absolutely no problems and at less thaan 1/2 the cost as i would have paid in motorbike shops here is Aus, I have bought 3 helmets, boots and 2 jackets. mostly from the USA.
What i do is go to bike shops, try on the helmets for size, comfort and fit, check the price , then order from E-bay.
Same with boots and jackets.
This ensures you get the correct size and fit.
You can do this also from Thailand, just make sure the E-bay seller isnt charging huge freight costs, some offer free freight, others are reasonable freight charges.
You will save big money buying this way and wont have to make a trip just to get quality gear.
Hope this helps
Matty...

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Richard (offline)  Saturday, 17 July 2010 @ 07:28 PM ICT  

With buying from foreign online shops and Ebay, you have the chance that the postman who delivers the stuff also has a few documents and want the import duty. If this happens, the low cost of the product quickly disappears and often the product becomes more expensive than when you bought it at your local motorcycle shop.

On the other hand I also know that not all products are being charged with import duty, it seems to be a lucky draw... So if you feel lucky order online, if you not feel so lucky you order at some of the local shops.

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: taichiplanet (offline)  Sunday, 18 July 2010 @ 07:53 AM ICT  

Talking to other farang it does seem that using the postal service as opposed to say DHL you have more chance of getting away with not paying taxes; not 100% sure of this. Maybe the volume of stuff through Thai Post is much greater so you have a better chance of it slipping through than with DHL etc.

Although there are many different cultures, races and religions in the world, there are only 3 types of people; those that squeeze every last drop out of a toothpaste tube, those that don’t and those that think they do.

taichiplanet

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4

By: tigersachsclub (offline)  Sunday, 18 July 2010 @ 08:10 AM ICT  

Quote by: taichiplanet

Talking to other farang it does seem that using the postal service as opposed to say DHL you have more chance of getting away with not paying taxes; not 100% sure of this. Maybe the volume of stuff through Thai Post is much greater so you have a better chance of it slipping through than with DHL etc.

Thaichi, i can confirm this....and make sure it is sent as gift too. I got pants and tankbag via dhl and had to pay extra...now i got my Bike spares 2x via USPS and 1x DHL. ..the dhl was caught and i had to pay import tax, the USPS shipment went through without any hassle.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox
"i wanna ride you!"

tigersachsclub

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Anonymous: Angus ()  Tuesday, 20 July 2010 @ 02:09 PM ICT  

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the information and advice. You've saved me a speculative trip to Singapore when I'd really rather be out riding
my bike Dirt Road

I'll try the Silom 9 shop this evening... otherwise I'll probably size the stuff here, then get someone from back home (UK) to
buy it and send it as a gift.

I agree with the advantage of sending things here by normal post...remove labels/receipts etc. Have had some things slip through and some others where
I had to pay the postman extra.

Thanks again guys. Happy riding Thumbup

By: Anonymous: Angus ()  Sunday, 01 August 2010 @ 02:41 PM ICT  

Checked out the sathorn shop - had a few nice jackets, pants etc but still with sky high prices.
Dirt Bike had loads of stuff but hardly any stock and didn't know when or what would be delivered next. Manager said she would
phone with info but didn't. Nft.

Finally found a small supplier through a mate (in the On Nuit area) and
got an absolute bargain Alpine Stars jacket, textile with leather panelling Inc chest and
back armour - 2800 baht. Result!

By: Anonymous: david ()  Monday, 02 August 2010 @ 09:51 PM ICT  

So this friend does he have a number to call to get the jackets or is there a physical store I can go check out?

If there is could you give a more accurate description of the location?

By: Anonymous: nilez ()  Tuesday, 23 November 2010 @ 06:55 PM ICT  

Hey there people! may be someone can tell me the names and address of actual bike clothing shop in phuket? i'll better buy just a helmet and back protector from dainese rather than full protection equpment of noname brand. Actually if you know proved names of local brands, say them please i'll try it with pleasure. But you know anyway im looking for shop with original equipment as well coz i dont want to risk my life much and want to buy good helmet and back protector

By: Richard (offline)  Tuesday, 23 November 2010 @ 07:20 PM ICT  

I ordered now a few times from BikeBandit in the USA, and let them deliver in Thailand. This works very satisfaction, especially because the huge discounts on stuff that cost in Thailand even more then regular price. BikeBandit Specials Up to 67% Off

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: nilez ()  Thursday, 23 December 2010 @ 01:47 PM ICT  

thanks Richard, i'll chek it out

By: Anonymous: Neil G ()  Thursday, 23 December 2010 @ 02:50 PM ICT  

hey guys

check out New Enough in USA .... they have lots of good stuff .

Dont be confused by there name they only sell new gear ..... i have ordered many time and saved a lot of money compared to prices here in Thailand. Even with shipping and tax its still works out more than 60-70% cheaper .

21 posts :: Page 1 of 2
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association